Ayrshire  Accidents 1855-1870

This section contains newspaper reports on  selected accidents in Ayrshire between 1855 and 1870 inclusive. Please check the indexes in the Accidents Section for reports by the Inspector of Mines and accidents in other areas.

28 January 1855

Mysterious Occurrence At Kilmarnock - On Sunday morning, as two men, in the employ of Mr. Howie, coalmaster, Hurlford, were going down one of his pits, named the " Defiance," for the purpose of drawing the water, they observed a jacket hanging on the bunting on the side of it, and at the bottom they found the body of a collier of the name of James Grier. The pit is sixty-three fathoms deep, and the body was frightfully bruised, the skull being fractured, and one of the limbs broken off. Whether he had stumbled, leaped, or been thrown into the pit is not known, but there is no doubt that an inquiry will be made into the circumstances. The deceased is a young man about 25 years of age, and leaves a widow and three children. It appears that on Saturday night he had been indulging too freely in liquor in one of the public-houses at Hurlford, and had quarrelled with some others who were drinking in the house. Two of his companions had conducted him home, and had got him to take off his shoes, and urged him to go to bed. After they left, in spite of the remonstrance of his wife, he went put in his stockings. He had called on a brother-in-law, and asked him to go with him to the pit. His friend refused, and Grier went away, saying, in an offended tone, that it would be the last time he would ask him. On the Sabbath morning he was found as above narrated. At what hour he got into the pit is not known, but it must have been after twelve o'clock, as some of the hands were employed about it up to that hour, and when they left all was quiet. [Morning Chronicle 1 February 1855]

9 February 1855

Fatal coal pit accident - On Friday morning week an accident of a fatal nature occurred to a lad named Storrie, about 15 years of age, residing in Whitletts, at one of the pits of the Ayr colliery, known as the Black Diamond Pit. It seems that the deceased and his father worked in the same room, and, on going down the pit on Friday morning, finding the props they had previously put up had been removed by the night shift men,they, fearing the roof would fall, put in props to support it. The unfortunate deceased was told by his father to put in a third, but he did not consider it necessary, and shortly afterwards a portion of the roof fell on him, killing him instantaneously. [Ayr Advertiser quoted in Glasgow Herald Feb 19 1855]

12 March 1855

Coal Pit Accident - Accidents of a fatal nature are now occurring at the Ayr Colliery with distressing frequency. Another, which happened in the Black Diamond Pit, on the morning of Monday last, has now to be added to the list. A young man, named Douglas Wason, residing with his father at Prestwick Toll, was ascending from the bottom in a hutch, in company with the overseer, his deputy and another man named Clarke, when some heavy object, falling from above, struck him on the head and killed him on the spot, at the same time injuring the leg of the man Clarke, who had to be carried home. The cause of this melancholy catastrophe was ascertained on the hutch reaching the top. An empty hutch had been left hanging at the mouth of the pit, swinging backwards and forwards and striking against the sides of the pit. One of the four wheels of the hutch, weighing about 10lbs, had become loosened by the striking and at length was knocked off, and fell down the pit just as the other hutch was coming up, with the lamentable result stated above. [Ayr Advertiser quoted in Glasgow March 16 1855]

10 July 1855

An accident of a serious and fatal nature occurred about midday on Tuesday last, in a new pit at present sinking on the lands of Carmelbank near Crosshouse. Two men named Connel and Thomson, had put two charges of powder in the rock to blast it. They ascended the pit and one of the charges went off. After waiting the usual time the other charge had not gone off, and both net down again in order to put in a new charge. On their reaching the rock the charge exploded and severely injured both parties. Connel had one of his legs nearly torn from his body. He was a newly married man, and was immediately conveyed home to his house in Crosshouse, where he died in about 4 hours after the accident. Thomson had both his legs severely fractured and lacerated, and no hopes whatever are entertained of his recovery. Medical aid was speedily procured and everything possible was done to alleviate their sufferings. Thomson resided in Robertson Place, Kilmarnock, and has a wife and two children. [Ayr Advertiser quoted in Glasgow Herald July 13 1855]

NB This report most likely refers to the deaths of William Murray & James Wilson, although this has not yet been confirmed. (No Connel/Thomson deaths have been located and James Wilson resided at Robertson Place Kilmarnock.)

