Dunbartonshire Accidents

This section contains newspaper reports on selected accidents in Dunbartonshire. Please check the indexes in the Accidents Section for reports by the Inspector of Mines and accidents in other areas.

13 December 1815

On Monday, 13th ult. Mr John Anderson, jun, eldest son of Mr John Anderson, Milton collieries, Dumbartonshire, was found drowned in the coal-pit of a neighbouring proprietor. He was missed on the preceding Saturday. [Caledonian Mercury 16 December 1815]

15 May 1858

Fearful Colliery Explosion – Four Lives lost - On Saturday morning early a fearful explosion of fire damp took place in Mr Dunn's Colliery, near Duntocher. Up till Monday afternoon three of the bodies had been recovered; great exertions are being made to reach the place where it is supposed the fourth body will be found. The explosion must have been very violent. One of the bodies was fearfully burned, no trace of clothing could be found on it. Hutches, &c., were driven in one mass to the bottom of shaft, and one of the boxes was blown right up the shaft a distance of nearly 100 fathoms. The Procurator Fiscal has visited the colliery. Mr Alexander, Government Inspector of Mines, and the manager have had a consultation; they afterwards descended the shaft and examined the works. In exploring, great care and caution is required, as the fire damp still lurks in the openings, and is only forced out as the airways advance. [Hamilton Advertiser May 22 1858]

26 July 1862

Dumbarton – Two Men Killed at a Coal Pit - Between three and four o'clock on Saturday afternoon, Matthew M'Kinnon and William Hunter, shankers in No. 1 Croy sinking pit, in the parish of Cumbernauld, were precipitated from the mouth of the shaft to the bottom, a distance of forty fathoms, and killed. The two men had been lowered down the shaft to the distance of fifteen fathoms for the. purpose of bringing to the pit-head an iron cistern. An iron chain was attached to each end of the cistern and secured by bolts . The men were in the cistern, and were being drawn up and when within four feet from the pit mouth , the edge of the cistern came into contact with the side of the shaft, simultaneously the bolts snapped and men and cistern were precipitated to the bottom, in which were five fathoms of water, M'Kinnon's body was got in the course of an hour, and Hunter's body in four hours after the accident. Both the unfortunate men were married, and resided in Kilsyth. The Procurator-Fiscal is inquiring into the circumstances of the case. [Scotsman 29 July 1862]

29 November 1862

Coal Pit Accident - On Saturday morning, while a miner, named Robert Durie, residing at Auchinairn, was employed at No. 4 Springfield ironstone pit, he was seized with a fit, and began foaming at the mouth. The fit continued about 20 minutes, and when the poor man got better he was advised by his fellow-workmen to to home, but he refused. After working for some time, he said he would go home, and went to the bottom-man and asked to be sent to the surface. He then went into the cage, and the bottom-man gave the signal to the engineman to raise the cage; and the machinery was accordingly set in motion. When the cage reached the pit mouth the head of Durie was observed hanging over the side of the cage, and before the engine could be stopped his head came in contact with the "sneck," whereby his neck was dislocated, and death immediately ensued. It is supposed that the poor man, who is only 17 years of age, had taken a fit while the cage was ascending. [Glasgow Herald 2 December 1862]

30 January 1866

Fatal Accident At Kilsyth – On Tuesday forenoon, a joiner in the employment of Messrs Baird, Gartsherrie Iron Works, named Daniel Laverry, aged 44 years, residing at Smellie's Land, New Dundyvan, was killed at No 6 Pit Gartshore, Kilsyth. It seems that he had been sent down from the works, along with a number of other men, to erect an enginehouse, and while working near the fly wheel it was unfortunately set in motion, but how we did not learn. The deceased was jammed between the wheel and the wall and killed. The body was brought home to his house that same aft in a cart. He has left a widow and ten of a family, four only of the latter being at home, the rest are working. [Hamilton Advertiser 3 February 1866]

7 September 1867

Kilsyth Fatal Pit Accident - William Graham, a miner, residing at Riskend, Kilsyth, forty-four years of age, was instantly killed in No. 2 Ironstone Pit, Gartshore, on Saturday, by one of the hutches falling upon him with great force [Scotsman 10 September 1867]

