Accidents 1870-1899

This section contains newspaper reports on selected accidents. Please check the indexes in the Accidents Section for details of Inspector of Mines reports and other accidents covered on the site.

14 March 1870

Pit accidents have been exceedingly numerous in this quarter during the last few days. Robert Maxwell, while working in No. 3 coal pit, Hattonrigg Colliery, Bellshill, was severely injured by a fall from the roof. Both of his arms were severely bruised and he sustained serious injury on the body. [Scotsman 14 March 1870]

21 November 1870

Serious and Fatal Explosion of Fire Damp -An accident by firedamp which has resulted in the death of one man and the serious injury of another, occurred on Monday in No 4 coal pit, Hattonrigg. Two men, named Robert M'Culloch and James Ladden, who were employed in that pit as firemen, were in the prosecution of their duties examining the workings, when, by some carelessness, a naked light came in contact with the inflammatory gas, and the result was a fearful explosion, which severely burned the men on various parts of the body. They were at once removed and medical assistance procured; but the injuries M'Culloch received were so severe that he died from them on Tuesday. [Hamilton Advertiser November 26 1870]

20 February 1871

Fire Damp Explosion - A somewhat serious explosion of fire-damp took place on Monday in No. 4 Coal-pit , Hattonrigg , near Mossend, Airdrie . Two colliers employed there incautiously went into a part of the workings long unoccupied bearing naked lamps, and the result was a fearful explosion. One of the men escaped almost uninjured ; but the other, named Patrick M'Pike , was severely burned on various parts of the body. [Scotsman 22 February 1871]

22 February 1873

Bellshill - Colliery Explosion - A colliery explosion occurred on Saturday at No 1 Pit, Orbiston Colliery, of the Mossend Iron Company, whereby six persons were seriously burned about the head and body and otherwise injured. The names of the persons injured are Robert Crichton, under manager; James Bisset, fireman; Walter Muir, Andrew Muir, David Muir, miners; and Thomas Miller, drawer. The explosion was owing partly to a feeder of fire damp having been ignited, and some time after the fire was extinguished, the six injured persons went into the workings to ascertain if the place was clear, when another explosion of a serious nature followed, causing the injury to the six workmen. The unfortunate workmen were at once attended to by Dr Sloan of Mossend, who was visiting in the neighbourhood of the colliery. [Hamilton Advertiser 1 March 1873]

30 July 1873

Fatal Pit Accident- A collier, named John Boyd, 41 years of age, and married, residing at Orbiston Row, Bothwell, was killed the other day in No. 2 Pit at Orbiston Colliery, by a large quantity of coal, weighing between one and two tons, falling upon him from the face of the working. Death is said to have been instantaneous. [Falkirk Herald 7 August 1873]

12 March 1874

Uddingston – Fatal Accident – About 7 o'clock on Thursday night, while a miner named Mark M'Gough, was engaged shovelling coal in his working place, in the soft coal seam in the new pit at the railway station here, he was killed by a large stone falling upon him from the roof. Deceased was 18 years of age and resided in Uddingston. [Hamilton Advertiser 14 March 1874]

April 1874

Carfin – Pit Accident – A miner named John Murphy, residing in Double Row, fell down the shaft in No 1 Pit (Dixon's) from the splint coal to the lodgement, a depth of 40 feet. His thigh bone was broken and he also sustained severe internal injuries. He was conveyed to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. [Hamilton Advertiser 18 April 1874]

11 April 1874

Bothwell – Melancholy Pit Accident – Between 6 and 7 o'clock on Saturday night, James Flin, sinker, residing at Ashley Grange, near Bellshill, was killed in No 1 Pit, Bothwell Park. Along with two other sinkers named Andrew Doyle and David Sloan, he had gone down the pit for the purpose of bringing up an old landing box,used in connection with the pumping operations, and taking down a new one. The party succeeded in getting the new box about half way down, and placed on a temporary scaffold erected for the purpose, and the men were being drawn up in the “kettle” with the old landing box – Flin standing on the edge, holding on by the chain, and the two others having one foot in the kettle and the other hanging outside, when the chain caught on the scaffolding and carried it away, striking Sloan and Doyle. The heavy hats which they wore acted as protection to their heads, and except that Doyle got his tongue cut between his clenched teeth, both escaped without injury. Flin, however, was thrown down the shank, a distance of 27 fathoms, and in about 10 minutes afterwards his remains were found at the bottom in an accumulation of eight feet of water. No marks of external injury were observed on the body. He was 35 years of age and unmarried. [Hamilton Advertiser 18 April 1874]

Fearful Coal Pit Accident Near Bothwell - A telegram from Hamilton says:- A melancholy accident occurred on Saturday night to James Flin, sinker, residing at Ashley Grange, near Bellshill. Along with two other men, Flin had been at work at No. 1 Pit, Bothwell Park, and the three had gone down the pit for the purpose of bringing up a landing-box. They had left a new one on the scaffolding and was on the way up with the other, when it is believed the chain of the kettle had caught the scaffolding, bringing it down, and coming in contact with Flin’s two companions in its fall. The landing-box struck Flin himself, and threw him with great violence to the bottom of the shaft, a distance of 27 fathoms. The shaft contained eight feet of water. Fully 10 minutes elapsed before any assistance could be got. When Flin was found in the water life was quite extinct. The deceased was 35 years of age and unmarried. [The Dundee Courier & Argus 14 April 1874]