28 July 1855

Fatal Accident – On Saturday last an accident occurred in a pit belonging to the Portland Iron Company, near Cumnock, by which two men were suddenly deprived of life, by the falling of a block of stone from the roof. The names of the unfortunate men are Peter Murray, miner, and Robert Crawford, drawer. The former was married and had a son with him in the pit, who narrowly escaped the fate of his father. Crawford was a young man, and had only gone down a few minutes before the occurrence took place. [Ayr Chronicle quoted in Glasgow Herald August 3 1855]

19 September 1855

Melancholy Accident – 3 Lives Lost - An accident of a melancholy and fatal nature occurred on Wednesday about noon, in No 9 Pit, Caprington Colliery, situated near Laputta, whereby three men lost their lives. The estates of Caprington and Treesbank are separated at the place by the high way between Kilmarnock and Ayr. On the Treesbank estate a pit had been wrought by Mr Whitfield a number of years ago, and was standing waste. The pit on Caprington is situated within a short distance of the road; and while the workman were engaged at work in one of the rooms, Francis Raeside observed the water bubbling through the coal; he called his two sons, who are but boys, to run and he would follow. In doing so, a little distance from the pit bottom, a rush of wind came and knocked one of the boys down.. On rising he looked back and saw his father just as he was overwhelmed by the water which had broken through from the waste pit, and his lamp became extinguished. The boys ran on till they arrived at the pit bottom, and the alarm was speedily conveyed to all the workings. Other two men, named Robert Cunningham and William Sim, wrought at the dip where the water came out and were also overcome. The other men in the pit were speedily conveyed to the pit-mouth; and after a short time the pit was again descended, and the body of Cunningham found within five or six yards from the place he had been working. The other two men, Raeside and Sim, are supposed to have been carried with the water to the dip, where the pit is full, as they have not yet been found. In examining the room where Raeside wrought, it was found the water had broken through the solid coal, making an aperture of from five to six feet wide. It is supposed the seam of blind coal on Treesbank estate had been wrought considerable beyond the march, as the workmen considered that there was still some distance to work before coming to the march. Robert Cunningham has left a widow and eight children, Francis Raeside a widow and eight children and William Sim a widow and five children to lament their loss [Glasgow Herald September 21 1855]

20 November 1855

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - On Tuesday morning last, an accident occurred at the Craigie Pit, which caused the death of a boy about 12 years of age, named Raddox, residing in George St, Wallacetown. A pick had been sent up on the top of a loaded tub, and in its ascent coming in contact with some other object, it was forced off and fell down the shank. Deceased happened to be at the bottom at the time, and the point of the pick struck him on the head, inflicting a most frightful wound. Medical aid was immediately sent for; but on examination it was seen that no human skill could be of avail. The lad was conveyed home and died in about half an hour after his arrival. [Ayr Advertiser quoted in Glasgow Herald November 23 1855]

11 August 1856

Kilmarnock – Jury Court - On Monday the, following case was tried by Sheriff Christison and a jury :- Andrew M'Kean, fireman in the employment of Messrs Merry & Cunningham, of the Ardeer Ironworks, was accused of a culpable and reckless breach of duty, in consequence of which, on the 11th of August, an explosion of firedamp had taken place in a pit of the Stevenson Colliery, known as the Dyke Coal Pit, by which one of the workers, a person of the name of John M'Phail, was killed. In the Dyke Coal Pit there is a part of the workings near the east or south-east extremity of them from which a seam of coal, commonly called the Turf Seam, is being wrought. There is a gau traversing this in a. direction nearly east and west. This gau or dyke separates the works into two divisions. The one to the north is called the old, and that to the south the new coal. There is a place in the workings at which the drawing roads from the new and old coal meet. At the junction of the drawing roads there is a recess in which a box containing safety lamps are kept for the use of the firemen and others engaged in the pit, as it was known, or at least suspected, that dangerous gases existed in the seams known as the new and old coal. It was the duty of M’Kean, as fireman, every morning after going down, and before any one should pass the recess into the old coal, to go with a safety lamp and make a minute inspection, and see if all was safe. Instead of fulfilling this duty, he had, according to the libel, not only himself, but in violence of his duty, allowed M'Phail to go along into the old coal workings with a naked light. Under these circumstances an explosion was caused, which resulted in the death of M'Phail. After a long examination of witnesses, the jury were addressed by Mr Gross, Procurator-Fiscal, who contended that the charge had been substantiated. Mr D. R. Andrews, who was retained for M'Kean, went over the evidence, and pointed out the insufficiency of the evidence to warrant a conviction. After some comments by Sheriff Christison, the jury retired to consider their verdict, and after a short recess returned, by their foreman, Mr William M'Donald, Galston, a verdict of not proven. [Caledonian Mercury 25 December 1856]