With thanks to Claire Wright for this information

20 July 1878

A colliery explosion, involving the loss of three lives and causing great destruction of property, occurred on Saturday evening at the Wester Gartshore Collieries, Kirkintilloch. The shaft at which the explosion occurred is named No 2, and the shaft was being sunk in order to get at a coal seam known as “Braes O'Zetts' Main.” The depth to which the shaft had been sunk was 37 fathoms, being within about 17 ft of the coal. The shifts of men, 5 each in number, who were employed at the work about two weeks ago, it is said, discovered signs of fire damp in the shank. The shaft was regularly examined, and as only one shift of men required to use lamps, the other working in daylight, and the lamp used being the Davy, no danger was apprehended. The fireman examined the place on Saturday morning, and, though conscious of the existence of one or two “feeders” at the bottom, did not think there was any danger to life. About 20 minutes to 6 three men named James Harper, Edward Griffin and Robert Gray were accordingly sent down and had completed the process of drilling holes for the dynamite cartridges employed in sinking the shaft. Hot iron had been sent down for sinking the fuse, and the men, it is believed, were about the ascend when the explosion took place. The pit head frame and surface gearing was blown away by the shock, and the sides of the shaft fell in and buried the three men in the ruins. The explosion is supposed to have been caused by firedamp rather than through too rapid ignition of dynamite. [The Times July 22 1878]

Wester Gartshore Colliery Explosion – Recovery of the Bodies - The bodies of the three men killed by the explosion which took place at Wester Gartshore, near Kirkintilloch, on 20th July last, were recovered during Saturday afternoon last. From the uncertainty which prevailed as to the cause of the explosion, and the difference of opinion as to whether it occurred in the shaft or on the surface, combined with anticipation that the appearance of the bodies would in a great measure decide the cause of death, their recovery was a matter of great interest. Several delays occurred during the week through accidents to pumps, &c, and this delay seemed only to increase the interest. A report getting abroad on Friday that they would be got at in the evening, large numbers flocked to the spot, many of them remaining over the night. An effort was made to clear the bore which drained the shaft previous to the explosion, and while endeavouring to grapple the chain which kept it open so as to run off the water, the men caught the foot of one of the bodies, bringing the shoe to the surface, and as this showed the body to be lying over it, no further effort was made with the bore. The names of the three men killed were James Harper, Edward Griffen, and Robert Gray. The body of Gray was the first which was got at, and as he was found as if he had been standing by the "kettle," it is supposed that he was in the act of stepping on when the explosion occurred. The body was much bruised over the arms and head. The next recovered was that of James Harper. He was lying apparently underneath Gray, as if he had been struck down, the only injury to his body being at the left ankle, which was broken, no doubt caused by the falling debris. Griffen's body was the last to be recovered. It was found in a crouching position in a corner at the opposite side of the kettle from Gray. The bodies were not otherwise disfigured, and were easily identified - not a hair of their heads was singed. Immediately on being brought up the bodies were coffined, those of Griffen and Harper being provided by the Messrs Wallace, and placed side by side in a mortuary erected at the pit-head. Much sympathy is felt for the bereaved widows and families of Harper and Griffen, the former of whom leaves three young child rev, while Mrs Harper is at present enciente. This bereaved woman has spent the greater part of each day at the pit, anxiously waiting the recovery of her husband's body. Griffen's wife has five children, two of whom are by a former marriage. Mrs Griffen has been in such feeble health that she had to be assisted to the pit in order to gratify her desire to see the body of her husband. The two families, none of whom were able to assist themselves, are left totally destitute. So far the appearance both of the bodies and shaft are such as to lead to the conclusion that the explosion was not the result of fire damp. The bodies were allowed to be buried without any official inquiry being made. [Falkirk Herald 19 September 1878]

