Renfrewshire Accidents

This section contains newspaper reports on selected accidents in Renfrewshire. Please check the indexes in the Accidents Section for reports by the Inspector of Mines and accidents in other areas.

29 March 1792

A very melancholy accident happened on Thursday at Lochwinnoch:- In a coal pit near the lake, seven men were at work, when the water got in upon them, by which they were all drowned ; and we are sorry to add, some of them have left numerous families to lament their unfortunate fathers. [Caledonian Mercury 31 March 1792]

Skeleton Found In Coal Pit – On Saturday last, a skeleton was found in the old workings of a pit at Lochlibo, parish of Neilston, and was interred in the Neilston churchyard. It appears that about 52 years ago, the water of the loch broke into the pit, when seven men were unfortunately drowned. The working of the coal was in consequence abandoned, and it was only a few months ago that the aperture through which the water of the loch had entered the pit was closed up, and the water pumped out. In clearing the old workings of the pit, last week, the above skeleton was found, together with a pair of shoes and a few buttons. The skeleton is supposed to be that of a young man – one of the seven drowned 52 years ago. The remains of the other six unfortunate individuals are expected shortly to be discovered. [Glasgow Citizen, quoted in Scotsman 23 September 1843]

1 February 1804

Last Wednesday se'nnight, a coal pit in the neighbourhood of Renfrew, Scotland, was discovered to be on fire. Six unfortunate men were working underground at the time. It is uncertain whether the accident was occasioned by the explosion of gun-powder or foul air. The fire continued to burn for nearly two days, at which time the mouth of the pit was covered up, in expectation of smothering the flame. No person, on Saturday, had ventured to go down, to bring up the bodies of the poor men. [The Times 7 February 1804]

4 September 1804

On Tuesday se'ennight, one of the proprietors of the Renfrew colliery, descended with three others into a pit which had not been worked for some time, to ascertain whether it had been wrought out. After reaching the bottom, they had not proceeded far, when they smelt the firedamp, which in a short time went off, and drove them in different directions, singing their clothes and hair. Fortunately, however, they sustained no other injury. [Caledonian Mercury 15 September 1804]

30 September 1804

Melancholy Accident - A collier, named Gilbert Aird, and Hugh Harper, a boy, went down into a coal-pit at the shore, near Greenock, on Sunday night last, to do some necessary business; on opening a trap door the foul air burst out, and drove them so forcibly against the sides of the pit, that the man died before he was brought out, and the boy was so miserably scorched, that he is not expected to live. Another man who was also in the pit, did not receive the slightest injury. Gilbert Aird has left a widow and six children. [Caledonian Mercury 4 October 1804]

5 January 1805

Last week, while three men were descending a coal pit, in a bucket, at Quarrelton, near Paisley, the rope broke, and they fell to the bottom. Two of them died instantly, the other about two hours after. [Caledonian Mercury 5 January 1805]

22 April 1805

A most dreadful accident happened on Monday morning, at the Hurlet coal work, near Paisley. About nine o'clock, while the men were at work, the inflammable air in the pit took fire. Four men were blown from the bottom of the pit into the air, their bodies torn in pieces, and the mangled parts scattered about in all directions. One of them was found at the distance of 300 yards from the mouth of the pit. There is every reason to fear that other thirteen, who were below, have all been killed. The father of one of the sufferers went down, in the hope of saving them, but was instantly suffocated by the foul air. A horse at the mouth of the pit was killed, and the whole machinery blown to atoms. [Caledonian Mercury 25 April 1805]

We are sorry to learn, that the thirteen colliers stated in our last to have been in the pit at Hurlet, when the explosion took place, have been all found dead. A subscription has been begun in Glasgow, for the relief of the families of the unfortunate sufferers. [Caledonian Mercury 27 April 1805]

The following burials are listed under April 22 1805 in OPR Abbey Parish (final figure is mortcloth money):
George Scot, Hurlet,Age 35, 3s 10d
John Gibie, Hurlet, Age 60, 2s 10d
Andrew son to John Gibie, Hurlet, Age 22, 1s 6d
John son to Andrew Gibbie, Hurlet, Age 25, 5s 10d
(illegible) Paton, son, Hurlet, Age 12, 0s 4d
(illegible) Morison, son, Hurlet, Age 13, 1s 4d