21 January 1857

Accident - On Wednesday a miner named James Lowrie, who resides in Dalry, was killed in a pit belonging to William Hamilton, contractor there, in consequence of a fall from the roof. Deceased was working at what is technically called his own face, when the fall came, and it was some time after when he was found. He was then quite stiff. It was only his second shift in the pit. He has left a widow and two young children. [Caledonian Mercury 26 January 1857]

22 April 1859

Fatal Pit Accident - On Friday a lad of fourteen years of age was killed by the fall of a quantity of stone and lime in a pit near Kilmarnock. [Dunfermline Press 28 April 1859]

15 & 16 July 1859

Fatal Coal-Pit Accidents in Ayrshire - Last week a man, named David M'Lymont, was killed in the Glenlogan Pits by the fall of a stone from the roof, calculated to weigh about eight or ten cwt. The following morning, the pitheadsman, James Lindsay, lost his life, by part of the machinery giving way. [Stirling Observer 28 July 1859]

13 September 1859

Fatal Accident - On Tuesday se'enight an accident of a melancholy natured occurred by the falling in of the roof of a coal pit, near Dalry, and which resulted in the almost instantaneous death of two workmen employed there, named, respectively Robert Lang and James Cooper. One of them (Lang) was a native of Hamilton, and was much respected, both here and in Dalry, by a numerous circle of acquaintances, with whom, he was intimately connected. On Friday 16th, deceased (being a free mason) was interred in Dalry Burying Ground with due masonic honours. [Hamilton Advertiser September 24 1859]

17 December 1859

Lugar Iron Works – Fatal Accident - On the afternoon of Saturday last, as John Cameron, pitheadman at No 2 Pit, Mosshouse, was in the act of putting a hutch on the cage, his feet accidentally slipped, supposed to be owing to the frost, and he fell to the bottom of the pit, nearly 60 fathoms. He was dreadfully mangled by the fall. He was very steady and industrious, and has left a wife and family to mourn his loss. - Ayr Observer. [Hamilton Advertiser December 24 1859]

17 January 1860

Coal Pit Accident - On Tuesday one of the workmen in Craigie Colliery, named James Sellars, a "bottomsman," whose duty it was to attend to the reception and despatch of cages, while crossing the bottom of the pit, was caught by one of the ascending cages and drawn up some six or eight feet, thereby sustaining several severe injuries, principally in the arm. Drs Burn and Craig were in attendance shortly after the accident, when they found that amputation of the arm at the shoulder joint was unavoidable. [Caledonian Mercury 20 January 1860]

24 July 1860

Fatal Accident Near Patna - On Tuesday morning some men were engaged putting pipes in a coal pit that the Dalmellington Iron Company are sinking on the farm of Dalharco. Two of their number were in the shank, on a platform suspended from a windlass or crab, which went out of gearing, when they were precipitated to a depth of eight or ten fathoms. One of them was fortunate enough to catch hold of a projecting piece of wood in the shank, and in this manner was saved; while the other fell the whole depth, and was so much hurt that he died in the course of three hours after the accident. No blame is attached to the persons who had charge of raising and lowering them by the windlass. Bennet has left a widow and seven children to mourn his sudden and awful death; nor will his loss be easily supplied to his employers. [Ayr Advertiser, quoted in Herald, July 26 1860]