8 May 1879

Singular Colliery Accident Near Kirkintilloch – Two Men Killed - An accident, involving the loss of two lives, has occurred at No. 1 pit of the Kilsyth Coal Company, Solsgirth Collieries, near Kirkintilloch. The pit, which is 137 fathoms deep, is worked by means of a double cage, and on Thursday evening when the men were ceasing work for the day, five colliers entered the cage for the purpose of ascending to the surface, two of them taking the upper cage, and the other three, named Hugh Paterson, James Irvine, and Thomas M'Guinis, the lower. On the cage approaching the pithead , it was discovered that of the three men in the lower cage Paterson was missing while Irvine was hanging halfway out and when extricated it was found that he had sustained severe injuries about the head and upper parts of the body. He only survived about half-an-hour. The narrative of M'Guinis is that when about 70 fathoms up, while sitting with his back to the two men, he was startled by a cry, and turning round missed Paterson, while he found Irvine falling out of the cage. He grasped him by the feet, and held on till the cage was stopped. The body of Paterson was afterwards found in the "sump" at the pit-bottom in a dreadfully mangled condition, and life quite extinct. Paterson was about 24 years of age, unmarried, and a native of Fifeshire. Irvine is stated to have been younger, is married, and is a native of Ayrshire. [Scotsman 10 May 1879]

October 1882

On Saturday forenoon, while a young man named John McGingan was engaged at the screen at Wester Gartshore Colliery, he was caught between one of the upright beams and a waggon brake, and so severely crushed on the head that he died in a few hours. [Scotsman 16th October 1882]

7 March 1884

On Friday afternoon, a miner named Maxwell, 19 years of age, met with a serious accident at Baird & Co's No 2 Gartshore pit, which had ended fatally. A stone had become detached from the shank of the pit, and falling upon his legs, bruised them so severely that he was taken to the Infirmary; but death ensued early on Saturday. [Scotsman 10 March 1884]

21 April 1893

Kirkintilloch - Fatal Pit Accident - Yesterday morning William Taylor, an underground manager at Lumloch Pit, Cadder, was killed by a fall from the roof while he was at work there. Taylor was superintending a number of men who were engaged shot-firing, and was returning to the place where the shot had been fired when a stone fell on his head and killed him. He was a middle-aged man, who had for many years been employed as manager in different pits in the neighbourhood, and resided in Kerr Street, Kirkintilloch. [Glasgow Herald 22 April 1893]

25 October 1898

Miners Smoking in Fiery Pits - In the Dumbarton Sheriff Court on Monday, a fatal accident inquiry was held into the death of a miner named Archibald Thomson, sen., who died from injuries he received in an explosion on the 25th October at No. 1 Pit. Nethercroy Collieries, occupied and worked by the Carron Company. From the evidence, it appears locked safety lamps are in use in the pit. The deceased along with his son and another man, named Thomson, were all at one working place. and an explosion occurred in the mine originating here. It seemed that the explosion occurred either by the miners tampering with their lamps to light their pipes or the fire-damp had extinguished their lamps, and they opened them, and struck a match to relight them. The mines inspector, Mr Ronaldson gave the latter conjecture as his opinion of how the explosion happened, and, questioning Mr Wilkie, the manager of the mine, on the dangerous practice of smoking in fiery mines, he elicited the extraordinary statement that reporting miners to the police for breaking the regulations as to smoking, and instituting prosecutions, was not making the men comply with the regulations, because the men subscribed and paid the fines that were imposed. Imprisonment without the option of a fine was the only cure. The jury found that Thomson was accidentally burned by an explosion of gas, and that he died from his injuries on 5th November. [Falkirk Herald 3 December 1898]

23 January 1899

Mining Fatality - John Higney, a miner, residing at 40 Auchinstarry Row, met with an accident which proved fatal in No. 1 Twechar pit on Monday. He was working at the face when a quantity of stones came away from the roof and crushed him severely. On being conveyed home he was attended to by Dr James Park, but the internal injuries were of such a nature that he only survived a few hours. Deceased was 53 years of age. [Falkirk Herald 28 January 1899]