18 March 1875

Fatal Accident - Yesterday, while a man named Wm. M'Gowan, about 30 years of age, was engaged shunting some waggons at Thankerton Colliery, his foot slipped from the buffer, and he fell. The waggons passed over him, and caused instantaneous death. M'Gowan has left a widow and three children. [Glasgow Herald 19 March 1875]

1 April 1875

Bellshill - Pit Accident - On Thursday, a collier named Thomas M'Luckie, residing at Old Carnbroe, was injured in a serious manner while at work in No. 4 Coal-pit, Hattonrigg, by a fall from the roof. He was attended by Dr Sloan, Mossend, who found that the unfortunate man's right collar-bone was broken. [Glasgow Herald 3 April 1875]

19 September 1876

Fire Damp Explosion At Uddingston – Two Men Killed - A terrible explosion of fire-damp, by which two men were killed and four injured, took place yesterday at the Maryville colliery, Uddingston. The miners employed in the pit descended to their work as usual between 6 and 7 am. At 11, the underground manager made his inspection of the mine, but no source of danger seems to have been detected. Shortly afterwards, however, while a man named William Muirhead was engaged in propping up a portion of the workings, an explosion of fire-damp took place, killing the unfortunate man on the spot. Another pitman named Robert Wyper, who rushed towards the place on hearing the noise, was overpowered by the vapour and expired before he could be removed to a place of safety. Other four men, whose names are Paterson, Torrance, Gibson, and Abernethy were rescued, and brought to the surface in an insensible state. [Scotsman 20 September 1876]

6 December 1876

Hamilton - Serious Coal Mine Accidents - A melancholy accident has happened at No. 2 pit, Bothwell Castle Colliery, Bothwell, belonging to William Baird & Co. William M'Luney, fireman, residing at the Colliery Rows, and Dugald M'Donald, sinker, Stonefield, were engaged removing some superfluous piping from the pit shank (the pit, it may be explained, being in course of being sunk). To save themselves labour, they attached a hand-line to the piping, and connected it to the pumping shaft, coiling the end once round the same. The pumping shaft was in motion, and while they guided the rope it was intended that the pumping shaft should be utilised in taking out the piping. Unfortunately the rope got entangled on the shaft, and M'Luney was dragged into it. He was killed instantaneously, his head being crushed between the shaft and the rope, and almost severed from his body. His arms and body were also fearfully mangled. It is supposed that M'Donald, while endeavouring to rescue his companion, got caught by the rope. He was driven several times round the pumping shaft until his cries attracted the enginekeeper , who immediately stopped the engine and he was rescued. It was found that he had sustained a severe scalp wound, his left arm was fractured in several places, and one of the fingers of his right hand was torn off. The sufferer was removed to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. The fireman who has been deprived of life was only twenty years of age. [Scotsman 8 December 1876]

15 January 1877

Yesterday morning Patrick Donnochie, brusher, 23, residing in Uddingston, was in the act of conveying a hutch of rails down an incline in No. 1 pit, Maryvale colliery, when he fell, and was dragged nearly eight yards, the hutch then capsizing above him. The unfortunate man died in a few minutes from the injuries he sustained. [Scotsman 16 January 1877]

24 March 1877

Fatal Fall Down a Pit – On Saturday, about 2 o'clock, a sad accident occurred at a coal pit in the neighbourhood of Baillieston, whereby a man named William Glen was instantaneously killed. Glen, along with some others, had been engaged in making some repairs to the shank of the pit, and while doing so his lamp was blown out. On turning round to relight it, he lost his balance and fell to the bottom, a distance of 60 fathoms. His body was dreadfully mangled. [Hamilton Advertiser March 31 1877]

1 August 1877

A man named William Brown, 25 years of age, residing at Smellie's Land, Muirmadkin near Bothwell, was killed on Wednesday at No 4 Coal Pit, Hattonrigg, Bellshill by a large number of stone, weighing 5 or 6 tons, falling on him. It appears that Brown, along with another man named James Welsh, had been building a wall at the roadside. Welsh was on the side of the wall next to the road and Brown was on the opposite side, when a large quantity of stones fell upon Brown from the roof completely covering him. [Herald 3 August 1877]

18 December 1878

Shocking Accident – On Wednesday last, a distressing accident happened to John Boyle, railway surfaceman, residing at Carfin. Along with another labourer he had been engaged in filling and removing loaded hutches of dross from the waggons near No 3 Pit, Cleland, Carfin Colliery (Dixon's). Boyle was in the act of running the hutch to the pit cage, but the cage being at the time at the pit-head, when he opened the gate and pushed the hutch into the pit mouth, he was dragged after it to the bottom of the shaft – a distance of 100 fathoms – and killed on the spot. The pit overseer, Mr Wm. Robertson, Cleland House, who was at hand, on hearing of the accident, made arrangements for the recovery of the body, which was got out dreadfully mutilated. Deceased was 52 years of age. [Wishaw Press, December 21 1878. Many thanks to Genevieve for supplying this article]

