Stirlingshire Accidents 1855-1870

This section contains newspaper reports on selected accidents in Stirlingshire from 1855 to 1870 inclusive. Please check the indexes in the Accidents Section for reports by the Inspector of Mines and accidents in other areas.

14 February 1856

Pit Accident. - On Thursday last a miner named Francis Russell, while at work in Lady Pit No. 2, Grangemouth, was killed by a stone falling upon him from the roof of the pit. Deceased only survived the accident about seven hours. On the following day another workman was severely injured in pit No. 1 from a similar cause, viz., a stone falling from the roof. We are happy, however, to learn that the man is recovering. [Falkirk Herald - Thursday 21 February 1856]

15 February 1856

Fatal Accident. - On Friday last, a signal man at No. 2 pit, Gardrum Redding Collieries, named Richard Gibb, met with an accident which resulted in his death. It appears that deceased was descending the pit in a hutch, and when near the bottom the drawer had drawn out the hutch and Gibb's right foot slipped forward under the cage. The bell was rung for the engineer to raise the cage, which he did, and when it was lifted deceased lost his balance, and falling backwards, was severely crushed between the cage and the wall of the shaft. He was taken up in life, but although surgical aid was promptly in attendance, the unfortunate man died in about four hours after the accident took place. [Falkirk Herald 21 February 1856]

9 September 1856

DENNY - Man Killed in a Coal Pit. - A man named Maclean, a miner, descended an ironstone shaft near Denny on Tuesday morning week, to begin work, previous to the usual examination of the pit with the Davy lamp. He carried a common oil lamp with him, and had descended a considerable distance, when an explosion took place which destroyed the apparatus for ventilation. His body was got out in the afternoon. Some of the men, in trying to recover the body, were thrown into such a state that they had to be taken home. [Falkirk Herald 18 September 1856]

17 January 1857

CARRONSHORE. Fatal Accident. - On Friday last a man named Thomas Robertson, a miner, who belonged to Carronshore, was accidentally killed. He was employed at the Cokeroad coal seam, Old Engine pit, belonging to the Carron Company, and while at work a stone fell from the roof and struck him on the back portion of the head, inflicting such injuries that he died in about fifteen minutes afterwards. Deceased, we understand, was warned of his danger previous to the occurrence of the accident, but paid no attention to it. He has left a widow to lament his loss. [Falkirk Herald 22 January 1857]

10 July 1857

Fatal Accident. - On Friday last, between 9 and 10 o'clock in the morning, a man named Robert Hunter, a miner, was killed in No. 5 Pit, Carronhall, by the fall of part of the roof. He was lying on the ground at his work at the time, and the roof fell on his back. Death must have been instantaneous. [Falkirk Herald 16 July 1857]

30 April 1858

BO'NESS - Fatal Accident. - An accident of a melancholy nature, took place at the Snab Pit, near Kinneil ironworks, on the evening of Friday last, whereby a miner, named Edward Gourly, was instantly deprived of life. It appears, that Gourly and a stepson had been working together all day, and on the two coming up the shaft, by some means unknown, the former lost his balance while on the cage, and was precipitated to the bottom from a height of about ten fathoms, and was killed on the spot. Deceased was married, and has left a widow and two children. [Falkirk Herald - Thursday 6 May 1858]

4 December 1858

Fatal Accidents - On Saturday last, a collier, named John Anderson, whilst working in a coalpit near Kilsyth, part of the roof of the pit fell in and killed him on the spot. He has left a widow and family. - On the same afternoon another fatal accident occurred, at Boyd's Burn coal and limestone mine, in Campsie parish. Rails are laid from the entrance at the bottom of the pit to the interior of the mine, and while two waggons were going down the incline, a man, named Hugh Gallacher was crossing the rails, and the waggons passed over him and broke his leg in two places, and injured him severely in the back. He died in about four hours afterwards. He was between 50 and 60 years of age. [Falkirk Herald - Thursday 9 December 1858]