10 September 1860

Fatal Accident At Patna - We are sorry that we have to record a most distressing event in this locality. On Monday night, about 10 o'clock, two men were changing shift at Pit No 2 Dalharco, and being raised higher than the level of the pithead, the engine keeper, on being instructed to lower them a little, made a mistake and lifted them to the top of the frame, from whence they fell to the bottom of the pit - 40 or 50 fathoms - and were dashed to pieces. The names of the two men were Kenneday and M'Gribbon, the latter of whom was recently married. We understand that the authorities are making strict investigations as to the carelessness of the engine keeper who, although experienced, was only on as a substitute for the shift. It is just 6 weeks since Peter Bennett, the overseer, was killed at the same pit. - Ayr Observer. [Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser 15 September 1860]

19 June 1861

Fatal Accident - An accident which has resulted in the death of a miner, named William Spence, occurred in one of the pits belonging to the Warwickhill Colliery Company. While employed at his usual avocation, a portion of the roof gave way, burying him beneath. When extricated, he was alive, but died immediately after his arrival at his house in Dreghorn. He leaves a large family to lament his loss. [Dunfermline Press 25 June 1861]

19 September 1861

Colliery Explosion At Ayr - An explosion of fire-damp occurred on Thursday in one of the pits of the Ayr Colliery, by which eleven persons were more or less severely burned and injured and which, it is feared, may have fatal results. In the morning the miners to the number of about 100, commenced work as usual in the Sheep Park pit belonging to Messrs George Taylor & Co. About nine o'clock, an explosion was heard in a part of the workings where a number of men were busily engaged. The colliers in different parts of the pit , desirous of ascertaining the extent of the explosion rushed to the spot, and were horrified to find that a number of their companions had been caught by the flame, and fearfully scorched. In a short time eleven persons were discovered who had suffered more or less from the explosion, and were immediately afterwards taken to the surface. They were then all conveyed to the new houses, erected at Annbank, some of them, whose parents live in Ayr, being unable to be removed home in consequence of the severity of their injuries. At Annbank the sufferers were carefully attended to – oil, spirits &c being supplied by the Messrs Taylor &Co. It is supposed that the explosion took place near where a man named William Houston was working, the gas having, it is believed, been ignited by his lamp. Houston is very severely burned and was not expected to survive. It is said that the workings were examined as usual, in the morning, and no fire-damp was discovered. [Scotsman 21 September 1861]

11 October 1861

Fatal Accident - A serious and eventually a fatal accident occurred to a young girl about 18 years of age, on Friday evening, on the Ayr colliery Company's mineral line of railway. The girl, whose name was Mary Cullibert, was in the service of Mr Wright, manager of the colliery, and he was sent to town on some errand of her master's, and while returning home in the evening on one of the colliery engines, one of the steam pipes burst, and the poor girl was very seriously scalded about the body. Medical aid was procured, but the girl died about eight o'clock on Saturday night . The fireman of the engine was severely scalded while trying to save the girl but he is not in danger. [Scotsman 15 October 1861]

31 January 1862

Pit Accident – About 5 o'clock on Friday morning an accident of a serious kind occurred at Greenbank Ironstone Pit, Dalry, belonging to Messrs Merry & Cunninghame. David Scoular engineman at the pit, was managing the engine so as to bring up the night shift miners and let down those for the day shift. Two miners James & Alexander Scoular [sic] were ascending in the cage. On arriving at the mouth of the pit, through some strange mismanagement of the engineman, who is said to be a steady and experienced person, the engine was not stopped, but the cage allowed to be carried over the pulleys, and the miners being thrown out, Alexander was killed instantly and James very seriously hurt. For this apparently gross negligence on the part of Scoular, he was arrested, and on Saturday morning committed to Kilmarnock prison. During the day he was examined by Sheriff Anderson, and in the meantime has been liberated on bail. [Herald February 4 1862]

