Stirlingshire Accidents post-1915

This section contains newspaper reports on selected accidents in Stirlingshire from 1915 onwards. Please check the indexes in the Accidents Section for reports by the Inspector of Mines and accidents in other areas.

25 January 1915

Miner Killed Near Falkirk - An accident, attended by fatal consequences, occurred yesterday morning at Burleyside colliery, near Falkirk, worked by the Callendar Coal Company. While a miner named James Walker was at work in the colliery a fall of stone from the roof occurred, with the result that he was crushed to the ground and sustained injuries which caused his death instantaneously. Walker was 22 years of age, and resided at Wester Shieldhill, near Falkirk. [Scotsman 26 January 1915]

16 February 1915

ACCIDENT AT CARRONHALL COLLIERY. The same jury investigated the death of Primrose Laird, miner, Carronhall Row, Symington Road, Carron, which was alleged to have been caused by a stone falling on his toes whilst employed on 18th November, 1912, in William Pit, Carronhall Colliery, occupied by Carron Company. Mr Thos. Gibson, W.S., appeared for the deceased’s relatives, and T. L. Scott, solicitor, for the employers. The evidence showed that on the 18th November, 1912, about breakfast-time, as deceased was lifting what he afterwards described as a small stone it fell on his toe. He finished his shift that day, but worked very little. It was evident that he was suffering from the effects of the accident, as some of the men in the mine saw him staggering about, and he had to be helped to the surface, and was subsequently conveyed home in a motor car by Dr Ronald, who “picked him up on the road. Deceased made light of the injury, and declined to have it examined or dressed by an oversman. When he arrived home he informed his daughter, Jeanie Laird, of the accident, and few days later he complained of a pain in his back. Dr Cribbes subsequently attended him, told him to bathe his foot, and examined his back, which he did not say much about. Later on, deceased was attended by Dr Wright. In the following February he made an attempt to go to work one snowy morning, but he was noticed unwell, and was advised to return home. From February he was an invalid, and on February 16th this year he died. Dr W. F. Wright, Carronshore, gave evidence to the effect that he found deceased suffering from a form of paralysis, but he would not attribute his condition to a stone falling upon his toe. The form of paralysis from which deceased suffered was a trouble which resulted from an accident, and if it did not no one could know what caused it. The paralysis in deceased's case was not due the injury to the foot, which he understood was healed in three weeks. The jury returned a formal verdict. [Falkirk Herald 17 July 1915]

2 March 1915

Two Stirling Pitworkers Killed – An accident resulting in the deaths of two men occurred late on Tuesday night at Millhall Colliery, near Stirling, belonging to Messrs Archibald Russell Ltd. The accident took place at the Wallsend seam in No 2 pit shortly before midnight when a large fall took place from the roof, and two men were killed instantaneously – John Martin, 24 shot firer, 48 Broad Street, Stirling, and John Malloy, 40, brusher, Raploch, Stirling. Martin was unmarried, while Malloy leaves a wife and family. [Scotsman 4 March 1915]

10 March 1915

MAN KILLED AT KILSYTH. About midday a fatal accident took place at the Colliery lye, beside Bavell Station, near Kilsyth. James Whigham, a young married man, who resided at Townhead Street, Kilsyth, and was employed by Messrs Wm. Baird & Company. Ltd., as a pug hunter, was following out his duties when he fell on the railway. Some 13 waggons passed over his body, which was practically cut in two. Whigham died in a short time. [Edinburgh Evening News 10 March 1915]

8 April 1915

MINER KILLED AT FALKIRK PIT. - As a result of an accident which occurred at No. 5 Pit, Redding Colliery, near Falkirk, Thomas Scobbie, rope runner, was killed. It appears that the deceased was attending to a rake of hutches, and he was found crushed beneath the first of them. He was 25 years of age, and is survived by widow and one child. [Dundee Courier 9 April 1915]

19 April 1915

Man Electrocuted at Denny - John Stirling employed at the coal cutting machine, Dennyloanhead Pit, Banknock Coal Company, was found dead yesterday morning, having been electrocuted through coming in contact with the electric cable. He resided at Haggs, was about forty years of age, and leaves a widow and family. [Scotsman 20 April 1915]