17 January 1859

Shieldhill - Fatal Pit Accident.-On Monday afternoon, a lad, named David Forbes, met with his death at No. 9 pit of Redding Colliery. He and a boy, William Maxwell, had been brought up the hard-coal shaft of the pit in one of the patent cages used there ; but, unfortunately, the cage was carried up past the pit-mouth and thrown out of the slides. It edged over one side, and the boy Forbes fell out and dropped down the shaft, which is 21 fathoms in depth. He must have been killed instantly, but he was not in any way mutilated The other boy, Maxwell, fortunately fell on some boarding betwixt the two shafts, and was rescued at some hazard by James Sitton, a labourer, and a woman. His escape may be deemed almost miraculous. Deceased was 17 years of age past, and lived with his mother, a widow at Easter Shieldhill The engineman, Matthew Bennie, who was taking charge of the No. 9 engine that day, was taken into custody, and examined before the sheriff, but has been discharged on security. Bennie, we understand, is a steady, respectable young man, and is much concerned at the accident. [Falkirk Herald 20 January 1859]

18 January 1859

Accident - On Tuesday, in No. 2 pit, Gardrum, whilst a young man, named George Brown, was at his work, a portion of the roof fell upon him, crushing and bruising him in a severe manner. As soon as assistance could be secured, the unfortunate man was removed from the pit, and taken home to his father's house, where he now lies in a critical state. No blame is attached to any one for the occurrence of this accident. [Falkirk Herald 20 January 1859]

30 November 1859

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - At seven o'clock yesterday morning, a miner, named Alex. Hunter, residing at Greyrigg, parish of Slamanan, met his death in Arnloss coal pit, where he was working, by a large stone falling from the roof upon him. A fellow-workman was engaged about three feet from Hunter, who observed the accident, and took immediate steps for extricating the unfortunate man, but before the stone could be removed he was quite dead. [Falkirk Herald 1 December 1859]

3 March 1860

Man Killed - A married man, a miner, named John Young, was accidentally killed a few days ago at Curriemyre ironstone mine. He was working at the bottom of the mine, which was very steep, when some other workmen required a large log of wood to support a part of the mine. The wood had, with the aid of the engine, been drawn and placed pointing down the mouth of the mine, where it was left until a low wheeled hatch was brought to convey it down the incline. It accidentally rolled down, however, and coming violently against Young, his skull was fractured, and he died in two hours afterwards. [Falkirk Herald 15 March 1860]

29 March 1860

Fatal Coal-pit Accident - At 12 o'clock noon, on Thursday last, a miner, named James Robinson, sixty-five years of age, met his death while at work in the old coal-pit at Binniehill, Slamanan, by a large piece of coal, weighing several hundredweights, falling upon him. A son of deceased had been working along with him, but had left to assist the drawer in pushing up some coal waggons to the bottom of the shaft. When he returned, after only fifteen minutes absence, he called to his father to join him in taking a smoke, but receiving no answer, he examined the spot more closely, and was grieved to find his parent lying buried beneath a large block of coal. The alarm being given, the unfortunate man was speedily extricated, but life was found to be quite extinct. [Falkirk Herald 5 April 1860]

24 May 1860

Fatal Pit Accident. - Between nine and ten o'clock on Tuesday forenoon, a boy, named Richard Thomson, ten years of age, son of Robert Thomson, miner, Redding, met his death in No. 5 Pit, Redding Colliery, by a large piece of coal falling accidentally upon him from the roof, which was five and a half feet high. It appears that the father of the unfortunate youth had went down in the morning with his three sons to work, and while seated at breakfast the father heard a crash about eight yards off, where deceased was sitting, and running promptly to the spot, he discovered his son with a severe wound in the forehead, caused by the fall of the block of coal. Deceased lived only a few minutes after he met with the accident. [Falkirk Herald  24 May 1860]