12 September 1821

On the morning of Wednesday last, a young man was descending a coal pit at New Nutshill [sic], near Hurlet, and on attempting to enter the first seam, or bed of coal, he failed, and unfortunately fell to the bottom, a depth of 20 fathoms, by which he was so much injured that he died in six hours afterwards. [Edinburgh Advertiser 18 September 1821]

9 January 1826

On Monday night, a young, man, about 18 years of age, fell down a coal pit at Hurlet, and was killed. [Glasgow 13 January 1826]

18 January 1828

Dreadful Accident – On Friday the 18th curt., a dreadful accident occurred at Waterloo coal pit Hurlet. Three men, one of them an elderly person, the other two in the prime of life, were ascending the shaft in a bucket, when, in consequence of the rope giving way, they were precipitated to a depth of 20 fathoms, and killed on the spot. [Edinburgh Advertiser 29 January 1828]

17 August 1832

Explosion of Fire Damp and Loss of Lives – One of those appalling subterranean occurrences, which the invaluable invention of Sir Humphrey Davy has now happily rendered so rare among the coal-mines throughout the country, took place on Friday last at the little village of Nitshill, contiguous to Hurlet Works, near Glasgow, about 6 miles from town. The pit in which the circumstance happened is the property of Mr Dove and is known by the name of the Wellington Pit. The miners detected the indications of an accumulation of the vapour, and about 2 in the afternoon, they intimated the circumstance to the overseer, as a reason for not wishing to continue their labours any longer. The inhabitants of Barrhead and Neilston, both near, were resigning themselves to the mirth of their Reform Jubilee; and the overseer taxed the poor colliers with what would have amounted to nothing more than a desire to disinter themselves to seek an afternoon's refreshment in the light of day. He treated their fears with a bravado; and lighting a common lamp, ordered the miners to descend the shaft along with him, which they did, the number being five men and two boys. On reaching the vapour , it exploded with tremendous violence, shaking the earth for a great distance, and making the clusters of cottages tremble to the foundations. While many hurried to the scene of the accident, others, anticipating the worst, posted off on horseback for the assistance of medical men. The whole seven were soon raised to the mouth of the pit, all bearing dreadful marks of the shock. Medical practitioners were on the spot with all possible speed, and every exertion was made to alleviate the sufferers. Abraham Thomson, a young man, and John Watson, a boy, died that night, and little or no hope is entertained of the recovery of one or two others. The fate of Thomson was characterised by almost unparalleled horror. When extricated from the shaft insensible, his flesh was reduced to one unvaried pulpy mass, severing from the bones by its own weight. He was conveyed home to his disconsolate wife, to whom he had been united but six short months, when his body was wrapped in cotton, and otherwise treated. In the evening, while his wife was presenting him with a drink, in his frenzy he upset the candle, which in its fall ignited the cotton around his body, rendered doubly combustible by the presence of some medical emollient, and enveloped him in flames. The poor wretch's tortures were increased ten-fold. Stung to madness, he gathered his sinking energies into one fearful effort, sprung from his bed, darted to the door, and thence to the middle of the road, gave a convulsive leap from the ground, which prostrated him with violence, and in about three minutes – expired [Scottish Guardian – quoted in The Times 24 August 1832]

Explosion Of Fire Damp and Loss of Life - One of those occurrences took place at the little village of Nitshill, contiguous to Hurlet works, about six miles from Glasgow. The pit in which the circumstance happened is the property of Mr. Dove, and is known by the name of Wellington Pit. The experience of the miners detected the indications of an accumulation of the inflammable vapour, and about two o'clock in the afternoon, they intimated the circumstance to the overseer as a reason for not wishing to continue their labours any longer that day. He ordered the miners to descend the shaft along with him, which they did - the number of individuals being five men and two boys. On reaching the vapour with the lamp, it exploded with tremendous violence. Abraham Thomson, a young man, and John Watson, a boy, died that night, and several others are severely injured. [The Annual Register 1833]