23 June 1915

PIT FATALITY NEAR FALKIRK - Falkirk police reported a pit fatality at Callendar Brickworks, Glen village, near Falkirk, which occurred on Wednesday. While men were at work there was a heavy fall from the roof, and two workers were entombed, namely, James Fleming and Walter Wilson. The cries of the men attracted other workers, and when the miners were extricated from the debris Fleming was found to be dead. He was a young man, and resided with his parents at Mary Street, Laurieston, near Falkirk. Wilson was removed to Falkirk Infirmary, where he was found to be suffering from dislocation of the thigh and internal injuries. [Dundee Courier 25 June 1915]

Walter Wilson, age 61 died 3 July 1915 in Falkirk Infirmary

8 November 1915

Scottish Miner Evangelist - Peter Stewart, a well-known miner evangelist throughout Central Scotland, was killed at his work in Fallin Colliery, near Stirling, last night. A stone weighing 30 cwts fell upon him from the roof, and death was instantaneous. The deceased, along with his two brothers, took a great interest in religious work, both in singing at and addressing outdoor and indoor meetings, and were known as the Stewart Brothers. Deceased resided at St Ninians, and was 36 years of age. [Edinburgh Evening News 9 November 1915]

7 December 1915

Slamannan – Fatal Accident – While the miners of the Klondyke Pit, belonging to the Carron Company, were coming off their shift on Tuesday evening last, a very serious accident befel one of their number. On leaving the pithead they have to come down a stair to get to the road. Several of them were coming down together, when one of their number jumped on the railing and slid to the bottom. He then made a dash to cross the rails, but failed to notice that the engine was shunting at the time. The unfortunate lad was knocked down and run over. One of his legs was completely severed and the other was only hanging by a bit of string. The ambulance men at the pit were in immediate attendance, and carried him into the engine room, and rendered first aid. Dr Young was there as soon as possible, and ordered his removal to Falkirk Hospital, but he died there early the same night. The young man's name is Daniel Kerr. He was 17 years of age, and a son of Robert Kerr, Mosscastle Road. The accident cast a gloom on the whole of the workers belonging to the pit, and much sympathy is felt for the father, as deceased was such a bright and promising lad. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 11 December 1915]

10 December 1915

FATAL RESULT OF GELATINE EXPLOSION. - Robert Laird, who was frightfully injured in Broomridge Pit, Dennyloanhead, on Monday, died this morning in Denny Cottage Hospital. By an explosion of gelatine he lost his right arm, a finger of his left hand, and received terrible injuries to his face. Laird was 39 years of age, married, and resided at Parkfoot Cottage. [Edinburgh Evening News 10 December 1915]

13 January 1916

Fatal Pit Accident Near Falkirk - Alexander Brown, employed by the Carron Company as a haulage bogie-man, and who met with an accident in No. 1 Guardrum pit, Blackbraes, has died from his injuries in Falkirk Infirmary. It is not known how the accident occurred. Brown was found lying in the pit, and it is supposed that he had sustained injuries to his spine, and that he suffered from general paralysis on both sides of the body. He was 20 years of age and resided with his mother at Shieldhill near Falkirk. [Scotsman 13 January 1916]

9 July 1916

FATAL SEQUEL TO BANNOCKBURN PIT ACCIDENT. James Fotheringham (18), bencher, Millar Place, Cowie, who was severely burned by an ignition of gas in No. 2 Pit, Bannockburn Colliery, on Sunday, has died in Stirling Royal Infirmary as the result of his injuries. [Dundee Courier 12 July 1916]

BANNOCKBURN PIT-WORKER FATALLY BURNED. John Hotchkiss (44), pit-brusher, who was burned by gas in Bannockburn Colliery, has died in Stirling Royal Infirmary. The other man who was injured, James Fotheringham, succumbed on the night of the accident. [Dundee Courier 19 July 1916]

NB John Hotchkiss died 16 July 1916

9 August 1916

Denny Miner Killed – Yesterday morning, Samuel Baird, employed in the Woodyet Pit, Herbertshire Collieries (Robert Addie & Sons) was killed by a fall of stone. He was 50 years of age, and leaves a widow and family [Scotsman 10 August 1916]