15 June 1860

Fatal Pit Accident - On Friday afternoon a man, named William Langan, met his death in a very shocking manner at the Anchor Pit, Dunipace, Denny. It would appear that, after a shot is fired in the pit - which is only in course of sinking - a stream of water is sent down for the purpose of causing a draught to carry away the smoke of the powder. It being the duty of the deceased to put on and off this water, he had gone to the pit mouth as usual in order to do either the one or the other, and, in endeavouring to seize a chain which hung over the shaft, he missed his hold and fell to the bottom - a depth of about sixty fathoms. Death was of course instantaneous, and in a short time afterwards his mangled remains were brought to the surface, and conveyed home in a cart. He was married, and has left a widow to mourn his untimely end. [Dunfermline Press - Thursday 21 June 1860]

22 August 1861

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - At four o'clock, yesterday afternoon, a miner, named William M'Kenzie, met with his death in No. 4 pit, Gardrum, the property of Messrs Russell & Co., under the following circumstances, M'Kenzie was engaged working at a facing, when, without indication of danger, a large stone fell upon him. When taken out, life was extinct, and death must have been instantaneous. Deceased has left a widow and a large family. [Falkirk Herald 22 August 1861]

31 October 1861

Fatal Coal-Pit Accident - About six o'clock on Thursday morning last, a roadman, named Gilbert Stewart, met with an accident in No. 2 Gardrum pit, belonging to Messrs. Russell & Co., Redding Colliery, which has since resulted fatally. Deceased had been engaged clearing the road of some stuff that had fallen from the roof during the night, when a large quantity of coals fell from the roof upon his legs, thus driving him forward with violence upon a hutch, which he struck with his breast. Stewart was immediately taken home and medical aid procured. He never rallied, however, and death put a period to his sufferings at two o'clock on the afternoon of the same day. Deceased has left a widow and seven of a family. [Falkirk Herald 7 November 1861]

2 March 1863

Falkirk – Serious Accident - On Friday, a woman called Mary Bain was engaged at No. 9 Pit, Redding colliery, along with another woman, in "trimming" waggons, and while doing so several empty hutches which were standing about six yards off broke loose from their moorings, came against the waggon which was being trimmed, and propelled it along the line. Bain, in consequence lost her balance, and fell in betwixt the waggons, and a plank used in crossing the scree caught her by the throat, injuring her severely. She afterwards got entangled with the brake, and sustained a severe blow on the forehead. No hopes are entertained of her recovery. [Scotsman 3 March 1863]

NB Mary Bain, aged 36 died 2nd March 1863. The death was not registered until 2 April 1864.

13 March 1863

Fatal Accident At Denny - About mid-day on Friday, a miner named David Gillespie, residing at Bridgend, Denny, was killed in No. 2 Drummelzier ironstone pit, belonging to the Messrs Baird of Gartsherrie. He had been engaged "holeing," when an enormous stone got detached from the roof, and suddenly fell upon him, killing him instantaneously. Gillespie, on examination, was discovered to be severe1y smashed about the head, whilst other parts of his body were terribly squeezed. He was fifteen years of age. [Caledonian Mercury 16 March 1863]

Denny - Miner Killed - David Gillespie, a miner residing at Bridgend, Denny, lost his life in No.2 Drummulzier Ironstone Pit, belonging to Messrs. Baird of Gartsherrie, on Friday last, under the following distressing circumstances:- he had been engaged holing, when a large stone got detached from the roof of the mine, and suddenly fell upon him, depriving him almost instantly of life. A man called Thomson, who was working a short distance from Gillespie, heard the stone fall, and at once ran to the spot: but he found it impossible, owing to the immense size of the stone, to do anything for the unfortunate lad. The assistance of a number of men was procured ; but before the stone could be removed it had to be broken into several pieces. Gillespie, on examination, was found to be severely smashed about the head, whilst other parts of his body exhibited shocking evidence of having undergone a frightful squeezing. Deceased was fifteen years of age. [Glasgow Herald 16 March 1863]