11 January 1879

Alarming Colliery Accident – On Saturday an accident of an alarming nature took place in No 1 Pit, Orbiston Colliery, belonging to Messrs Neilson & Co, Mossend. It appears that a number of men had been for some time engaged in making excavations on the ell seam for the reception of an engine. For the protection of the engine and gearing, an arch of bricks, some 16 feet high by 12 feet wide, had to be erected round the seat. On Saturday, the arch being completed, a number of men gathered in the place to take away the centre, which was no sooner removed than the erection came away with great force, burying a number of men in the debris. When assistance was obtained, one of the men, named John Gillies, residing in Muirmadkin, was found quite dead, his skull having been fractured. Dr Sloan was immediately sent for, and attended to the others injured. Amongst these are Wm Muir, miner, Orbiston, thigh bone broken and otherwise seriously injured internally; Robert Craig, residing in Mossend, seriously injured; David Brown, bricklayers labourer, residing in Motherwell, arm fractured. Two or three others, named Madden, Grant and Jones are slightly injured. [Hamilton Advertiser January 18 1879]

8 February 1879

Fatal Firedamp Explosion – On Saturday a fatal explosion of firedamp occurred at No 1 Pit, Maryville Colliery, near Uddingston, resulting in the death of a pony driver, aged 16, named John M'Farlane jun, residing with his father at 18 Thorniewood Rows. The fireman, Alex Campbell, in making his rounds in the morning, found a small quantity of gas in the splint coal seam at the face. M'Farlane was engaged “chesting” water at a hole between 50 and 60 yards from the face, and about 200 yards from the bottom of the shaft. The fireman warned him of the presence of gas, took from him his naked lamp, and gave him a gauze lamp, which he locked in the presence of the three men. The explosion occurred several hours afterwards. It was felt by the pit bottomer and the roadsman, who hastened to where Macfarlane was, and found him lying face downwards quite dead. The top of his lamp was knocked off by the force of the explosion. The pony that he was driving was standing by uninjured. No one else was working in the neighbourhood at the time. [Hamilton Advertiser 15 February 1879]

11 June 1879

Pit Accident – On Wednesday Wm Irving, 40, brusher, Eadies Square, Bothwell, had his left leg broken below the knee, and was severely bruised about the head, while firing a shot in the splint coal seam, No 2 Pit, Bothwell Park Colliery. [Hamilton Advertiser June 14 1879]

31 January 1882

Explosion of Firedamp - On Tuesday morning an explosion of fire-damp occurred in the splint coal seam of No. 3 Pit. Bothwell Castle Colliery; belonging to Messrs William Baird & Co. At a point about 200 yards from the pit bottom the brattice cloth was accidentally knocked down by a miner named Thomas M’Gough, as he was passing with a hutch, and was allowed to remain in this state for a couple of hours. The interruption of the ventilation during this interval led to a considerable accumulation of fire-damp, which was ignited as M'Gough and a fireman named James Docherty or Devlin were engaged putting the brattice to right. Both men were so severely burned about the arms, hands, legs, and face, that by Dr. Milroy's instructions they were removed to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Only safety lamps are allowed at the spot, and it is supposed the poor men had incautiously lighted a match, or brought a naked light to the scene, and thus set fire to the gas. [Scotsman 2 February 1882]

1 March 1884

On Saturday an explosion of fire-damp took place in the splint coal seam of No. 2 pit, Douglas Park Colliery, Bothwell, belonging to Mr John Wilson. Two miners named John Liddell, residing in Main Street, Bothwell, and William Stewart, M'Millan's Land, Bellshill, had prepared a shot, and Liddell applied a piece of lighted match-paper to the end of the strum, when the explosion occurred, caused by the ignition of a feeder of gas. Both men were burned about the arms and face. The pit is worked with safety lamps. [Scotsman 4 March 1884]

5 May 1884

Bellshill Fatal Accident - Yesterday morning, Patrick Duffy, an old man, a labourer, employed at No. 5 Milnwood Colliery, met with a violent death, He was employed at the pit-bead, and at the time was pushing away a loaded waggon of coal from the bottom of the screen, when a number of waggons came upon him from the other end of the lye, and crushed him between the buffers. Death was almost instantaneous. [Scotsman 6 May 1884]

4 June 1884

Holytown Pit Accident - On Wednesday a miner named John Scott, 27 years of age, residing at Holytown, met with a serious accident in No. 7 Pit, Thankerton Colliery, the property of the Monkland Iron Company. Scott was. working at the coal face when a large stone, weighing nearly 10cwt., fell from the roof and struck him on the shoulders. Scott is seriously injured. [Scotsman 6 June 1884]

5 October 1884

Fatal Result of an Accident - The man, Andrew McGeoch, 52, residing at Tannochside, who was severely cut on the forehead by a piece of coal in No 2 pit, Tannochside Colliery, on Sunday night, died yesterday. [Scotsman 9 October 1884]

12 December 1885

Fatal Colliery Accident At Cleland - On Saturday afternoon, about four o'clock, a miner named Owen Quin, residing in Foundry Row, Cleland, was working in Virtuewell seam, Biggarsford Colliery, belonging to Mr Matthew Dick, when a piece of coal weighing half a cwt. fell from the face, striking him on the knee. He afterwards filled a hutch of coals, but feeling weak, left to go home. He got worse, and had at first to be assisted, and latterly to be wheeled, to his house. They got him to his home, when he immediately afterwards expired. He was in every way in good health previous to the accident. [Glasgow Herald 14 December 1885]