19 August 1916

Fatal accident at Polmaise Colliery - On Saturday forenoon, James Scobie (67), pithead worker, residing at Weaver Row, Stirling, was found lying on the ground beside an engine-house at No. 1 and 2 Pits, Polmaise colliery, near Stirling. He was found to be suffering from a dislocated shoulder and shock, and he was removed to Stirling Royal Infirmary, where he died shortly after admission. It is surmised that Scobie had received his injuries by falling from a scaffolding. [Scotsman 21 August 1916]

7 December 1916

A Sheriff On Fatal Accident Inquiries – Difference With Mines Inspector - Sheriff-Substitute Dean Leslie and a jury held inquiries at Stirling yesterday into three fatal accidents, two of which had reference to accidents in mines, and the other to part of an outhouse falling upon a man who was preparing to demolish it. During the hearing of the first of the colliery cases, Mr Masterton, H.M. Inspector of Mines, put a question as to the filling up of a cavity in the roof of a working which had collapsed. The Sheriff said such questions were .unnecessary, and were merely delaying the jury; the stone fell on the man, and that was all that was wanted. The whole thing was a farce; all that they could find was that the man was dead. Before the next case was opened, Mr Masterton said there was something more to be considered than the question of a stone falling on a man, or a man being drowned by an-inrush of water; there was the question of negligence and it was in connection with that that he appeared there. The Sheriff - You know that the jury never has full information , and are not qualified to deal with technical questions. Mr Masterton -I must say I have never been treated anywhere in ten years as I have been in this Court. The case considered the death of James M'Intyre Steel, coal-cutting machineman, 33 Anderson Terrace, Longcroft, who was drowned by an inrush of water in the Livingstone Pit, Banknock. The evidence showed that the roads were being driven forward towards an old working when the machine cut into the dook and there was a burst of water, which overwhelmed Steel, and caused the other men to run for their lives. The accident, it was stated, was due to the plans being incorrect, the officials having calculated that there was still 50 feet of coal between the cutting machine and the old working. The roads being driven were 28 feel out of alignment for the old workings. In all three cases the jury returned formal verdicts. [Scotsman 22 December 1916]

Note - James Steele, age 32, died 7 December 1916 of drowning.

25 January 1919

Alexander Gray (34), miner, Kirkburn, was fatally injured by a fall of stone from the roof at Easter Jaw Colliery, Slamannan. [Scotsman 28 January 1919]

21 March 1919

Falkirk Pit Flood – Miners In Peril - About midnight on, Thursday, Letham Colliery, about six miles from Falkirk, became flooded, happily without loss of life. During coal-cutting operations in one of the sections the "face" burst open, and a great volume of water rushed into the workings. More than 70 men were engaged in the pit at the time, and the alarm was given. At the pit bottom it was found that four men were missing. Fearing that they had failed to hear the warning, a miner named James Wightman waded through the water, which was breast-high, and returned with the missing men, carrying one, who showed signs of collapse. Yesterday, it was reported that the bottom was flooded , and that the water was rising in the shaft. The colliery, which belongs to Carron Company, employed 170 men, and had a daily output of 400 tons. It is stated that some months will elapse before the damage can be repaired. [Scotsman 22 March 1919]

5 May 1919

Kilsyth Colliery Accident – Two Miners Killed - The worst colliery accident which has occurred in Kilsyth district for a considerable number of years took place at Messrs William Baird & Co.'s Haugh No. 1 Pit, Kilsyth, resulting in the death of two miners and injury to a third. William Abercrombie, sen. and William Abercrombie jun., father and son, had entered the upper deck of the cage at the pit bottom along with David Roberts, a miner, recently demobilised from the Army. While they waited to be taken to the surface, a big stone crashed through the roof of the cage, struck the father and son, and killed them instantly. Roberts was also injured on the head and was taken to the hospital. The stone had become loosened from the side of the pit shaft and fell a distance of fully 120 fathoms before it struck the men. Abercrombie sen., was 48 years of age, and his son 25. [Scotsman 7 May 1919]

6 June 1919

Fatal Mine Accident at Stirling – While at work yesterday morning in the shaft of No 2 Pit, Polmaise Colliery, Millhall, Stirling, John Walker was struck by something which fell down the shaft. He fell to the bottom, and was killed instantaneously. [Scotsman 7 June 1919]