13 March 1863

Singular Pit Accident - A somewhat singular accident occurred on the same day, at one of the pits at Dunipace, to a drawer named John Weir, living at Kirkslap. He had been in the act of bringing hutches filled with ironstone out of the workings into the ''cuddie" road, and while attaching one of them to the chain which guides the hutches down the incline to the ''bing," he inserted his "cleek" - a substitute for an arm which he had had shot off at the war in India - into an iron loop in the hutch, for the purpose of steadying it. Unfortunately, however, the hutch broke loose, and Weir was dragged down the whole length of the incline by the "cleek." He was taken home in a cart, and, on being examined, was found to be severely bruised and squeezed on various parts of the body. He is, however, progressing as favourably as can be expected. [Glasgow Herald 16 March 1863]

18 November 1863

Fatal Gunpowder Explosion Near Falkirk - One of the most frightful and alarming accidents which we have had to record in this district for a considerable length of time occurred on Wednesday afternoon at Binniehill Colliery, near Slamannan, The occasion of the catastrophe was a gunpowder explosion, and it has resulted in the death of one, and the serious injury of seven individuals. It would appear that a contractor for brushing, named Mr Daniel Thomson, has been in the habit of keeping his casks of gunpowder in a joiner's workshop. About five o'clock on the afternoon of Wednesday some of the men proceeded to the joiner's shop to get their flasks filled with gunpowder previous to beginning their work. The quantity of easiest access was insufficient for their purpose, and accordingly a new cask, containing twenty-five lbs. of gunpowder, was pierced by one of the party, named Robert Craig, who is the most seriously injured of the surviving sufferers. Having bored a hole in the cask, he took it up under his arm, and proceeded to empty out powder into the flasks of the workmen. He did this without the use of a proper funnel to guide the .powder into the flasks ; and while in the act of filling one which was held by a fellow-workman, named Archibald Thomson, a quantity of the explosive material went over the side of the flask, and fell amongst the shavings on the floor of the workshop. Observing the difficulty experienced by Craig in pouring the gunpowder out of the barrel and into the flask without spilling it, a boy, named John Cuthbert, incautiously approached him with a lamp, in order to give Craig more light, that he might the better accomplish his purpose. A moment thereafter a terrific explosion occurred, which was heard at a great distance from the scene of the accident, and the whole of those assembled were scattered about burned and bruised, and the workshop reduced to a heap of ruins. All who were present were more or less seriously injured, and a young boy, named Alexander Burt, was killed on the spot. The other men and boys were all scattered about more or less hurt, and, considering the expansive power of such a large quantity of gunpowder as 25 lbs., their escape with their lives seems almost miraculous. The following is a list of those who have suffered from the explosion, with an account of the injuries they have sustained- 1st, Alexander Burt, aged eight years, son of A miner named Adam Burt, residing at Binniehill, killed on the spot. 2d, Robert Craig, a brusher, aged twenty-four years, residing with Daniel Thomson, brusher, Slamannan, now lies in a house at Binniehill, in a dangerous state, being dreadfully burned about the face, arms, legs, and back, and also from the lower part of the abdomen up to the neck. 3d, Archibald Thomson, a brusher, aged thirty-five, residing at Newfield, who is now lying in a house at Binniehill, in a very bad state, being seriously burned about the face, head, arms, sides, and back. He is a married man, and has five of a family. 4th, James Hunter, a drawer, aged 16 years, son of Alexander Hunter, a miner, residing at Binniehill. He was taken home to his father's house in a cart, and his case is also regarded as dangerous. He was severely burned about the face, arms, legs, and left side. The three preceding cases are regarded as the worst. 5th, John Cuthbert, a drawer, aged 14 years, son of John Cuthbert, a pit-bottomer, residing at Binniehill, was badly burned about the face and arms. As Cuthbert was the lad who carried the lamp, it is a wonder that he was not even more severely wounded. 6th, Thos. Robertson, a waggon-greaser, aged 9 years, son of Thomas Robertson, a joiner, residing at Crossburn Cottage, was slightly burned about the face and arms. 7th, Thomas M'Cormick, aged 54 years, a drawer, son of John M'Cormick, shoemaker, Newfield Dyke, was slightly burned about the face and arms. 8th, David Ferguson, aged 8 years, residing with his mother, Logan Hunter or Ferguson, a widow, at Binniehill, was slightly cut about the head. Yesterday morning, inquiries were made at Dr King by Police-constable William M'Nab, of Slamannan, as to how his patients were progressing. The doctor replied that Craig, Thomson, and Hunter are still in a dangerous condition, and that he entertains doubts of their recovery. [Caledonian Mercury 21 November 1863]