1 February 1886

Lad Killed at Newlands Colliery – A lad named Robert Baillie (18), a stoker, residing at Nackerty, parish of Bothwell, was killed on Monday afternoon at No 1 Pit, Newlands Colliery. He had been shifting the points for an engine on a line of rails at the pit,and as he made to jump upon the engine, which was running down the incline, he came in violent contact with one of the pithead standards, fell forward, and was crushed between the engine and the standard, death being almost instantaneous. [Hamilton Advertiser February 6 1886]

7 August 1886

Serious Pit Accident – A miner named Peter McGeechan, 23, residing at Chapelhall, got himself very seriously injured on Saturday while at work in the Drumgray seam of No 2 Pit, belonging to the Legbrannock Coal Co. He was busy at the face, when a large number of stones and rubbish fell from the roof and buried him under it. He was extricated and conveyed home, and on being carefully examined by Drs Duncan, Cleland, and Harvie, Newarthill, he was found to have a severe fracture of the spinal column, both his legs being paralysed. He was sent on to Glasgow Royal Infirmary. [Hamilton Advertiser August 14 1886]

25 August 1886

Man Seriously Injured – A pit bottomer named William Muir, residing at Newlands, was seriously injured while at work in Newlands Colliery on Wednesday. He had been waiting at the bottom of the shank for the cage when he was struck by it, receiving a fracture of his left left, severe bruises on the left side, part of his foot being also torn off. He had to be removed to the Royal Infirmary in the ambulance waggon. [Hamilton Advertiser August 28 1886]

6 August 1887

Fatal Pit Accident – On Saturday, Cornick Passmore, aged 18, was killed in No 1 Pit, Douglas Park Colliery, belonging to Mr John Wilson, coalmaster. He was filling coals at a stoop in the Pyotshaw seam, when a stone weighing seven tons unexpectedly came away, crushing him to the pavement. A miner named Peter Boyle, who was beside him, escaped. Before Passmore could be extricated, and hour elapsed and life was extinct. [Hamilton Advertiser August 13 1887]

4 October 1887

Holytown – Serious Accident to a Miner – On Wednesday, Edward M'Nulla, 30, miner, residing in Baird Square, Holytown, was seriously injured while hewing coal at the face in No 4 Thankerton coal pit, worked by the Monkland Iron and Steel Company. M'Nulla had been in the low Drumgray seam when a large stone of over 2 cwt fell upon him from the roof and crushed him to the ground, fracturing his spine. He was removed to the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. [Hamilton Advertiser October 8 1887]

24 January 1888

Bellshill Miner Killed - On Tuesday a pit accident occurred in No. 7 Rosehall colliery, near Coatbridge whereby William M'Meechan, a miner residing at Wilson's Land, Bellshill, received serious injuries. He had been holing at the face in the splint seam, at a part. which does not seem to have been sufficiently propped, when a heavy fall took place from the roof. M'Meechan was partially buried beneath it. He died yesterday forenoon. [Scotsman 26 January 1888]

NB This may be the accident listed in the inspectors report as William Maughan, 27 January 1888. The spelling on the death certificate is McMachon

March 1888

A Terrible Death - At the bottom of No. 1 Pit, Bothwell Castle colliery, the body of a man was found by Henry Phee, night oversman as he was making his usual examination of the pit on Sunday. The body was dreadfully mutilated by tho fall down the shaft, which is 160 fathoms deep. It was removed to the police mortuary at Uddingston. He appeared to be a miner, but has not been identified. [Scotsman 27 March 1888]

8 December 1888

Shocking Death of a Boy - On Sunday, a number of boys were playing themselves by swinging and jumping by means of the haulage rope at No. 1 Pit Newlands colliery, occupied by the Provanhall Coal Company, when one of their number , John M'Lachlan, 14 years of age, met his death in a shocking manner. He had been swinging upon the rope, and held on too long to have a safe jump. He was immediately hauled up to the pulley wheel, between which and the rope he was crushed to death. [Scotsman 11 December 1888]

25 December 1888

Terrible Fall Down A Coal Pit - At midnight on Tuesday, Francis M'Kay (21), pit-bottomer, met with a terrible death in the shaft of No. l Pit, Bothwell Castle colliery, belonging to Messrs William Baird & Co. Some extra work was being done in the Ell coal seam, and about eleven o'clock deceased came to the surface for his supper. About midnight he stepped on to the cage along with John Lindsay, labourer, and James Archibald, bricklayer, with the intention of descending the pit again, they had only been lowered about four yards when the cage gave a jerk, causing the deceased to fall over the side to the bottom, a depth of 180 fathoms. [Scotsman 27 December 1888]

9 December 1890

Shocking Accident In A Pit - It is reported that Andrew O'Donnell, roadsman, Thorniewood, has met his death in a very painful manner in No 1 pit, Tannochside Colliery. A large stone fell from the roof and seriously crushed the lower part of his body. The unfortunate man was being removed to the infirmary in an ambulance van, when he died on the way. [Evening Times 10 December 1890]

3 August 1891

Yesterday afternoon a fatal fire-damp explosion occurred in Haughhead, colliery, owned by Mr Colin Dunlop, whereby a mining contractor, Robert Struthers, 38 years of age, residing at Uddingston, was instantaneously killed. It appears that Struthers had been assisting the fireman to repair the air-course, when the latter had occasion to go for some more material to stuff the bratticing, but ere he got back the explosion had occurred. When Struthers' body was found it showed that death had been instantaneous. [Scotsman 4 August 1891]