12 August 1839

We regret to state that on Monday afternoon a dreadful accident occurred at Househillwood Colliery, near Barrhead, belonging to Mr Galloway, Paisley, by which nine person (seven men and two boys) lost their lives. The names of the sufferers are: John Hassan, Philip Hassan, John Gallacher, John Reilly, Robert Johnstone, Edward Doherty, James Leggatt, and two boys of the name of Campbell. A boy named Patrick O'Neill, has also received some very severe contusions on the head, but not such, we believe, as to endanger his life; and one John Smith, who, although buried for a short period below the rubbish, has suffered no material injury. The occurrence took place about by about a foot and a half of “till” falling from the roof of one of the rooms in the pit upon the above mentioned individuals, who were all sitting near each other, conversing, it is supposed, with two of their friends who had come to see them there, both of whom have unfortunately lost their lives. We understand that this room, where the “till” fell, has not been wrought in the last four or five months, and, of course, no danger was apprehended, especially since one of the men killed and another of the miners had inspected it only a few minutes before the fatal occurrence took place. This melancholy accident has shed a deep gloom over Nitshill; although a number of coal pits are situated in the neighbourhood, no accident anything like this has occurred to a great number of years [Scotsman 17 August 1839]

The following burials are listed under August 13 1839 in OPR Abbey Parish:
Robert Johnston, Miner, residence, Nitshill, born, Glasgow, Accident at Coal Pit, age 26
John Reily, Miner, residence Nitshill, born Ireland, Accident at Coal Pit, age 20
John Hasson, Miner, residence Nitshill, born Abbey, Accident at Coal Pit, age 28
Philip Hasson, Miner, residence Nitshill, born Abbey, Accident at Coal Pit, age 27

Fatal Accident - Nine Lives Lost - On Monday, at one o'clock, while eleven men, employed in a coal pit belonging to the Househill Company, neat Hurlet, were seated in a part of the pit enjoying a few minutes cessation from labour, the roof over their head, composed of hard till, from 18 to 22 inches, fell upon them. One of them, by a sudden spring aside, was wholly uninjured - one had a piece of his scalp torn off, and the other nine were crushed to death. The excitement and sensation created among the parents, widows, and children of the deceased, may be more easily conceived than described. [Aberdeen Journal 21 August 1839]

Nine persons killed Monday last at Househillwood coal-pit, Paisley, by the falling of a foot and a half of "till" from roof of the room in which they were sitting - the room not wrought in for five months, and no danger apprehended, particularly as two miners had examined it only a few minutes before catastrophe occurred - funeral took place Tuesday, attended by Mr. Galloway (proprietor) and a number of respectable inhabitants of Paisley, besides a great portion of their fellow-workmen - indeed so great was the interest excited that the Abbey Church gates were beset by crowds of persons, besides throngs of individuals in Abbey-street, and small knots extending a mile and a half from Hurlet, whence the mournful procession passed - this melancholy event shed a deep gloom over Nitshill, and although number of coal-pits are situated in neighbourhood, no accident anything like this has occurred for many years - verily "in the midst of life we are in death. [Oxford Journal - Saturday 24 August 1839]

1 December 1840

A fatal accident occurred on Tuesday week, in one of the coal pits on the Caldwell estate, situated between Beith and Neilston, by which a young man aimed John Fulton, belonging to Eaglesham, met his death. The deceased acted as night watchman, and upon the earliest workmen coming to the pit, he was surprised to find him absent. Alarm having been excited, a party descended the pit, and found the deceased at the bottom of it severely mangled, and holding a shovel in his grasp. He was alive, and so sensible that he shook hands with those around him, but expired within a few minutes, and without being able to utter a syllable. The pit is 72 feet in depth. The deceased had been boiling a meal of potatoes, and from their appearance and position on the fire, he could not have been down more than an hour. [Caledonian Mercury 10 December 1840]

12 March 1844

Accident.—Man Killed.—Tuesday last, while a collier, named James Gatherim, was working in the High Craig coal pit, Quarrelton, a part of the roof fell, and so severely hurt him that he died within ten minutes afterwards. His fellow-workmen, although quite near, and, we believe, speaking at the time to him, luckily escaped. The deceased, who was much respected by all who knew him as a sober and intelligent man, has left a wife and family to lament his loss.—Paisley Advertiser. [Glasgow Herald 18 March 1844]