NB Archibald Thomson died on 22 November and Robert Craig on 26 November 1863

19 November 1863

Denny Singular and Fatal Accident - A singular and fatal accident occurred on Thursday forenoon at Stripeside Ironside Pit, by which a young boy, named Thomas Currie, lost his life. It appears that the unfortunate boy who had left his work at Garth mine only a few minutes previously was standing at the mouth of the pit, when a loaded hutch was being drawn up the shaft. The rope raising it suddenly snapped between the pulleys and the pit head, and in its descent the end struck Currie on the head and killed him on the spot. The hutch, of course, was hurled down the shaft, but fortunately no one was at the bottom. The deceased was between ten and eleven years of age, and was son of a miner. [Scotsman 21 November 1863]

Denny - Singular and Fatal Accident - On Thursday forenoon, a lamentable accident occurred at Stripeside ironstone pit, by which a young boy, named Thomas Currie, was killed. It appears that the unfortunate lad, who had just left his work at Garth mine a few minutes previously, had been standing near the mouth of the pit when a hutch of ironstone was being drawn up the shaft. The rope raising it suddenly and unexpectedly snapped between the pulleys and the pit head, and in its descent the end struck the boy on the head and killed him on the spot. The hutch of ironstone was hurled to the bottom of the shaft, but fortunately no one was there at the time, otherwise the results might have been disastrous. We are informed that the rope gave way at a place where it had been spliced. The deceased was betwixt ten and eleven years of age, and was the son of a miner residing in Herbertshire Street. The matter is being investigated by the authorities. [Glasgow Herald 21 November 1863]

15 December 1863

Falkirk Fatal Accident – On Tuesday a woman, named Margaret Rankin, met with an accident at one of the Carronhall pits, which resulted fatally on the following evening. It appears that the poor woman had been taking a loaded waggon from under the screen, when her foot slipped, and she fell in before the hutch, which passed over her leg and arm. She was dreadfully injured, and died in great agony on the evening named. [Scotsman 18 December 1863]

25 April 1864

Miner Killed - On Monday, a miner named Wm. Marshall was killed in No. 7 Pit, Blackbraes, by a stone falling from the roof upon his head while he was engaged at work. Deceased leaves a family of grown up sons and daughters. [Stirling Observer 28 April 1864]

3 November 1864

Redding - Fatal Accident - On Thursday morning, about six o'clock, melancholy accident took place at No. 12 Pit, Redding Colliery, whereby a brusher named George Hunter, lost his life, and a fellow-workman, named Alexander Frater, was seriously injured. The two men, it seems, were being taken up the shaft by an engineman, Burt, who, putting on too much steam, brought the cage up with such a velocity that it went over the pulley-wheels, and then fell to the ground with poor Hunter and Frater within it. From the violence of the fall, the former was picked up with a frightful wound in the back of his head, from the effects of which he died almost instantaneously. His companion, Frater, although much hurt, was able, with assistance, to walk home, and is, we believe, progressing favourably. Hunter, who was married only ten months ago, has left widow to mourn his loss, and who is soon to become a mother. It is rumoured that Burt, the engineman, was tipsy at the time of the accident; but matters are being strictly investigated by the police authorities. [Stirling Observer 10 November 1864]

10 October 1865

A Miner Killed - David Meek, a miner, aged 18, was killed on Tuesday, in the Drumbrother Pit, near Falkirk. He was working along with two brothers - one of whom gave him warning of the dangerous nature of the "face," but his warning was not heeded, and shortly after it was uttered a ton of stones gave way, and instantaneously killed the brother named. It is stated that the father of the deceased met his death in a similar way. [Dunfermline Saturday Press 14 October 1865]