2 June 1892

Bellshill – Fatal Pit Accident – Between the hours of four and five on Thursday afternoon, in the new Orbiston Pit, a very painful accident occurred in which Archibald Girvan, about 26, residing at Paterson's Land, Bellshill, met his death, and John M'Cafferty, Napier Square, Holytown, was seriously injured. They were driving a stone mine in No 2 Pit and prepared and fired three shots, two of which took effect. Thinking the third had not been lighted, they went to see, when it exploded. Both men were dreadfully injured. They were attended by Drs M'Gown and Thomson. Girvan lived about an hour; he leaves a wife and two children. M'Cafferty was taken to the Royal Infirmary. His right arm has been fractured at the elbow, and his head and body are seriously injured. [Hamilton Advertiser 4 June 1892]

11 April 1893

Uddingston - Fatal Colliery Accident - An accident occurred on Tuesday night at Heatheryknowe pit, resulting in the death of a young man named Swan. Deceased was at work when a fall took place. [Glasgow Herald 13 April 1893]

27 May 1893

A fire broke out on Saturday morning in the workings of No 2 pit, Orbiston Colliery, Bellshill, belonging to Messrs Addie. Three men, while assisting in extinguishing the fire, were overcome by afterdamp and suffocated. By noon the fire was practically mastered [Times May 29 1893]

Fire In A Bellshill Pit - Three Men Suffocated - A most deplorable occurrence happened at an early hour on Saturday-morning in No 1 Pit, Orbiston Colliery, Bellshill, belonging to Summerlee and Mossend Iron and Steel Company, by which three men lost their lives - one of these in the heroic but vain effort to save that of a fellow-workman. About twelve o'clock on Friday night fire was discovered in the splint coal seam at a part where a pump was at work. There had been a fall of coal and rubbish from the roof and sides, and the supposition is that the friction that ensued generated heat to the extent of setting fire to the surrounding wood-work and coal. Upon the discovery of the fire seven men were detailed to take steps to extinguish the burning. In their endeavours they stayed too long, and were overcome by the fumes of white damp. This noxious gas would appear to be somewhat rare in mining experience, as some time ago in a discussion in the Mining Institute of Scotland several leading members confessed to ' never having seen it. The suggestion is that it is the products of uncompleted combustion. A number of the workmen were able to find their way outside the deadly atmosphere, and to rescue the others. Several men at once volunteered to take part in the hazardous task of penetrating to where the missing men were. In the attempt one of them, William Maddison, wood-setter, Orbiston New Rows, succumbed. The others who were lost were Peter M'Allister, bottomer, Orbiston Old Rows, and John M'Killop reddsman, Larkhall. They are all married men. The fire was got under by the middle of the day on Saturday. [Glasgow Herald 29 May 1893]

10 October 1893

Fatal Pit Accident At Uddingston – Yesterday afternoon, a miner named John Graham was killed while at work in Tannochside Colliery, belonging to the Calderbank Steel Company. [Scotsman 11 October 1893]

18 February 1895

Fatal Pit Accident - On Monday, while two men and a lad were waiting to be taken to the surface in the cage in one of the Calderbank Iron and Steel Company's pits at Bromhouse, near Glasgow, a stone crashed down upon them. One of the men, named Bryce, was instantly killed, and the others were removed to the Glasgow Infirmary badly injured. [Falkirk Herald 20 February 1895]

26 June 1895

Mining Accidents at Holytown - John Balfour (38), a miner residing in Holytown was killed in No. 7 pit, Thankerton colliery belonging to J. M'Andrew & Co., by a fall of coal from the roof in the virgin seam on Wednesday night. In No. 6 pit of the same colliery an explosion of gas took place on Wednesday, by which John Mulhall, (46), miner, Baird's Square, Holytown, who was working in the lower Drumgray seam, was severely burned. [Scotsman 28 June 1895]

30 August 1895

Fatal Colliery Accident at Uddingston – On Friday, while a boy named James Semple, aged 14, son of James Semple, ostler, residing at Kirkwood, near Uddingston, was engaged guiding bogies in Nackerty Colliery No 3, belonging to the Glasgow Iron and Steel Company, one of the bogies left the rails, knocking away a post, when a large stone fell from the roof, crushing the boy so seriously about the back and chest that he succumbed to his injuries early on Saturday morning. [Scotsman 2 September 1895]

26 September 1895

Serious Colliery Accident - Yesterday the Airdrie ambulance waggon was called out to convey a man named William M'Hutchison (37), a miner, residing at Legbrannoch Square, Holytown, who had been seriously injured in a pit of the Woodhall colliery Company, near Calderbank. Dr Taylor, who was. in attendance, found the man suffering from a serious fracture of the skull, caused by a fall from the roof of the pit, and being of the opinion that the man could not survive removal to the infirmary, the doctor ordered that he be taken home. [Scotsman 27 September 1895]

7 September & 24 October 1896

Fatal Accident Inquiries At Airdrie - Yesterday Sheriff Mair and a jury inquired into two fatal accidents at Airdrie. The first was as to the death of John M'Cusker in No. 2 pit, Tannochside colliery, belonging to the Calderbank Steel & Coal Company (Limited), and the second as to the death of William Winning in No. 4 (Bogleshole) pit, Carmyle, belonging to James Dunlop & Co. (Limited.) In each case the deceased had been killed by the fall of a portion of the roof in his working place. The jury found in accordance with the evidence in each case. The jury afterwards divided their fees equally between the widows of the the deceased men. [Scotsman 31 October 1896]