March 1862

Ayr – March 25 – Coalpit Accident – Yesterday a man of the name of Hugh Morrison, a fisherman, but who has lately taken to the occupation of a collier, met with a severe accident in one of the Craigie pits belonging to Mr Brown. He was engaged mining a large piece of coal, when it suddenly came away and fell upon him, severely crushing him about the chest, and breaking 4 of his ribs. - We are sorry to say that another severe accident occurred this morning to another miner employed at the same works. He is a man of the name of Bickerstaff, and lives in High Street. He sustained a dislocation of the thigh bone. Dr Burns on the poor fellow being taken home in a cart, had him put under the influence of chloroform, and speedily reduced the dislocation. [Herald March 26 1862]

18 June 1862

Kilmarnock – Fatal Accident – On Wednesday afternoon, William Jamieson, a blacksmith aged about 20, was unfortunately killed at the Old Bridge Pit, at Hurlford. He was engaged, along with others, in taking down the machinery connected with the engine, as the it was wrought out. The triangle, on which was suspended a pulley and rope wrought by a windlass, gave way and one of the poles of the triangle falling on him broke his left arm and fractured his skull. Drs Borland and M'Leod were sent for but under the circumstances their services could be of no avail, as in little more than an hour life was gone. The unfortunate young man had only entered the employment of Messrs Gilmour and Co on Monday, but he is a native of the place, and resided with his father, who is also a blacksmith at Hurlford. [Herald June 20 1862]

13 January 1863

Fatal Coal-Pit Accident - About half-past six on Tuesday evening, a fireman named Adam Reid, about 20 years of age, and unmarried, met with his death at the Dalmellington Iron Company's pit No. 4, Dounieston. He and the engineman being the only persons about the pit-head were engaged in hoisting a hutch of coal from the low shuts to the scaffold, about ten feet above, for the use of the fire-lamp. The engineman lifted the cage from the bottom, and stopped it about half-way between the low shuts and the scaffold, intending to lower it as soon as he received the signal from Reid that the shuts were closed for the cage to rest on. After waiting a considerable time, he came round to ascertain what could he detaining him ; and not finding either him or the hutch, he suspected something wrong, and at once gave the alarm. On descending the pit, which is 65 fathoms deep, Reid's mangled and lifeless body was picked up ; whilst the hutch was found sticking at the high doors, about 18 feet from the bottom. The supposition is that he must have been under the impression that the cage was ready for him ; and having pushed forward the hutch in the dark, both fell to the bottom. He was a quiet and steady young man, and will be much missed by the younger members of the family, whom he helped to maintain - his father having been killed on the works some months ago. – Ayrshire Express [Dunfermline Press 21 January 1863]

NB Adam Reid sen died of burns following fire damp explosion on 23 November 1856

26 March 1863

Kilmarnock - Fatal Accident - A drawer named James Docherty, was killed in No 19 Glenlogan, near Auchinleck, on Thursday. He was proceeding along with a hutch of ironstone, when a large stone fell on him from the roof instantly depriving him of life. [Glasgow Herald 30 March 1863]

10 April 1863

Fatal Colliery Accident - On Friday morning James Wallace, collier, while working in a pit at Hurlford, Kilmarnock, was killed by the fall of a large stone from the roof. The deceased was a quiet and industrious young man, and has left a widow and one child. [Dunfermline Press 15 April 1863]

2 January 1864

Fatal Accident - A sad and deplorable accident occurred on Saturday last, 2d inst., at No. 5 Braehead Pit, Lugar, to a miner named Redman Kellan, residing in Bank Row. He had been indulging rather freely in intoxicating liquor, and, under its influence, went to the pit-head with the intention of drawing his graith. While staying about the pit-mouth, he stumbled and fell to the bottom of the shaft, a depth of about 80 fathoms. His body was dreadfully mangled, and, of course, life was quite extinct. He has left a widow and two children. [Glasgow Herald 6 January 1864]