9 July 1844

Fatal Accident. - Tuesday afternoon, Mr. Alexander Foulds, one of the managers of the coal pit of Messrs. Barclay, north of Clyde near Renfrew, descended the pit, in company with another man, to make some inspection. He requested his companion to remain at a given point, and he would move forward alone to make the inspection. He had not gone far, however, when he got among foul air, and to the calls of his companion no answer was returned. Means were immediately adopted to force a supply of fresh air into the place, but it was not till next morning that the spot to which Mr. Foulds had gone was reached, when, as might have been supposed, life was found extinct.-Paisley Advertiser. [Glasgow Herald 15 July 1844]

17 November 1845

Explosion at the Victoria Pit. - In the early part of this week, one of the colliers at the Victoria Pit, at Househill, having, contrary to express orders, entered into a forbidden portion of this pit, an explosion of fire-damp ensued, occasioning the death of the unfortunate man, and of so serious a character, that the very stoops of the pit ignited, and the interior has continued to burn throughout the week. The unfortunate man was extricated with difficulty ; but he was one mass of charred flesh. The pit was then closed, and in all likelihood must for some time remain so, for the purpose of aiding the extinction of the fire.- Renfrewshire Advertiser. [Glasgow Herald 17 November 1845]

23 July 1846

Fatal Coal Pit Accident At Barrhead – Two Men Killed -On Thursday morning last, a fatal accident took place at the Townhead coal pit, whereby a father and son lost their lives. They were both working together when about eight o'clock a part of the coal above fell upon them. The bodies were got out without delay. The father was alive when brought to the top of the pit, but expired almost immediately afterwards. The son was killed on the spot. Caledonian Mercury - Monday 27 July 1846]

2 April 1848

Melancholy and Fatal Accident - On Sunday last, two brothers, of the name of Hammond, residing at Old Nitshill, amused themselves by balancing on a large iron weighing beam at the Ayrshire Lass coal pit, near Nitshill, each being suspended from an end of the beam ; and while so engaged, the youngest brother, observing the watchman coming, gave a cry and let go his hold, and the other end of the beam coming quickly down, struck his brother on the head, and killed him on the spot. The deceased was only fifteen, and the younger brother nine years of age. Dr. Robert Corbett of Nitshill was immediately called, but could render no aid, death having been instantaneously caused by the stroke on the boy's forehead. [Glasgow Herald 7 April 1848]

27 March 1850

Coal Pit Accident. - On Wednesday, a young man employed in one of the coal pits of Messrs. Wilson, Hurlet, was accidentally killed by the falling of a quantity of coal from the roof. As the unfortunate youth who resided with his father at some distance from the pit, did not come home on Wednesday night at his usual hour, his father, anxious for his safety, proceeded to the pit to search for him, and on going down the shaft, found him lying under a quantity of coal and rubbish which had covered him. The poor fellow was conveyed home, but died thro ugh the course of the night. By deceased’s own statement, the rubbish had fallen about two o’clock in the day, and he had lain under it in a most painful condition for no less than eight or ten hours. [Glasgow Herald 1 April 1850]

9 March 1852

Coal Pit Explosion At Pollockshaws – We learn that a very alarming explosion took place on Tuesday morning in a coal-pit at Shaw Moss, Pollockshaws [sic], by which three men have been very seriously hurt, and one of them so severely that he has since died in consequence. The explosion was occasioned by the recklessness of one of the miners – the one who has since died, - in entering with a lighted candle to a part of the it where foul air was known to be collected. [Dundee Courier 10 March 1852]

7 July 1852

Fatal Coal-Pit Accident at Nitshill.- The Victoria Pit here has just been the scene of another sad catastrophe, involving the loss of a very valuable life. The fatality resulted under the following circumstances :- In consequence of the late and former dreadful explosions in the under-ground spaces - making altogether, it is said, an area of about a hundred acres - the shaft of this pit, which, like a tremendous piece of ordnance, served as the tube for the fierce emission of the exploded elements, the wooden frame-work forming the sides of the shaft came of necessity to be in a very shattered condition. The raising of coal, therefore became suspended, and the damage done in the shaft was undergoing repair. For this purpose a scaffolding, with two or three men provided with tools suited to the work, was lowered down to the depth of the injured part. Mr. Tin, the underground manager was meanwhile pursuing his all-important duties below in regard to ventilation, &c., which he thoroughly understood, scientifically, as well as by long practical experience. About one o'clock p.m., on Wednesday, the manager signalled that he wished to ascend, when a cage was lowered for that purpose. Along with two men and a boy, he got on the cage, which was scarcely moved from the bottom, and yet sixty fathoms below the men at work upon the scaffold, in the other side of the shaft, when the sound as of something falling from above was heard by the parties. Mr Tin called out, "mind yourselves, lads, for I hear something falling," The men, more favoured by the circumstances of their position, did mind themselves but their kind monitor could not, and was the moment thereafter struck to death. The cages contain three hutches in the depth, the men being in one of the lower, and Mr. Tin on the top one. An iron instrument, used as a sort of gauge, had fallen from the scaffold above, through an opening in the mid-walling and, in a descent of sixty fathoms, had attained a momentum which destroyed at once the life of a highly valuable and excellent man. Mr. Tin has left a widow and family to mourn an irreparable loss. [Glasgow Herald 12 July 1852]
NB Mine Inspector's report gives this man's name as Joseph Finn