24 November 1896

Fatal Accident Inquiries At Hamilton – Yesterday Sheriff Davidson and a jury inquired into six fatal accidents. The first one taken up – that regarding the death of John Prosher, miner, Uddingston, who died on 24th ult from injuries received by him in No 2 Pit, Blantyre Farm Colliery, Blantyre, occupied the attention of the court for an hour an a half. At the close of the evidence the jury found that the management was to blame for not insisting on the building of pillars for the support of the roof, the fall of which fatally crushed the deceased. In the remaining cases verdicts in accordance with the evidence were returned. [Scotsman 25 December 1896]

31 January 1897

Two Men Killed at Bellshill - A disastrous explosion occurred in No. 2 pit, Bellshill Colliery, early on Monday morning, resulting in the deaths of a fireman named Owen Heron and a brusher named Thomas McGill. The men had been employed in the main coal seam, and while Heron was stemming a charge of gelatine it exploded, injuring him in a terrible manner, and causing his instantaneous death. M'Gill who was in the vicinity at the time, was drawn down by the shock of the explosion, and was so severely burned all over the body that he died shortly after being removed to the Royal Infirmary. Heron was 48 years of age and M'Gill twenty, and both men resided at Main Street, Bellshill. [Scotsman 3 February 1897]

1 March 1897

Fatal Pit Accident At Carfin – Yesterday, while two men named M'Kinstray and Robertson were driving a road in Carfin Colliery, a large quantity of rubbish came away from the roof and buried them. The unfortunate men lay in that position from 9pm till 5am yesterday. When extricated, M'Kinstray was quite dead, and Robertson, having been buried up to the neck, was alive, but seriously injured. [Scotsman 4 March 1897]

6 April 1897

Fatal Colliery Accident – A sad accident occurred at the Calderbank Iron and Steel Company's No. 1 colliery, Tannochside,. near Uddingston, yesterday afternoon, whereby a miner named Thomas Russell (68), residing at New Tannochside Rows, was fatally injured and his son Samuel, aged 28, sustained serious injuries; The father and son were at work together in the splint coal seam, when a fall of several tons came away from the roof burying both men. The son was got out about a quarter of an hour after the accident, but the father was not extricated until half an hour had elapsed, and then life was found to be extinct. [Scotsman 7 April 1897]

20 September 1897

Miner Killed At Uddingston – Yesterday afternoon, in No 2 Pit, Viewpark Colliery, a fall from the roof took place by which Joseph Currie, a Pole, residing at 2 Muirpark Rows, Uddingston, was instantaneously killed. [Scotsman 21 September 1897]

26 January 1898

Serious Blasting Accident in a Coal Mine – It has transpired that a blasting accident occurred in the main coal seam of No 3 Pit, Tannochside Colliery, whereby two brushing contractors, Edward Hodgkiss, Thorniewood, and John Hodgkiss sustained severe injuries. They had been charging a shot with blasting powder, when a quantity of the powder exploded unexpectedly, burning them severely, while a piece of the wood rammer, 3 1/2 inches long, struck Edward with such force on the right side of his head as to inflict a bad wound, the wood being embedded in the flesh. [Scotsman 31 January 1898]

12 February 1898

Miner Killed at Uddingston – Late on Friday night, while two miners named Charles Sneddon and John Grant were engaged propping in Tannochside Colliery, near Uddingston, belonging to the Calderbank Steel and Iron Company Ltd, the cross piece gave way and, striking Grant on the head, knocked him to the ground. Before he could recover himself a fall took place from the roof, smothering him with stone and earth. On being extricated life was extinct. Deceased was 45 years of age, married, and only recently came from Cambuslang, where his wife resides. [Scotsman 14 February 1898]

28 June 1898

Brusher Killed - About midnight on Tuesday, James Fay, 34, employed as a brusher at Bothwell Park Colliery, and residing at the Rows, was killed by a fall of stone while widening and extending a lye about 300 fathoms from the pit bottom. [Bellshill Speaker July 2 1898]

1 August 1898

Tannochside – Brusher Killed – While a brusher named M'Dermid was at work in Tannochside colliery on Monday night, a fall took place from the roof, and he was buried in the debris. On being extricated life was extinct. [Bellshill Speaker August 6 1898]

Fatal Accident Inquiry – On Saturday, Sheriff Mair, and a jury sitting in Airdrie, inquired into the circumstances surrounding the death of Hugh M'Diarmid, brusher, in No 3 Pit Tannochside Colliery, belonging to the Calderbank Steel & Coal Company Limited. The jury found that he died from injuries sustained about 20 minutes previously through a large stone falling on him from the roof. [Bellshill Speaker September 10 1898]

4 August 1898

Uddingston – Youth Killed – While James M'Connell, 17 pony driver, residing with his father in Bellshill Road, Uddingston, was on Thursday forenoon at work in Messrs Baird's Bothwell Park Colliery, a number of hutches broke away and he was run down, the hutches piling on top of him. On being extricated, life was found to be extinct. [Bellshill Speaker August 6 1898]