23 July 1864

Fatal Pit Accident - Intelligence was received in Kilmarnock, on Friday, by the friends of Charles M'Cutchin, a miner in an ironstone pit near Patna, that he had been killed by a portion of the roof falling in on him while he was engaged at his work on Friday morning. - Kilmarnock Post. [Dunfermline Saturday Press 30 July 1864]

16 February 1865

Fatal Colliery Accident - Robert Raeside, a miner, aged 41, and married, was killed while loading a hutch in No. 5 of the Barleith and Dollars Collieries, on Thursday, through a portion of the roof falling on his back and breaking the spine. [Glasgow Herald 20 February 1865]

1 April 1865

Three Men Killed in a Coal Pit – On Saturday last, a fearful accident occurred No. 10 pit, Glenlogan, parish of Auchinleck belonging to the Eglinton Iron Company. While three young lads, named John Brown, William Wallace , and Edward Pillin , from sixteen to eighteen years of age, were engaged in “brushing” a fall of debris came away and instantly deprived them of life. Two miners , named Patrick Marley and John Wallace, had a narrow escape. [Scotsman 5 April 1865]

15 April 1865

Fatal Accident to Three Miners - A deplorable accident occurred on Saturday evening to three miners, named, James M'Intosh, William Carnochan, and Peter Foley, in No. 5 pit, Rodinghead, near Cumnock, belonging to the Eglinton Iron Company. It appears that they were ascending in the cage from their work, when it caught on the slides, and canted the men down to the bottom of the shaft - a depth of about twenty fathoms. They were, of course, killed on the spot . It is only about two weeks since three lads were killed in another of the same company 's pits near Cumnock. M'Intosh leaves a wife and three children; the others are unmarried. [Scotsman 20 April 1865]

13 May 1865

Fatal Coal-Pit Accident - On the afternoon of Saturday last a fatal accident occurred at Annbank Colliery, Ayr, to a man named Reid, a pitheadman. The unfortunate occurrence happened in the following manner: - Reid was standing on the pithead drawing the loaded Hitches, when an ascending cage wrenched off a portion of the wooden slide, and lifting it up, it fell upon the unfortunate man and killed him upon the spot. Reid was married, and was a native of Kilmarnock. [Dunfermline Saturday Press 20 May 1865]

6 June 1865

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - Another of those accidents which have of late become so common in our neighbourhood occurred on Monday afternoon in one of the coal pits at Annbank. Two young men, miners, named respectively Malony and Dunlop, were at work in the bottom of the shaft, about two o'clock, when a fall of stones from the roof took place, burying them both in the debris. When they were extricated, it was found that Malony was dead, he having been killed instantaneously; while Dunlop sustained such severe injuries that his life is despaired of. Malony was the elder of the two, being about eighteen years of age and was the chief support of the family, his father being an old infirm man. [Glasgow Herald 7 June 1865]

19 May 1866

Fatal Coal-Pit Accident - A distressing accident occurred late on Friday evening, at Annbank colliery, a few miles from Ayr, whereby a brusher or reddsman, named John O'Harra, lost his life. It appears that the deceased, who was working in the night-shift, in No. 4 pit, was in the act of brushing one of the roads, when a large stone of several tons weight loosened, slid down from the side of the pit, and caught him in its descent. All the men in the pit immediately came to his assistance, and endeavoured by every possible means to remove the stone, but without avail, and in less than half-an-hour after the accident had taken place the poor man breathed his last. Before his body could be extricated the stone had to be broken up. Deceased, who was a married man, was between thirty and forty years of age, and has left a wife and four young children. [Dunfermline Saturday Press 26 May 1866]

16 & 18 July 1866

Kilmarnock – Fatal Pit Accidents – On Wednesday James Neil, a miner, was instantaneously killed by a fall of stone from the roof in one of the Annandale pits. He has left a widow and five children. In the Star pit, Hurlford, a young man named Cunningham Reid, who had newly come from Stevenston, met with a similar accident, and died after about an hour's suffering. [Scotsman 20 July 1866]