20 July 1919

£300 Compensation for Workman's Death - Sheriff Moffatt has given judgment in an action under the Workmen's Compensation Act at the instance of Mrs Margaret Forsyth Penman or Duncan, Meadowview, Carronshore, near Falkirk, on behalf of herself and children, against Carron Company for compensation in respect of the death of her husband, who was killed when in defenders employment in July 1919. The defence was that deceased met his death through riding on a loaded hutch on the haulage road in contravention of the Coal Mines Act, and maintained accordingly that the accident did not arise out of or in the course of deceased's employment with them but was due to a risk which he had added thereto. Sheriff Moffatt finds that deceased met his death in an accident arising out of and in the course of his employment, and that pursuers as dependants of the deceased are entitled to an award of £300 as compensation. [Scotsman 3 April 1920]

NB Alexander Duncan, underground fireman age 42, died of injury to head in William Pit, Carronhall Colliery.

1 August 1919

Fatal Accident at Denny – James Beattie, a labourer employed at Banknock Pits, has died in Denny Cottage Hospital from being run down and crushed by a railway waggon. Beattie was 68 years of age, and resided in Street Vale, Banknock. He was the father of Eddy Beattie, the well known boxer. [Scotsman 4 August 1919]

11 March 1920

Explosion in Stirling Pit - Yesterday afternoon an explosion of gas occurred in No. 1 slope dook in the main coal seam of No. 1 Pit, Polmaise Colliery, Stirling, occupied by Messrs Archibald Russell (Limited), whereby the following men were severely burned about the face, hands, and arms, viz,:- John M'Laughlan (51), miner, 9 Glencoe Road, Stirling; John M'Cann (35), miner, 27 Upper Castlehill, Stirling; and John Cowan (25), 48 Baker Street, Stirling. The men were removed to Stirling Royal Infirmary. They were on their way to the pit bottom, at the close of their shift, when the explosion occurred. [Scotsman 12 March 1920]

9 July 1920

Matthew Kilday, miner, Cambuskenneth, has died in Stirling Royal Infirmary as the result of having his spine fractured by a fall of stone in Manor Powis Colliery. Deceased, who was 21 years of age belonged to Kilsyth district, and was regarded as one of the most promising lightweight boxers. [Dundee Courier 13 July 1920]

28 September 1920

Burning Fatality At Kilsyth - Donald Macdonald (24) underground colliery roadsman, Kilsyth, has succumbed to injuries received in Dumbreck Colliery, Kilsyth. He had gone into new workings to secure a pick and shovel when his naked light came into contact with an accumulation of gas and caused an explosion, and he was burned all over. [Dunfermline Journal 10 October 1920]

15 November 1920

Fatal accident at Stirling - John M'Gibbon (61), residing at Craigmill, Stirling, has met his death in the course of his employment at Manor Powis colliery. He was an attendant at the briquette conveyor, and after putting the bolt on the slack pulley and stopping the machinery, he entered the conveyor in order to clean it. While thus engaged the machinery, from some cause, was set in motion, and M'Gibbon was drawn into the iron box and seriously injured. He was taken to Stirling Royal Infirmary, where he died. [Scotsman 17 November 1920]

7 December 1920

St Ninian's Fatality - James Paterson, miner, Glasgow Road, St Ninians, Stirling, was killed on Tuesday night in Carnock Colliery, near Bannockburn. While he was employed at the coal face a stone weighing 15 cwt fell from the roof, smashing his head and causing instantaneous death. He was 28 years of age and leaves a widow and family. [Dunfermline Journal 11 December 1920]

16 January 1922

Miner Killed In Stirlingshire Pit - Whilst a miner named James Sneddon, who resided at Blackbraes Square Blackbraes, near Falkirk, ; was engaged at work in No. 6 Pit, Crosscroes colliery, Muiravonside, a portion of the roof came away without warning, crushing him to the ground. No time was lost in extricating him from the debris, but when this had been accomplished it was found that Sneddon had been instantaneously killed. [Scotsman 18 January 1922]

19 January 1922

John Moore (15) pithead worker, Fallin, was yesterday caught by a revolving shaft in connection with the washing plant at the pithead, and killed [Glasgow Herald 20 Jan 1922]

17 July 1922

Fatal Accident in a Stirlingshire Colliery - While working at a coal-cutting machine in the Fallin colliery, yesterday afternoon, Patrick Marren, Bow Street, Stirling, met with an accident which proved fatal. He was removed to the Stirling Royal Infirmary suffering from severe injuries to the body and both legs, but died a few hours after being admitted.[Scotsman 18 July 1922]