15 May 1858

Fatal Accident at Inkerman, Renfrewshire – On Saturday a fatal accident occurred at one of Messrs Merry & Cunninghames iron pits situated near Inkerman. It would appear that while a miner, named M'Murray, was engaged at his work, a large quantity of ironstone fell from the roof upon him. Several hours elapsed before the poor fellow was extricated, when it was found that he was crushed almost to a jelly. The body was removed to Millarston near Paisley, where the deceased resided. Several miners who were in the pit had a narrow escape when the ironstone fell [ Herald May 17 1858]

17 May 1858

Another Miner Killed - On Monday another fatal accident occurred to a miner in this district. The unfortunate man in this case was named Matthew Boyle. He was employed in an iron pit between Linwood and Johnstone, the property of Messrs Dixon & Co. , and was crushed to death by the falling of a portion of ironstone upon him. Deceased left a widow and one child. [Hamilton Advertiser May 22 1858]

NB No death certificate for this name has been located

23 December 1859

Serious Accident - Yesterday a serious accident occurred in a coal pit at Quarrelton, the property of Ludovic Houston, Esq. of Johnstone Castle. While a miner, named George Higgins, was engaged at his work, he incautiously approached a mine that he had fired, under the impression that it had previously exploded, and the result was that he was most seriously burned, about the head and face particularly. His right eye appeared to be fairly destroyed, and one of his hands was almost entirely blown off. The poor fellow was conveyed to the Infirmary at Paisley, but it is questionable if he will survive. [Glasgow Herald 24 December 1859]

14 June 1860

Serous Accident At Inkermann - Yesterday, a serious accident occurred at the Candren ironstone pit, near Inkermann, belonging to Messrs. Merry & Cunningham, from the bursting of a steam pipe. It would appear that about seven o'clock in the morning Mr. Davidson, the manager of the works at Inkermann, along with several other men was engaged making some alteration upon the steam pipe leading from the boilers to the engine at the pit-head, and while so engaged the pipe suddenly gave way; scalding Mr Davidson and three other men more or less severely. The man most seriously hurt is a miner, named Thomas Sommerville, residing at Millerston, who is scalded very extensively about the face, breast, abdomen, and thighs. The names of the other parties hurt are George Mitchell, miner, Broomlands, Paisley; Thomas Muncey, Inkermann; and Mr. Davidson. Mitchell and Muncey are somewhat severely burned, while Mr. Davidson's injuries are chiefly confined to his hands, arms, and face. Dr. Taylor, the medical officer, of the works, was early in attendance, and, assisted by Dr. M'Hutcheon, of the Infirmary here, dressed the wounds of the sufferers. [Glasgow Herald 14 June 1860]

The Recent Accident At Inkermann - We regret to learn that two of the men injured by the bursting of the steam pipe at the Candren ironstone pit, near Inkermann, on Wednesday, as reported in our impression of yesterday, have died from the effects of the severe scalding to which they had been subjected. The names of the deceased are George Mitchell, residing in Broomlands Street, Paisley, and Thomas Sommerville, Millarston, Paisley. Thomas Mouncey, residing at Inkermann, remains in a dangerous state. [Glasgow Herald 15 June 1860]

Paisley – The Recent Accident At Inkermann - We regret to hear that another of the parties injured last week by the bursting of the steampipe at the Candren ironstone pit, died on Monday, at Inkermann, where he resided. Deceased was a miner, named Thomas Mouncey, and his is the third death resulting from this accident. The manager, Mr. Davidson, who was also injured, is recovering. [Glasgow Herald 21 June 1860]