15 August 1899

Fatal Accidents Inquiry - In Dumbarton Sheriff Court on Monday Sheriff Napier and a jury were engaged enquiring into the death of Patrick Fitzpatrick or Colligan, miner, who was injured in No. 1 pit of Wester Gartshore Colliery, Kirkintilloch, on 15th August, and died on 25th August. One of the witnesses stated he had come through a screen he should not have come through. There was an explosion of gas, in which deceased was injured, and afterwards a pipe was found near the place where he had been working. The jury returned a verdict accordingly. [Falkirk Herald 20 September 1899]

15 August 1900

Fatal Result of an Accident - John Connelly, who lived in Shuttle Street, Kilsyth, has died in the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, from injuries reserved at Nethercroy Colliery, combined with bronchitis. On 15th August Connelly accidentally stepped in front of moving hutches, and was knocked down, several ribs being broken, and both legs injured. He was 64 years of age. [Falkirk Herald 1 September 1900]

28 December 1907

Fatal Mining Accident At Kirkintilloch - On Saturday morning a young man named David Riddell (19), residing at Drumgrew was killed while at work in No. 11 pit Gartshore. Along with another drawer, he was taking out a rake of hutches from the working face, and had gone in front to attend to the points. Several of the hutches broke away, and although deceased made for the nearest manhole he was overtaken and so severely crushed that he died from his injuries.  [Scotsman 30 December 1907]

29 July 1915

Kilsyth Miner Killed- James Abercrombie, miner, who resided at William Street, Kilsyth, has been killed in No. 1 Gartshore Colliery, Croy. Abercrombie was repairing one of the underground roads when a fall of material occurred, knocking him down. Some fellow-workmen were preparing to release Abercrombie when a more serious fall took place, burying the unfortunate man. When extricated, Abercrombie was found to be dead. He was 47 and married. [Edinburgh Evening News 29 July 1915]

28 January 1916

Kirkintilloch Man Killed - Charles M'Luckie, employed at the coke ovens at Wester Gartshore Colliery, and residing at Waterside, Kirkintilloch, has died from injuries received at his work on Friday afternoon. He was 50 years of age, and leaves a widow and grown-up family. His brother, Private Robert M'Luckie, 1st Scots Guards, received the D.C.M. a fortnight ago. [Scotsman 31 January 1916]

10 February 1916

Kirkintilloch Miner Killed - James M'Guire, 40 years of age, pit-drawer at St Flannans' colliery, and residing at Black Bull Close, Kirkintilloch, has been killed while at work. He was buried in a fall from the roof. He was unmarried and resided with his widowed-mother. [Scotsman 12 February 1916]

27 September 1918

Court of Session - Miner's Smoke Leads To Explosion - Woodilee Coal and Coke Co Ltd vs Mrs Robertson - Judgement was given in an appeal, in an arbitration under the Workmen's Compensation Act between the Woodilee Coal and Coke Company (Ltd.), Lenzie, and Mrs Annie Robertson, 5 Ledgate , Kirkintilloch, widow of Kenneth Robertson, for herself and her two children. Robertson, who was a miner in the appellants employment, was personally injured by an explosion which occurred about six o'clock on Friday, 27th September 1918, while on the afternoon shift in their Meiklehill Colliery. He died as the result of his injuries. The explosion occurred on his striking a match to light his pipe, after finishing his piece, at the customary knock-off in the middle of the shift. The possession and use of matches in that pit were prohibited by the Coal Mines Act, 1911, and these prohibitions were known to Robertson. Sheriff-Substitute Kippen at Dumbarton found that the explosion was an accident arising out of and in the course of the employment and in law that the appellants were liable to pay £300 of compensation to the widow. The Division reversed that finding, holding that the deceased added a new peril to his employment by striking a match against prohibitions. What he did was for his own purpose, and was innocent enough but did not arise out of his employment. [Scotsman 21 June 1919]

3 October 1925

Croy Pit Fatality - William Law (18), pit bottomer, Barrhill Rows, Twechar, was on Saturday instantly killed in Gartshore No. 1 pit, Croy, belonging to William Baird & Co. (Ltd.) Law had tried to cross the cage at the bottom of the shaft just as it was about to ascend to the surface. He was caught and jammed between the cage and the framework of the shaft. [Scotsman 5 October 1925]