2 November 1922

Fatal Result of Denny Pit Accident. - The death took place in Denny and Dunipace Cottage Hospital yesterday of James M'Intosh, a pithead worker, who was admitted to the hospital last Saturday , suffering from injuries received while at work. M'Intosh, who is a son of George M'Intosh, 62 Broad Street, Denny, was employed at Woodyet Pit, Denny (Messrs R. Addie & Son.) The accident occurred when engaged removing wood at the pithead. [Scotsman 3 November 1922]

10 November 1922

Fatal Accident In A Falkirk Pit - As a result of injuries sustained in an accident at Craigend Colliery, near Falkirk, a miner, named John Tulloch, residing at Lochhead Loan, Maddiston, died in Falkirk and District Infirmary yesterday. He was at work when a large piece of coal fell from the roof, struck his shoulder, and caused him to lunge suddenly forward. In falling he came against the point of his pick, which entered his abdomen, causing internal injuries. [Scotsman 11 November 1922]

14 November 1922

Miner Killed at Denny - A young man aged 21 years named Alexander Logie, miner's drawer, was instantaneously killed in Strepesioe Pit, Denny, by a fall of stone. [Scotsman 16 November 1922]

12 February 1923

Miner Killed In Stirling Pit - No 3 pit, Polmaise Colliery, Fallin, near Stirling, was the scene early yesterday morning of an accident involving the death of one man and the serious injury of another through the fall of a large portion of the roof of one of the roads. The man who lost his life was Thomas M'Ewan, 40, miner, 26 Abbey Road, Stirling, and the injured man Francis Church, 47, miner, 27 King Street, Stirling. [Scotsman 13 February 1923]

14 February 1923

Pit Accident at Falkirk - Frank Richardson (20), a miner's drawer, who resides at Carronshore, was seriously injured yesterday in Carron Company's No. 1 Pit, Letham Colliery, near Falkirk. Richardson was drawing a loaded hutch along a road when a stone weighing 1 1/2 cwt. fell from the roof on to his head, pinning him to the pavement. He was removed to Falkirk District Infirmary. [Scotsman 10 February 1923]

Fatal Result of Pit Accident - A miner's drawer, Frank Richardson (20), residing at Carronshore, succumbed in Falkirk District Infirmary yesterday to injuries sustained last Friday in No. 1 Pit, Letham Colliery near Falkirk. Richardson was drawing loaded hutch along a road when a stone weighing 1 1/2 cwt. fell from the roof on to his head, pinning him to the ground. [Scotsman 15 February 1923]

8 May 1923

Colliery Fireman's Death Near Stirling - Yesterday morning the body of Robert Orr (38), mine fireman, residing at 4 Brucefield Terrace, St Ninians, Stirling, was found in No. 3 pit, Polmaise Colliery, near Stirling. It is reported that he went out to make an inspection of the pit, and on failing to return a search party was sent to look for him. He was dead when found. [Scotsman 9 May 1923]

20 June 1923

Fatal Pithead Accident near Stirling - William Baxter Black (19), a pithead worker employed at Manor Powis colliery, near Stirling, was caught in the machinery while oiling the driving shaft, and was whirled round for some time before the occurrence was noticed. He was badly injured about the legs and head and died on his way to the Royal Infirmary. Black resided at 20 Bow Street, Stirling. [Scotsman 22 June 1923]

16 November 1923

Fatal Accident in a Kilsyth Pit - William Adam Green, miners' drawer, Backbrae Street, Kilsyth, was killed in the Haugh colliery, Kilsyth. Along with a cousin, he had taken an empty hutch up the slope to the coal face, w here another party propped it to keep it stationary. Green and his cousin returned to the level to see if they could get another empty hutch, but none being available, the cousin returned to the face and commenced filling the hutch with coal. When it was about half-filled the prop unaccountably gave way and the hutch rushed down the slope. Green had been coming up at the time, but turned and ran for safety. He was later found lying dead, jammed below the hutch. He was 18 years of age. [Scotsman 19 November 1923]