25 July 1860

Serious Coal Pit Explosion near Johnstone – Yesterday morning, shortly after six o'clock a serious explosion took place in the Benstone coal Pit, situated near Johnstone, the property of Ludovic Houston Esq of Johnstone Castle. It would appear that shortly after six o'clock, Henry Alexander, a miner, accompanied by three boys named respectively George Hodgart, Johnstone Barr, and James Killin, was proceeding to his working in the pit. In passing a unused working, one of the lights of the party ignited the fire-damp, and the consequence was an immediate explosion. The whole party were severely burned, and the lad Hodgart was, in addition, so seriously injured, that he was removed to the Infirmary here. He had sustained, in addition to serious burns on the face and upper extremities, a dislocation of the left hip joint, a fracture of the left foreleg, and a severe compound fracture of the right foreleg. He remains at present in a very dangerous state. [Glasgow Herald 26 July 1860]

The Recent Coal Pit Explosion At Johnstone - On Wednesday, one of the boys, named James Cullion, injured by the recent explosion in the Benson coal-pit, near Johnstone, died from the effects of the burning; and on Friday another boy, named Hodgart, expired at noon in the Infirmary, Paisley. A third, named Johnstone Barr, now at Quarrelton, is not expected to survive; but the miner, Alexander, who was also burned, is recovering. [Glasgow Herald 30 July 1860]

2 August 1861

Accident - Yesterday, a miner, named James M'Ghee, a native of Ayr, while employed at his work sinking a pit at Inkermann, sustained serious injuries under the following circumstances:- He had prepared a shot, and, having lighted the fuse, he was being drawn up in the kettle to the mouth of the shaft. Before reaching the top the kettle, by accident, capsized, and M'Ghee was thrown to the bottom, and while lying there the shot went off. The exact extent of the injuries he has sustained is not yet ascertained. [Glasgow Herald 3 August 1861]

15 October 1863

Paisley - Fatal Accident In An Ironstone Pit - On Thursday, William Anderson, miner, residing at Linwood, met with an accident which occasioned his death, in the No. 2 Linwood Pit, which pit is situated on the farm of Green, parish of Kilbarchan. Anderson, it appears, was employed along with two others in sinking the pit, and was being drawn up along with one of his companions, when his shoulder came in contact with a mid partition, whereby he was jerked out of the machine, and fell to the bottom from a height of about eight fathoms. His collar-bone was broken, and he was so much injured internally that he died in the course of two hours afterwards. The unfortunate man was about 31 years of age. [Glasgow Herald 17 October 1863]

24 July 1866

Serious Pit Accident - A serious accident occurred on Tuesday morning in a pit near Inchinnan. It appears that the miners had reached the working to begin their labour, and that the oversman was engaged examining the place with a safety lamp in case of the existence of fire-damp. He had reached a part of the working, accompanied by other three miners, and was in the act of waving his coat, the usual mode of dispersing any fire-damp which may have collected, when a sudden explosion took place. Two of the men who were beside him were fearfully burned namely, John Easton, who has suffered most, and Andrew Downie, both young unmarried men, residing in Renfrew. Another named Patrick Hannigan, a married man, and Kenney, the oversman, were also slightly injured. The two first named were taken home, where they lie in a precarious condition. – Mail [The Dundee Courier & Argus 26 July 1866]

29 December 1866

Fatal Pit Accident - About one o'clock on Saturday morning, Andrew Stewart, labourer, residing at Hurlet, was killed by falling down the shank of the coal, lime, and alum ore pit at Hurlet, occupied by Messrs John Wilson & Sons. The deceased was running an empty truck on to the cage, when he in some way or other ran it into the shank when the cage was at the bottom, and went headlong down with it. His skull was fractured and death was almost instantaneous. The deceased was 32 years of age, and a married man. [Glasgow Herald 31 December 1866]

17 November 1869

Paisley - Accident At Inkerman - A miner named James Gilmour, about 18 years of age, residing at Inkerman, met with an accident while working in a pit there yesterday morning. It appears that Gilmour had forgotten to place the "snibble" between the wheels of a hutch, which ran down an incline and threw him a considerable distance, breaking his thigh bone and fracturing one of his ribs. He was sent to the Paisley Infirmary. [Glasgow Herald 18 November 1869]