4 February 1927

Gavin Hair, miner, residing at Queenzieburn, Kilsyth, was at work at Auchenreoch Colliery yesterday morning along with his sons, when a fall from the roof occurred, burying him. A few hours elapsed before Hair was extricated. When found he was dead. Deceased returned from Canada only a short time ago. [Scotsman 5 February 1927]

29 March 1927

Peculiar Accident In Coal Mine.—William Sneddon , miner , met with a serious accident in Messrs Wm Baird & Co.'s Auchenreoch Colliery yesterday afternoon. While lying on his side at the coal face using a pick, a fall of coal unexpectedly came away, hit the pick, and drove it into his chest in the neighbourhood of the heart. He was removed to hospital in a serious condition. Sneddon, a married man, resides in Kirkintilloch. [Scotsman 30 March 1927]

23 January 1929

Kirkintilloch Miner Killed - John M'Dade (60), a miner, who resided at 36 Industry Street, Kirkintilloch, met his death in Wester Gartshore colliery early yesterday morning. While at work he was crushed by a large stone falling from the roof, his injuries being internal. Deceased was a widower. [Scotsman 24 January 1929]

11 February 1929

Kirkintilloch Miner Fatally Injured - Robert Abercrombie, miner, who was injured by a large stone falling upon him in Auchenreoch Colliery. Stirlingshire, on Saturday afternoon, yesterday succumbed to his injuries in Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Deceased, who was a young married man, resided at Kilsyth Road, Kirkintilloch. [Scotsman 12 February 1929]

20 June 1929

Kilsyth Miner Killed - James Easton, colliery oncost worker, Charles Street, Kilsyth, was yesterday afternoon instantly killed in Gartshore Pit, Croy. Easton was coming out of the workings at the finish of his shift when a stone fell upon him from the roof of the workings. Deceased was a single man, of fully seventy years of age. [Scotsman 21 June 1929]

19 August 1929

Fire Clay Pit Fatality - Charles Bryson, fireclay miner, residing at Stirling Street, Cumbernauld, was yesterday fatally injured in Messrs J. G. Stein & Co.'s Castlecary fireclay pit. He was at work below ground when a. fall of material unexpectedly occurred, and he was pinned down. Deceased, who was a married man of about 50 years of age, leaves a family of five. [Scotsman 20 August 1929]

19 October 1929

Youth Electrocuted - Kilsyth Pithead Fatality - Hugh Smith (18), apprentice electrician, son of Mr James Smith, colliery manager, 1 Barrhill, Twechar, was on Saturday electrocuted at Messrs William Baird &.Co.'s,No. 11 Gartshore Colliery, Croy. Along with another youth, he was on an iron framework connected with the electric, transformers on the pithead, about 15 feet from the ground. He was engaged cleaning the insulators, when he inadvertently touched a live wire, and was instantaneously killed. His clothing was badly burned. His companion immediately dropped to the ground and escaped injury. [Scotsman 21 October 1929]

2 November 1929

Killed In The Pit - James Neil (46), residing at Auchinloch, near Lenzie, met his death under tragic circumstances on Saturday at Messrs James Nimmo & Company 's Wester Auchingeich Colliery, Auchinairn, Bishopbriggs. Neil was engaged as a machineman, when he was buried by a fall. Assistance was procured, and the debris removed. Dr Jamieson Chryston tried artificial respiration, but life was extinct. Neil leaves a widow and two children. [Scotsman 4 November 1929]

21 November 1929

Mining Fatality - William M'Elhaney (17), miners drawer, who resided at Brick Buildings, Campsie, Stirlingshire, has succumbed to injuries received while at work in the Wester Gartshore Colliery, Eastern Dumbartonshire. The youth was caught by a runaway hutch and very severely injured. He died in the infirmary. [Scotsman 22 November 1929]