August 1898

Accident at Rosehall Pit – David Millar jun, 13, son of a miner residing at Eglinton's Land, Bellshill, was last week injured in No 7 Rosehall Colliery. He had been engaged filling hutches at the face of the pyotshaw seam when a stone, weighing about 7lbs, fell from the brushing of the roof and fractured his right forearm. He was attended by Dr M'Donald, assistant to Dr Service. [Bellshill Speaker August 6 1898]

7 August 1898

Uddingston Colliery Disaster - Two Men Killed at Viewpark Colliery - On Sunday morning a sad accident occurred at Messrs Robert Addie & Son's Viewpark Colliery, Uddingston, whereby the oversman and engineer lost their lives, and a third man had a miraculous escape from death. The firm are introducing compressed air machinery for haulage purposes instead of steam power, and have for some time past been engaged in erecting the necessary pipes in the shaft when the pits were idle. For this purpose a scaffold is use, and is raised and lowered up and down a space adjoining the cage division, and to reach the scaffold men descend by the cage, and when arriving at the point reached in the operations step across to the scaffold. The stage reached previous to Sunday was 50 fathoms from the bottom, and at seven o'clock on Sunday morning, William Jardine, oversman, 1 Muirpark Rows, Uddingston; Thomas Devlin, engineer, 28 Muirpark Rows, Uddingston; and Robert Barber, Glenavon Terrace, Uddingston, descended the shaft, and arrived at the scaffold all right. About half past eight o'clock, however, Mr Allan, the manager, who was at the pit at the time was informed that the bell had rung for the scaffold to be lowered, but as the scaffold was already down he suspected something was wrong. The cage was lowered, and Barber was discovered standing alone on a narrow plank or bunting on the far side of the side shaft. He was at once rescued from his perilous position, and brought to the surface. His statement is to the effect that Jardine, Devlin and he were busy fixing a pipe length when Jardine, anxious to assist in the work, forgetting for a moment his dangerous position, let go his hold of the scaffolding and fell headlong down the shaft, a depth of fully 50 fathoms. Devlin and Barber descended the piping, reaching 18 feet lower when Devlin attempted to step across the pipe shaft to the cage shaft beyond, and reach the bell rope, when he too fell down the shaft. Barber remained in his perilous position until rescued as stated. A party then went in search of the missing men. Jardine was found hanging by the trouser-leg, which had caught on a nail. He was shockingly mutilated and quite dead. Devlin was nowhere to be seen, and ultimately the water in the sumph, which is 12 feet deep, was chested for several feet and grappling irons got, when his body was recovered. The bodies were at once coffined and sent to the homes of the deceased. Both men were married, and leave large families. The event cast a gloom over the neighbourhood on Sunday. [Bellshill Speaker August 13 1898]

9 September 1898

Holytown – Explosion of Gas in a Coal Pit – On Friday forenoon, Malcolm Miller, miner, Legbrannock, was burned about the arms and neck through an explosion of gas in the pit in which he is employed. He had been engaged driving an air-course, and in connection with the work he had gone into a disused road, where he had no right to be, the result being that his naked light ignited the accumulation of gas in the place, and caused an explosion. He was taken home, but succumbed to his injuries the following day. [Bellshill Speaker September 17 1898]

13 September 1898

Fatal Colliery Accident – Yesterday afternoon while a miner named James Thomson, residing at Uddingston, was at work in Blantyre Ferme Colliery the roof gave way, and he was completely buried. On being extracted life was extinct. [Scotsman 14 September 1898]

30 November 1898

Pit Explosion - On Wednesday last week James Johnston, 22, a pit roadsman, Allanbank, Glasgow Road, Bellshill, was severely burned on the arms and hands by an explosion of gas in a road in the pyotshaw seam of No 6 Rosehall Colliery. The gas had accumulated during an interval when Johnston was at his piece. His injuries were dressed by Dr Findlay. [Bellshill Speaker December 3 1898]

20 June 1899

Explosion At A Holytown Colliery - Seven Men Injured - A severe explosion of gas occurred on Tuesday forenoon in the Blackie Pit, Holytown, occupied by Messrs J. Nimmo & Co., whereby seven miners were seriously injured. There names are Dougal Sleath, New Stevenston; Lawrence M'Cann, Wrangholm; James King, Wm. Carrigan and David Carrigan, brothers, residing at Holytown; Peter Connelly, Jerviston; and William Rodney, New Stevenston. The first four named are the more seriously injured, and were taken to the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, for treatment.

The explosion, which is believed to have resulted from an accumulation of gas, took place about eleven o'clock in the forenoon in the Pyotshaw seam, in which a large number of men were employed. For a time panic prevailed, but very soon order was restored, and steps were taken to help the injured. It was then found that the explosion was confined to one or two contiguous “places,” all the men injured having been working in close proximity to each other.

The injured men were at once conveyed to the surface and attended to by Dr Smith, New Stevenston, after which David Carrigan, Connelly, and Rodney were sent home, and the less fortunate miners to the infirmary in the Motherwell ambulance wagon.