18 April 1872

Shocking Pit Accident at Kilmarnock - On Friday afternoon, David Brown, a lad between 14 and 10 years of age, residing in High Street, Kilmarnock, was accidentally killed while at work in No. 6 Pit of Boinneton Colliery. He was in the act of placing a hutch upon the cage at the pit bottom, when, through some unexplained cause, the cage was put in motion before he had finished. The result was that his head was caught between the cage and the lining of the shaft, and nearly severed from his body, which was dragged for about two fathoms before the engine could be stopped. The cause of the accident will form a subject of inquiry. [Fife Herald 25 April 1872]

21 August 1880

Paisley - Miner Killed - John Beveridge, miner, 30 years of age, residing at Inkerman, was killed by a heavy fall of metal from the roof while working in the Blackstone Mineral Company's pit on Saturday morning. The deceased leaves a wife and two children, one of whom was born on Friday. [Glasgow Herald 23 August 1880]

29 August 1883

Paisley – Fatal Accident - William Stevenson, a miner, was killed yesterday afternoon by a large stone, weighing about three tons, falling upon him while he was engaged in blasting operations in the pit at Messrs Robert Brown & Son's fireclay works, Millarston. [Scotsman 30 August 1883]

29 April 1885

Paisley - Accident At The Blackstone Pit - A miner named James Goodwin was seriously hurt yesterday by the fall of a heavy block of stone in the Blackstone Pit, belonging to the Stanrigg Oil Company. He was removed to his house at Inkerman where it was found that, in addition to being badly bruised about the head, he had sustained serious internal injury. [Glasgow Herald 30 April 1885]

11 May 1885

Fatal Accident At Nitshill - A miner named William Bickerstaff, while engaged at work on Monday at the bottom of a new shaft which is being sunk by the Eglinton Ironstone Company, a large plank of wood fell down the shaft, striking him on the head, causing instant death. [Scotsman 13 May 1885]

3 September 1888

Accident in A Coal Pit – A miner named Walter Chalmers residing at Bishopton, Renfrewshire, was admitted to Paisley Infirmary on Monday suffering from severe injuries to the body and legs sustained through a stone weighing 2 cwt falling on him while taking out coal in Blackstoun Colliery. [Scotsman 5 September 1888]

21 March 1913

Fatal Mining Accident at Pollokshaws - A Pole named Peter Youfkufkif, twenty-nine years of age, residing at 92 Govan Street, Glasgow, was killed at Giffnock colliery, near Pollokshaws, last night. He was working in the mine, when a portion of the roof fell in, and he was suffocated. [Scotsman 22 March 1913]

7 August 1913

Fatal Accident at Giffnock Colliery - A fatal accident occurred yesterday afternoon at Giffnock colliery, near Pollokshaws. A young miner named Alexander Smith, who lived at 51 John Street, Glasgow, was working at the coal cutting machine when he was caught in the wheels and terribly mutilated, both legs being torn off. He was conveyed to the Victoria Infirmary, where he died shortly after admission. [Scotsman 8 August 1913]

11 September 1913

Three Men Injured By an Explosion.—Three men were injured by an explosion in Giffnock colliery, near Pollokshaws, last night. Two of them - George White a brusher, Pollokshaws, and William Marshall, coal cutting attendant, Surrey Street, Glasgow - were badly scorched on the hands and face, and had to be removed to the Victoria Infirmary. The third man - James M'Lachlan, Pollokshaws - who was burned about the arms, was able to proceed home. [Scotsman 12 September 1913]

16 November 1921

Fatal Scalding Accident at Giffnock colliery - At Giffnock colliery, in the eastern district of Renfrewshire , yesterday morning, a lad named William Cairns, employed as an ash wheeler, lost his life. While he was engaged at his work a plate of one of the. boilers burst, and the escaping steam scalded him to death. The lad was the son of Thomas Cairns, Coustonholm Road, Pollokshaws, the checkweighman at the colliery.[Scotsman 17 November 1921]

6 October 1922

Man Killed at Giffnock Colliery - A fatal accident occurred in Giffnock colliery yesterday afternoon, to a miner named Duncan M'Ewan, who resided at 28 Rosendale Road, Pollokshaws. He was engaged at his work when a stone weighing about half a ton fell upon him. [Scotsman 7 October 1922]