16 January 1924

Denny Pit-Worker Fatally Injured - Struck by a runaway hutch in No. 2 Pit, Herbertshire colliery, Denny, on Tuesday, Michael O'Boyle, miners' drawer, residing in Stirling Street, Denny, sustained severe internal injuries. He died in Denny and Dunipace Cottage Hospital yesterday morning. [Scotsman 17 January 1924]

18 April 1924

Boy Killed at Refuse Bing - Thomas Steel (10), son of a miner residing at Fallin, near Stirling, was killed while gathering coals from the refuse bing at Bandeath colliery. He had lain down in front of a bogey in order to get at a piece of coal when the bogey, which was electrically controlled , moved forward and went over him. [Scotsman 21 April 1924]

30 April 1924

Colliery Machineman Killed at Slamannan - Whilst Robert M'Allister (25), a colliery machineman residing at Blinkbonny, Slamannan, was employed in placing an electric coal-cutting machine in position in the mill coal section of No. 3 Pit, Jawcraig colliery, Slamannan, he met with an accident which terminated fatally. It appears that in some way M'Allister was caught by the mechanical picks and sustained injuries from which he died almost immediately. He leaves a widow and one child. [Scotsman 2 May 1924]

17 May 1924

Cambusbarron Miner Killed – While working in No 3 pit, Polmaise Colliery, Fallin, Bannockburn, on Saturday, Evan Perry, 27, residing at Cambusbarron, near Stirling, was pinned beneath a fall from the roof, sustaining injuries from which he died shortly afterwards. [Scotsman 19 May 1924]

NB Name actually David Andrew Perry

10 October 1924

A fall from the roof in Manor-Powis colliery, near Stirling, last night, resulted in the death of Joseph Hodson, miner, Wellgreen, Stirling. He was buried in the fall, and on being extricated he was found to be dead. [Scotsman 11 October 1924]

26 January 1925

Fatal Accident in Bannockburn Mine - An accident occurred in No. 4 Pit, Bannockburn Colliery, near Stirling, yesterday morning, resulting in the death of John Angus (62), pitworker Craigford, Bannockburn. Angus and several other men were riding on hutches in the Home Dook section, when the leading hutch ran against an obstruction and threw deceased and John Findlay (64), pitworker, Main Street, East Plean, out on to the road. Angus was pinned against the side of the road, and died in a few minutes, while Findlay also received injuries, and-was attended to at his home. [The Scotsman 27 January 1925]

Riding on Hutches – Miners Fined – The sequel to an accident which occurred at Plean Colliery on Monday 26th January, as a result of which one man was killed and another injured, was heard at Stirling, Sheriff Court yesterday. A number of men were riding on hutches in the pit, when the leading hutch encountered an obstacle, and some of them were thrown off. John Angus (62), Craigforth, Bannockburn, was killed, and John Finlay (64), Main Street, East Plean, was injured. Riding on hutches in pits is a contravention of the mining regulations and nine men appeared at the Court charged with the offence, including Finlay, who came into the Court on crutches. Accused all pleaded guilty. The Sheriff, remarking that the miners must be protected against themselves, imposed a fine of £4 on each of the accused, with the alternative of 14 days imprisonment. He remitted the sentence, however, in the case of Finlay, remarking that he had already suffered sufficient punishment. [The Scotsman 13 February 1925]

2 October 1925

Polmaise Pit Fatality - A fatal accident occurred yesterday morning in No. 3 Pit, Polmaise Colliery, near Stirling, the victim being William Johnstone (31) brusher, Whins of Milton. Johnstone had not been long at work when there was a fall of two tons from the roof. He was pinned under the debris, and when extricated was found to be dead. [The Scotsman 3 October 1925]

13 December 1925

Redding Pit Fatality – Father's Story of Son's Death - Before Sheriff Robertson and a mixed jury, at Falkirk yesterday, an inquiry took place, under the Fatal Accidents Inquiry (Scotland) Act, into the death of Thomas Morgan Mackie, an assistant coal-cutting machineman, who resided at Lawyett, Wallacestone, Polmont. The chief witness at the inquiry was James Mackie, the father of the dead man. He said he had charge of a coal-cutting machine in No. 23 pit Redding Colliery, and his son was an assistant to him. They started work together on the evening of Sunday, December 13. His son was in front of the machine attending to the bridle and witness was putting in picks. He had put in four picks and desired to put in other four. In order to do this it was necessary to turn the wheel 18 inches, and with this object in view he turned over the power switch to the first stop of the control. To use a mining term it was a case of jagging on the power for a second. When he turned the switch the machine jumped right round and jammed his hand against the wall, so that he could not turn off the power. The revolving machinery caught his son, who was on his knees at the time, and tore his legs off. The mine manager, in his evidence stated that the wheel must have got caught somehow or other, and was thus prevented from going round properly. Another witness stated that it was necessary to see that the machine was clear of the coal face before putting the picks in. The medical evidence was to the effect that the lad's left leg was torn off at the hip joint and the right leg just above the knee; He was admitted to Falkirk and District Infirmary; and died several hours later. A formal verdict was returned. [Scotsman 19 January 1926]