8 June 1866

Melancholy Death in a Pit - Peter Maxwell, a brusher in the employment of the Redding Colliery was killed in one of their pits near Falkirk Friday night. Maxwell, along with another brusher named James Rennie, was engaged clearing the roads, when a large stone separated itself from the roof of the working, and fell upon him, killing him, it is supposed, instantaneously. Rennie at once ran to the foot of the shaft and gave notice of the occurrence, but the engineer above being absent, an hour elapsed before any assistance could be obtained. Maxwell and Rennie were the sole occupants of the pit at the time the casualty occurred. The stone weighed fully two tons and had to be broken in two before it was possible remove it from off the unfortunate man. The deceased was married, and was 46 years of age. [Stirling Observer 14 June 1866]

23 March 1867

Lamentable Boiler Explosion – Three Boys Scalded to Death - On Saturday last, between the hours of twelve and one in the afternoon, a boiler explosion took place at No. 2 Pit, Grayrigg Colliery, near Blackbraes, which resulted in the death of three boys and the serious injury of a fourth. The pit is wrought by Messrs James Russel & Son, coalmasters. From what we have learned of the melancholy affair, it appears that the time stated above is the dinner hour of the employees, and that there were only a number of lads on the spot when the catastrophe occurred. The engine-keeper, who is named Thomas Heaps, states that he left the pit shortly after twelve o'clock, and went home for the purpose of taking his dinner. At that time, the steam gauge indicated thirty-five lbs; and on his return to the pit in about half-an-hour afterwards, he says the gauge only showed twenty lbs, being a decrease of fifteen lbs. During the time he had been at his dinner, the engine was engaged pumping water from the underground workings; and to this circumstance is attributed the diminution in the pressure. Heaps finding, when he returned from his dinner, that he had left his footrule at home, went back to the house to get it, and on his return he heard a loud noise coming from the direction of the pit. He at once hastened to the spot, when he found that the boiler had exploded, and the engine-house was reduced to ruins. The boiler was completely split up the centre, and both sides of the building in which it was seated were destroyed, the bricks lying in all directions, many of them at a distance of fifty yards. Various other erections in connection with the works have also been damaged, and the pithead in the meantime is in a very ruinous condition. There being nobody on the ground to witness the scene but four little boys, who were amusing themselves near the pit, we cannot enter into the details of the melancholy event; but our readers may imagine it was one of a very fearful character. Had it occurred an hour sooner many wives would have been made widows, and children fatherless, as we understand there are a good number of men employed on the pithead and hill top. As it was the result of the accident was in the highest degree lamentable, three boys being killed and one injured. The scalding water from the boiler reached them a distance it is stated of about thirty yards. The poor little fellows were crying bitterly, and Heaps immediately ran to them and carried them home. The assistance of Dr Girdwood was instantly procured, and that gentleman did everything in his power to alleviate the sufferings of his distressed patients; but, notwithstanding the kind attention which was bestowed on them, one named James Anderson, 10 years of age, son of William Anderson, South Row, Blackbraes, died in about an hour and a half after the accident took place, and other two of the number died on Monday morning in great distress. Their names are John and William Heaps, and are respectively six and eight years; and their father is a miner residing in Blackbraes. Robert Hunter, the other boy who was scalded, still lives, but his case is a very painful one, and little hopes are entertained of his recovery. On Monday, Mr Gair, the procurator fiscal, was engaged investigating into the cause of the disastrous accident, but the result of his inquiries is not yet known. [Falkirk Herald 28 March 1867]