30 June 1867

Sad Coal Pit Accident in Ayrshire – An accident of melancholy character happened on Sunday night at the newly opened coal pit near Brocklar, on Sorn Castle estate. The pit was out of order, and one of the managers (Mr Nimmo) went down on Sunday night. The hutch went down quite safely, there being nobody at the bottom of the pit except Mr Nimmo himself. How the sad accident happened it is impossible to tell. A groan was heard, calls were made down the pit, and when the engineman went down he found poor Mr Nimmo in a state of insensibility. The poor man was conveyed home, and Dr Ballantine was in immediate attendance, but he was unable to do anything to alleviate his sufferings. In fact almost no outward marks of injury were seen, which leads to the belief that the injuries were the result of a crush, and were internal. After lingering till Tuesday forenoon, he expired. [Edinburgh Evening Courant 6 July 1867]

8 February 1868

Kilmarnock – Fatal Accident - On Saturday evening, a fatal accident occurred on the Mayfield mineral branch of the Glasgow and South-Western Railway. The colliers employed at the Grougar Pits, when returning from their labours, frequently avail themselves of the waggons by leaping upon them so as to get sooner home. On Saturday, a number of them were doing this, though it is contrary to the regulations, when, on coming up to the bridge on the Galston Road, and, opposite to the Comet Pit, belonging to Messrs A Gilmour & Co., one of the colliers, named James Sellars, residing at Hurlford, leaped off while the waggons were in motion, and, missing his footing, fell upon the rails before them. Both of his legs and one of his arms were completely severed, and the poor man died alter several hours intense suffering. [Scotsman 11 February 1868]

14 February 1868

Fatal Colliery Accident – Yesterday, about 11 o'clock, a lad named Cowan, son of John Cowan, a collier, residing at Portland Row, Hurlford, was accidentally killed by a fall of stones from the roof of No 3 Grougar Pit, belonging to the Portland Iron Company. The poor lads skull was fractured by the fall, and death was instantaneous. [Herald 15 February 1868]

14 January 1869

Kilmarnock - Fatal Accident - About one o'clock yesterday, an accident occurred at No. 2 Grange Pit, in this neighbourhood, whereby a miner, named George Broggan, was instantaneously killed. It appears that while at work bringing down a quantity of coal from the seam, a portion struck and knocked away a prop near the spot where he was standing, the consequence of which was that a large stone fell upon him from the roof, burying him beneath it. The poor man was shockingly mangled, and death must have been immediate. The deceased, who resided in High Street, was about 30 years of age, and has left a wife and one child. He came to this locality from Wishaw only eight days ago. [Glasgow Herald 15 January 1869]

Deceased was George Brogan, aged 23

21 & 24 April 1869

Kilmarnock – Fatal Accident - Yesterday, about mid-day, a man named William Drummond met with a fatal accident at No. 3 Pit, Holmes Colliery, belonging to Mr Horne. It appears he was employed shifting a number of waggons down an incline at the pit, when having occasion to pass in front he missed his footing and fell before the wheels, which passed over him, inflicting dreadful injuries and killing him on the spot. Deceased was about 60 years of age, and resided in Galston, where he has left a widow and grown up family. - Another fatal accident occurred at Mr Horne's Street-head Pit on Wednesday last. A roadsman named Andrew Connel, employed in one of this workings, was ascending in the cage with two other men to the level mine, about seven fathoms above the main coal, when through a mistake the cage was raised beyond the mine, but on a signal being given it was again lowered to allow them to get off, Connel was in the act of leaving the cage when the machinery was again set in motion, and he was caught between the cage and the roof of the mine. The result was that he fell to the bottom of the shaft, and was instantaneously killed. He leaves a widow and large family. [Glasgow Herald 24 April 1869]

28 May 1869

Kilmarnock - Colliery Accident - Yesterday morning, a miner named David Stevenson, residing in Grange Street, was severely injured on the bank by a fall from the roof of a working at Woodhill Colliery, in which he was employed. - John Quails, another miner, residing in Fore Street, had his collar-bone broken by a similar accident in one of the Hillhead pits. Dr M'Leod attended both sufferers, and we are glad to learn that their injuries are not of a dangerous character. [Glasgow Herald 29 May 1869]