7 and 26 February 1926

Shot Firing In Mines – East Stirlingshire Fatalities - The circumstances attending two fatal pit accidents were inquired into by Sheriff Robertson and a mixed jury at Falkirk Sheriff Court yesterday. Wm. Bryce, miner, Shieldhill, was so severely injured in Callendar Policy Mine, Falkirk, on February 7, by a shot charged with gelignite unexpectedly exploding, that he died in Falkirk and District Infirmary on the following day. The evidence was to the effect that Bryce and another miner, named James Phillip Yeats, residing in Griffith Street, Falkirk, were engaged lighting the fuse of two shots. The fuse lighted by Yeats caught all right, but Bryce said his string was "not going to go'' and they were of the impression that it had not caught. They retired to a place of safety, and there was an explosion in 75 seconds. Still under the impression that the second fuse had not caught, they returned, and were examining what the explosion had done when there was a second explosion, and both men were seriously injured. The under manager of the pit said that in the case of a misfire the regulations laid it down that the men had to remain in a place of safely for an hour. This was not a case of misfiring, as the men were under the impression that the fuse had not caught. In his opinion, as a practical man, the men ought to have regarded the non-lighting of the fuse as a case of misfiring. It was not safe to have done other wise. The Sheriff said that in this case the fuse was alight. His interpretation of the regulation was that if a light had been applied to a fuse, and whether the fuse had caught or not, if the man who applied the light had retired to a place of safety, then he ought not to go back until the lapse of the period enjoined by the regulations. The jury returned a formal verdict.

A similar verdict was given regarding the death of William Hunter, brusher, Church Road, California, who was instantaneously killed on 26th February by a twenty-ton fall from the roof of a roadway in No. 3 Pit, Craigend Colliery, Maddiston, belonging to Carron Co. [Scotsman 30 March 1926]

26 February 1926

Fallin Pit Fatality. - While Charles Cameron Robb (35), miner's brusher, High Street, Airth, was engaged in his usual occupation at Polmaise Colliery, Fallin, near Stirling, a large stone, weighing about 13 cwts, fell from the wall and crushed him. He was seriously injured about the head, and was removed to Stirling Royal Infirmary , where he died yesterday morning. [Scotsman 27 February 1926]