27 March 1867

Slamanan – The Late Accident In No. 1 Lodge Pit -To the Editor of the Falkirk Herald. Sir - In reporting the accidental death of Andrew Rodon, in No. 1 Lodge pit, your informant seems to have misstated the case most completely. The following are a few of the facts : - While deceased was preparing his coals a stone from the roof came away, falling on his head, crushing him to the pavement, in which position he was found by his son, who speedily gave the alarm. A few of his fellow-workmen were soon on the spot and removed the stone, but Rodon was quite dead. He was immediately brought to the surface and conveyed home. Dr Waddell was speedily sent for, who, after examining the body, gave it as his opinion that death had resulted from suffocation. There were no marks on the body with the exception of a scratch or two on the shoulders. By giving insertion to the above, you will oblige - Yours, &c., A Miner. [Falkirk Herald 18 April 1867]

1 April 1867

Fatal Pit Accident - Yesterday week, a lad named William Shaw, belonging to Slamanan, met his death in No. 1 Lodge Pit, Binniehill. He was working just as usual, when, from some cause unknown, part of the roof gave way and fell on him, killing him instantaneously. A man named Joseph Murray, who was working near him, heard a cry from the direction where Shaw was working, and immediately ran to his assistance, but was unable to remove the stone. He raised an alarm, and some other miners came and the stone was removed, but Shaw was quite dead. He was brought to the surface, and Dr Boyd was sent for. On examination, it was found that his neck was broken, and he was otherwise very severely bruised. Deceased was only 18 years of age. [Falkirk Herald 4 April 1867]

23 April 1867

Fatal Pit Accident - James Todd, a miner, twenty-five years of age, residing in Kilsyth, was on Tuesday afternoon killed in No. 3 ironstone pit, Gartshore. The pit had not been in working order for some time past, and the "cage" was fixed in the pit shank, about eighteen fathoms from the bottom. The deceased, accompanied by another young man, descended the shank and got into the cage, "with the view of relieving it, but in course of a few minutes the cage and both men fell to the bottom of the shank, when it was found that Todd was killed, and his companion, William Hawson, dangerously injured. [Dunfermline Saturday Press 27 April 1867]

17 June 1867

Miner Killed - A miner, named John Dunn, was accidentally killed on Monday morning last, in the Anchor ironstone pit, Dunipace, by a rail from the roof of the workings where he was employed. He was 51 years of age, and had only come to the district about three weeks ago. [Dunfermline Saturday Press 22 June 1867]

3 July 1867

Fatal Pit Accident. - Yesterday morning a miner, named Alexander Frazer, met with an accident in one of the Redding coal pits which afterward proved fatal. It appears that a piece of coal had fallen on him from the roof while he was working. He was immediately extricated, but he only lived for about ten minutes. [Falkirk Herald 4 July 1867]

30 November 1867

Fatal Accident. - About midnight on Saturday last, a miner, named John Baird, met a very melancholy death by falling down No. 3 Pit Balquhatston. He had been ascending the shaft the cage, and when at the pithead, he jumped out. In doing so, his head struck the cross-bar, and he was knocked right back, and fell to the bottom the abyss. On the body being brought to the surface, life was quite extinct. [Falkirk Herald 5 December 1867]

8 February 1868

Lamentable Pit Accident – A lamentable accident occurred on Saturday morning to a miner, named William Bennie, at Standrig Colliery, near Falkirk, belonging to Mr Wilson of Bantaskine. The descent to the underground workings by the miners is made by a series of stairs cut out in the rock in close proximity to the main shaft. On the morning referred to, Bennie went to his work about 3 o'clock, and while making his way down the stairs, he lost his footing, and, falling through an opening in the shaft, was precipitated to the bottom, a distance from the point where the occurrence happened of about 20 fathoms. Some of his fellow workers who were following behind hear Bennie cry “Oh dear,” and immediately after a thud at the bottom of the shaft. They at once suspected that something was wrong, and on reaching the pit bottom they discovered Bennie in an insensible state. He was speedily conveyed home, and on the services of Dr Hamilton, of Falkirk, being obtained, it was discovered that both of the thigh bones of the unfortunate man were broken, in addition to severe injuries about the head. He lingered in great agony until Sunday morning, when death terminated his suffering. Deceased was married, and leaves a widow, but no family. [Herald February 11 1868]