19 May 1930

Miners Buried By Roof Fall - Narrow Escapes From Death In Colliery Accident. - Four miners, who were completely buried by extensive fall of roof in Gartshore Colliery (Dumbartonshire) yesterday had narrow escape. It was feared that the men would be suffocated, but being extricated they were found to be alive, but suffering from crushing and bruises. The injured men —William Kennedy, his son Alexander, James Caldwell, and John McGowan —were removed to their homes in an ambulance. [Western Daily Press 20 May 1930]

27 October 1930

Miner Electrocuted - Thomas Smith, miner, Auchinstarry, Croy, Dumbartonshire, was yesterday afternoon electrocuted in Gartshore Colliery, Croy. An electric cable had fused and fallen on to the iron plates on which Smith was standing, and the current passed through the plates and killed him instantly. Deceased was about 40 years of age, and leaves five children. [Scotsman 28 October 1930]

18 June 1931

Hugh Fitzsimmons, aged Eagle Inn, Condorrat, was struck on the head a large stone which fell from the roof yesterday Gartshore No. 3 Pit, Croy, Dumbartonshire, and fatally injured. [Hull Daily Mail 19 June 1931]

5 May 1933

Croy Pit Fatality - Alexander Truten (16), pithead worker, residing at Twechar, was fatally injured last night while a work at Gartshore No. 3 Colliery, Croy. He had been at work at the coal-washing plant when he was caught by a hutch and so severely injured about the neck and chest that he died almost immediately. [Scotsman 6 May 1933]

7 October 1933

Miner Fatally Injured - Hugh Keegans, miner's drawer, son of Hugh Keegans, miner, Westport Street, Kilsyth, was fatally injured when struck by a runaway hutch in Easter Gartshore No. 3 Colliery, Croy, on Saturday. He died within a few minutes of reaching the infirmary. Deceased, who was about nineteen years of age, was a very promising young football player, and was to have played in a Kilsyth District League match on Saturday afternoon, but the game was postponed at the last moment on news being received that he had succumbed to his injuries. [Scotsman 9 October 1933]

13 November 1933

Miner Killed At Croy - Peter Daly, miner, Park Lane, Kilsyth, was killed last night in Number 11 Gartshore Colliery, Croy, by a fall of material from the roof. Daly, who was about 48 years of age leaves a young family. [Scotsman 14 November 1933]

5 June 1935

Young Miner Fatally Injured - Patrick Kelly, miner, Courthill, Kilsyth, was yesterday involved in an accident with a number of hutches in Gartshore No. 11 Colliery, Eastern Dumbartonshire, and received fatal injuries. Kelly, who attained his 19th birthday yesterday, was employed as a chain-runner. [Scotsman 6 June 1935]

November 1935

The first accident occurred at Wester Gartshore Colliery, where John M'Cormack (52), a brusher, was buried by a fall of stone while working at a part of No. 1 Pit known as "Cloven Coal Section," situated approximately 1200 yards from the pit bottom. Death was certified as being due to suffocation. [Scotsman 23 November 1935]

19 December 1935

Fatal Accident In Twechar Colliery - Walter Irvine, oncost worker, Kingston Flats, Kilsyth, was last night killed, while at work in Twechar Colliery, Eastern Dumbartonshire . He was caught by a fall of material and knocked into water, death being instantaneous. A married man, he was well known in Masonic circles, having been Master of Lodge St John No. 39. John Kennedy, another oncost worker, residing at Kingston Flats, Kilsyth, was also involved in the fall, and received injuries to the head and back. [Scotsman 20 December 1935]

11 February 1936

Boy Killed and Father Injured at Twechar, Dumbartonshire - David Boyd, jun.. a lad of 15 years, of Burnbrae , Twechar, Dumbartonshire, was killed in Messrs William Baird & Co.'s Easter Gartshore No. 11 Colliery Croy, on Tuesday night. He had been working alongside his father, David Boyd (42), coal cutting machineman, in a section on the backshift when an explosion took place, the boy being killed outright . The father was severely burned, but succeeded in reaching a telephone and warning the pitheadman. Rescuers who found the boy applied artificial respiration methods for an hour without success. The father was removed to the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. The day shift lay idle yesterday as a result of the tragedy. [Scotsman 13 February 1936]