When the explosion was made known in the neighbouring mining villages considerable alarm prevailed and a large number of women were soon round the pit in an excited state, but on learning that the accident was not so extensive as rumour had pictured it they soon dispersed quietly to their homes. [Bellshill Speaker June 24 1899]

NB Lawrence McCann died 22 June 1899 in Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Henry Connelly died 7 July 1899 in Glasgow Royal Infirmary

3 July 1899

Sad occurrence In Woodhall Colliery – Two Men Suffocated – Heroic Attempt At Rescue - A very sad occurrence took place in No. 1 pit, Woodhall Colliery, the property of Messrs Barr and Higgins, near Calderbank, on Monday night. Two men, named Thomas Stewart (28), miner, Brazier's Land, Calderbank, and Thomas Bowes, (29), pit fireman, Main Street, Chapelhall, were working in the mine when they appear to have been overcome by firedamp, having been found dead at their working place.

The men left their homes in the early morning and went down the pit at the usual time. They were to be employed for the day driving a hole at the end of an old hutch road to workings on a higher level, so as to drain away an accumulation of water in the lower Drumgray seam, about three-quarters of a mile from the pit bottom. In this work they appear to have been somewhat isolated from the other workmen in the mine; at all events they had been working away together without any of the other miners coming near them till night time. This caused no little anxiety to their wives at home, seeing that they had not returned at the usual time in the afternoon for their dinner. It was not till about eight o'clock at night that word got abroad in the district to the effect that the two men had been found dead in the pit. The greatest excitement prevailed, and many hundreds of people assembled in the vicinity of the colliery, from the villages of Chapelhall and Calderbank, anxious to learn the actual fate of the missing workmen.

It appears that Stewart's regular working place was at the higher level, and being partly drowned out by water, the hole that was being pierced in the workings was to drain the water away from it into the old hutch road. As Stewart was working by himself, Bowes, as fireman, had to supervise and assist as he thought necessary. The place is about twenty fathoms from the main air course, so that the ventilation could not be said to be of the best, and the supposition, so far, is that there had been an accumulation of firedamp hanging about. As has been stated, no one seems to have been near the men during their day's operations, until about half-past seven in the evening, when Andrew Kerr, pit fireman, who resides at Holytown Road, Chapelhall, happened to be passing the road leading to where they were working, and went to see how they were progressing. Four or five fathoms off the old hutch road into the place where he was supposed to be working he found Stewart lying on his face and his arms stretched in front of him, and Bowes lying at his back with one leg doubled up against a prop, his other foot being with two feet of Stewart's hands. Both men were found to be dead. From the position of their bodies Kerr says he formed the opinion that Bowes had been first affected by the damp, and that in order to try and rescue him from its overpowering effects Stewart had got a hold of him and was in the act of dragging him out when he also was overpowered by the deadly atmosphere. The air at the time of the discovery by Kerr was fairly good, but it had still some damp in it.

No time was lost in reporting the matter; and the bodies of the unfortunate men were immediately conveyed to the pithead and taken to their homes. There they were examined by Dr Brownlie, Calderbank, who was at the time unable from outward examination to pronounce as to the cause of death, there being no marks.

Both men were married, and leave widows and children, for whom deep sympathy in expressed in the district. It may be mentioned that Bowes lived next door to the house where Thomas Paterson, who recently lost his life in the same pit, resided. [Bellshill Speaker July 8 1899]

July 8 1899

Fatal Accident at Rosehall Colliery – On Saturday morning a pony driver named Daniel M'Donald, 19, residing at Addie's Square, Bellshill, met with a fatal accident in No 7 Rosehall Colliery, belonging to Robert Addie and Sons, where he was employed. It appears that deceased at the time of the accident had been driving a load of hutches along the Pyotshaw Road. Something appears to have gone wrong with the hutches, and the lad, after stooping to put it right straightened himself up. At that moment the horse kicked out with one of its hind legs and caught M'Donald on the stomach. M'Donald was taken to the surface and attended by Dr Simpson, Bellshill. He was then removed home, but died on Sunday afternoon about four o'clock from his injuries. [Bellshill Speaker July 15 1899]

6 December 1899

Tannochside – The Death of a Waggon Shifter – On Friday before Sheriff Mair and a jury was held as to the death of James Taylor, waggon shifter, Muirhead Place, Tannochside, by being crushed between two waggons, at No 1 Tannochside Colliery (Mr Arch. Russell's). The evidence was to the effect that the deceased had been dealing with four waggons that had come back to the scree to be filled. One of them was detached and brought up to the scree, when it is thought other two came slowly towards the first. Deceased had spragged the first one, but had neglected to sprag the others, which collided with the one at the scree, and jammed the deceased, who died half an hour afterwards. The accident was due to the neglect of the deceased to sprag the three standing waggons. The jury found accordingly. [Bellshill Speaker 30 December 1899]

27 December 1899

Fatal Accident at Hattonrigg Colliery – Edward Callaghan, 59, brusher, residing at Neilson's Land, Main Street, Holytown, met with an accident about 12 midnight on Tuesday, while engaged at work in Hattonrigg Colliery, belonging to the Summerlee and Mossend Iron and Steel Company Ltd. Deceased was in the act of clearing away a number of loose stones from the roof, when about a ton of stones fell on the top of him. He was attended to by Dr. John M'Millan, who certified that he had received a dislocation of the spine, fracture of the right thigh bone, and a large wound on the forehead. He was removed to the Royal Infirmary, where he died about an hour after his admission. He was unmarried and had no relatives in the district, but it is supposed that he has three sisters in Glasgow, but, so far, no trace of whereabouts has been found. Calleghan had been in the company's service for 14 years. [Bellshill Speaker 30 December 1899]