10 February 1868

Serious Accident At Bannockburn Colliery - On Saturday evening, at half-past eleven o'clock, Alexander Stevenson, assistant-engineer at Bannockburn Colliery, went down the shaft to ascertain the depth of water accumulated, the engines being kept constantly going at the time in pumping out the water. He remained a long time, and his companion, becoming alarmed, went down the steps of the air shaft to ascertain the cause of his delay, when he found Stevenson caught between the fly-wheel of the engine and wall of the shaft, Stevenson was quite insensible when brought up, and unable to give any explanation as to how he came by the accident. His head and spine are seriously injured. [Scotsman 11 February 1868]

21 April 1868

Falkirk Fatal Pit Accident - On Tuesday evening, an accident took place at one of the pits belonging to the Grangemouth Coal Company, by which a miner was killed and another seriously injured. When the general body of the underground workers had finished their days labour, three men descended the pit for the purpose of levelling the roads, and while doing so, a mass of rock weighing upwards of a ton fell from the roof of the place where they were employed. One of the men, named William Chambers, was killed on the spot, and another named Dugald M'Farlane, while attempting to escape, was caught by the rock and, seriously injured on the back. Chambers was thirty-six years of age, and leaves a widow and six children. [Scotsman 23 April 1868]

28 October 1868

Fatal Result of an Accident – James M'Ewan, a miner, who was injured last week in one of the pits belonging to the Binniehill Colliery Company, died on Friday night from the effects of the injuries he sustained. He was 22 years of age. [Edinburgh Evening Courant 2 November 1868]

30 October 1868

Falkirk – Melancholy Pit Accident – A very lamentable accident happened on Friday last at Blackbraes, at one of the pits belonging to the colliery company there. Two men, while descending the pit in a cage, had scarcely left the pit bank when the rope which was letting down the cage snapped, and the men were hurled to the bottom of the shaft, a distance of 50 fathoms. The death was instantaneous, their bodies presenting a frightfully mangled appearance. The names of the unfortunate men are James Chalmers, a roadsman aged 33; and John Francis Sneddon, a miner aged 30. Chalmers leaves a wife and 7 children; Sneddon was unmarried. The rope was said to be in good order at the time of the accident, and no cause can be given for its breaking. [Edinburgh Evening Courant 2 November 1868]

15 September 1869

Kilsyth - Fatal Pit Accident - An alarming and fatal accident took place yesterday at Neilston Colliery belonging to Messrs James Wallace & Co. It appears that three men, Alexander Fisher, Robert Cudy, and Robert Boyd, had been working together. About ten o'clock they were endeavouring to put the roof in order, when a part of it came down. Fisher was killed almost instantaneously, being buried beneath the stone. Cudy was very severely bruised but hopes are entertained of his recovery, Fortunately Boyd left the place a few minutes before the stone full. Fisher leaves a wife and a large family. We understand that no blame is attached to anyone. [Glasgow Herald 16 September 1869]

13 August 1870

Denny - Fatal Pit Accident - On Saturday a miner named James Currins, residing in Dunipace parish, and employed in the Anchor Ironstone Pit, was accidentally killed by a large mass of stone falling on him while he was at his work. The stone weighed several tons, and nearly two hours elapsed before the body was got out. The deceased was about forty-five years of age, and leaves a wife and eight children. [Falkirk Herald 20 August 1870]

24 October 1870

Colliery Accident - On Monday forenoon, as William Baxter, a miner belonging to Shield hill, was engaged at work in Pit No. 16 of the Redding Colliery, a mass of stone got disengaged from the roof of the seam, and falling, crushed the unfortunate man so badly that death almost immediately ensued. Deceased was 19 years of age and unmarried. [Falkirk Herald 27 October 1870]

15 November 1870

Fatal Accident - On Tuesday a sad accident occurred at Coneypark Colliery in this district. A lad named James Marshall, belonging to Haggs, was engaged leading the horse which draws the waggons from the pit to the wharf at the Canal when he tripped and fell, and was crushed to death by the wheels of the foremost waggon. [Falkirk Herald 17 November 1870]