Second Death In Croy Pit Explosion - David Boyd, sen., coal cutting machineman, Burnbrae, Twechar, Dumbartonshire, has succumbed in the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, to burning injuries received in an explosion in Easter Gartshore No. 11 Colliery, Croy, last week. Deceased, who was 43 years of age, was walking along with his 15-year-old son David when the explosion occurred, the boy being killed instantaneously. The father managed to reach a telephone in the underground workings and inform officials at the pithead regarding the accident. He was immediately removed to the Infirmary, where, as stated, he has died from his injuries. [Scotsman 20 February 1936]

8 July 1936

Colliery Oversmans Fatal Accident - The death occurred yesterday in the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, of Harry Bauld, colliery oversman, Monieburgh Road, Kilsyth, who had been removed there as the result of an accident in No. 12 Easter Gartshore Colliery, Croy Dumbartonshire. A large stone which fell from the roof of the workings fractured his spine. Deceased, who was 59 years of age, leaves a wife and grown-up family. [Scotsman 9 July 1936]

22 April 1937

John Sneddon (16), colliery bencher, Cronulla Place, Kilsyth, succumbed yesterday, in the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, to injuries received in the Easter Gartshore No. 3 Colliery, Croy. He had been at work on an underground road when he was struck by a runaway hutch. [Scotsman 23 April 1937]

26 October 1937

Young Croy Miner Succumbs To Injuries - Edward Gribbon (17), colliery bencher, Hillside , Croy, succumbed in Glasgow Royal Infirmary yesterday to injuries he received on the previous clay when at Easter Gartshore No. 3 Colliery, Croy. He was knocked down by several runaway hutches. [Scotsman 27 October 1937]

31 July 1939

Caught by a wire rope and dragged on to a pulley, John Barrie, 16, of Fisher Avenue, Kilsyth, was killed yesterday at Dullatur Colliery. Barrie had been employed only a short time at the colliery. [Hull Daily Mail 1 August 1939]

31 May 1940

Two Lives Lost In Fire – Gartshore Colliery Outbreak – Missing Man Found Alive - Two men lost their lives as a result of an outbreak of fire early yesterday morning in the underground workings of Easter Gartshore No. 11 Colliery, situated in the Croy district of Dumbartonshire. The colliery belongs to Bairds and Scottish Steel, Ltd. The men were in a party of brushers and repairers numbering between 20 and 30 men engaged at work in various parts of the colliery workings. Those who lost their lives were: William Burns (50), repairer, who resided at Newtown Street, Kilsyth (a widower); and Richard O'Raw (28) repairer, of Shuttle Street, Kilsyth (unmarried). A third man who was reported missing was found alive by a rescue party after a search extending over eleven hours. [Scotsman 31 May 1940]

Two Miners Suffocated - Scottish Colliery Fire - Two men were suffocated in a fire at a section of Gartshore Colliery, Croy, Dumbartonshire, early to-day. They were Richard Oraw, 26, and William Burns, 49, both of Kilsyth. Fire fighting and rescue squads worked all night; and all but the three men reached safety. Rescue teams recovered the bodies. The colliery is owned by Bairds and Scottish Steel, Ltd. The escape of 17 miners attributed to the pluck and resource of Pat McGarry, of Twechar He gathered a team of men from a section in the colliery not affected by the outbreak ; and they were able to assist all but the three victims to safety. [Nottingham Evening Post 31 May 1940]

Three Die In Colliery Fire – Three men were suffocated in a fire at a section of Gartshore Colliery, Croy, Dumbartonshire, early to-day They were: Richard Oraw 27 and William Burns, 66, both of Kilsyth and Archibald Cairns, 40, married with large family, of Twechar. Rescue teams recovered the bodies. [Hull Daily Mail 31 May 1940]

16 October 1941

Colliery Fatality - While at work late on Thursday night in Dullatur Pit, Eastern Dumbartonshire, William Chalmers (50), miner, 41 Kelvin Way, Kilsyth was caught by a fall of material from the roof and killed. He leaves a wife and family of four. [Scotsman 18 October 1941]