30 April 1926

Pit Fatality – Shot Firer Fined – Trial At Stirling – The trial look place in Stirling Sheriff Court, yesterday, of William Hickie, shot-firer, Cambuskenneth Abbey, on a charge of contravention of the Coal Mines Act, 1911. The charge was that on 30th April, in No. 2 pit, Polmaise Colliery he, being a person authorised to fire shots, did (1) fire a shot in the coal face, and did fail to see that all persons in the vicinity of said shot had proper shelter, and did fail to take steps to prevent any person approaching said shot; (2) did fire two shots electrically in the coal face, and did himself fail to couple up the cable to the detonator wires; and (3) did fire electrically the first shot mentioned in the first charge without coupling up the cable to the detonator wires and did fail to immediately examine before the shot was fired, with a locked flame safety lamp, the place where the said shot was to be fired, and all accessible places within a radius of 20 yards from the said place, and find them clear of inflammable gas. and in all respects safe for firing. The trial was the sequel to the firing of a shot which caused the death of one miner and injury to another. Accused pleaded not guilty, and was defended by Mr George J. Sheriff, solicitor, Dunfermline . Mr Cassells, solicitor, Falkirk, watched the proceedings on behalf of the relatives of the deceased. Mr J. R. Archibald, Procurator-Fiscal, conducted the prosecution. Robert Muir (60), colliery manager, Millhall, gave evidence as to the working of the pit and the manner in which shots were fired. Accused had been in the employment of the Company for some years, and was a competent shot-firer. He knew what warnings and signals were required in the firing of shots. Witness could give no explanation of the accident. George Smith (36) , miner, Smarts Close, Bannockburn, deponed that on 30th April he was working along with his nephew, Philip Smith (deceased), in No 2 pit. Polmaise. It was the last shift prior to the commencement of the mining dispute. Prior to the shot going off, Hickie gave no warning; of his intention to fire, and had not examined the roadway on each side. He would not say Hickie was a competent shot firer. Witness went into the place two minutes after the shot was fired. The Fiscal - “What right had you to do that?” Witness - “It being the last day we were busy cleaning up to get away.” The Fiscal - “You were all in a desperate hurry that day?” In cross-examination witness denied that they were all in a hurry to get away, and were prepared to do anything. Joseph Dick (23), miner, 9 West Murrayfield, Bannockburn, said that after the shot was fired he found the previous witness in a fainting condition, and saw that Philip Smith was killed. He did not hear any person shout " Fire!" He denied that they were all in a hurry to get away as it was the last shift prior to the strike. His evidence was that the section was "just being run anyhow," the regulations not being observed. At this stage accused's agent intimated that his client had decided to plead guilty to the first charge, and the latter part of the third one. This was accepted. Sheriff J. Dean Leslie said he was glad for accused's sake that the other charges had been departed from, because he could not have accepted the evidence of Smith or Dick. He hoped the evidence as regarded the working of the pit and the conduct of accused as firer were grossly exaggerated. He could not understand these men allowing such a state of affairs to go on, and that the management should not have spotted it. He did not accept evidence as a true story in regard to firing, but on this occasion everybody seemed to be in a hurry to get out of the pit. However, as accused had pleaded guilty, he would impose a fine of £5. [Scotsman 20 November 1926]

3 December 1926

Kilsyth Man Killed in New Zealand - A Scotsman from Kelly, Fife, who is employed in mining at Greymouth, Wellington. New Zealand, has cabled to Mr Robert Hunter, colliery manager, Kingston Flats, Kilsyth, that the latter's son, Robert, has perished in the mine disaster which occurred there last Friday morning, when several men were killed through an explosion. Hunter's body was one of those recovered. Deceased, who was an engineer, was 24 years of age and the youngest member of the family. About a year ago he went out to New Zealand to join his uncle, who had recently transferred to another colliery. [Scotsman 6 December 1926]

13 December 1926

Death In Falkirk Colliery - The workers at Letham Colliery, near Falkirk, were idle yesterday in consequence of a tragic death which occurred underground in the morning. William Allan, miner, Letham Cottages, was proceeding to his working place, when he suddenly collapsed by the roadside. He was at once taken to the surface, but expired almost immediately, death being due to heart failure. [Scotsman 14 December 1926]

4 February 1927

Scottish Pit Fatalities – A fatal accident at Messrs James Nimmo & Company's No 23 Pit, Redding, near Falkirk, was reported to the Falkirk police yesterday. It appears that Alexander Gibb, a pithead worker, 67 years of age, and residing at Redding, was attending to a dross conveyor when he accidentally got caught in the machinery. Gibb was so severely injured that he died soon afterwards. [Scotsman 5 February 1927]

9 April 1927

Falkirk Colliery Accident - Falkirk police yesterday reported a serious accident which befell two mineworkers at East Roughrigg Colliery, Muiravonside, near Falkirk, on the previous day. Christopher Stewart (31), miner, residing at Crosscrows Rows, and Peter Wilson, repairer, Greencraig, Avonbridge, were repairing a stair in a communication shaft of the colliery when the stair gave way. Both men fell some distance down the shaft. Stewart suffered from bruises on the arms and face, and also from shock. Wilson, who was more seriously injured, was removed with all speed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. [Scotsman 11 April 1927]

August 1927

Polmont Man Falls 50 Feet - John Bennie (52), onsetter, Polmontside Square, Polmont, has been admitted to Falkirk and District Infirmary suffering from severe injuries, as the result of an accident in No, 23 Pit, Redding Colliery, near Falkirk. Bennie was pushing a hutch loaded with between seven and eight cwts. of coal along the soft coal bottom of the pit towards the cage. At the time, however, the cage was not in position, and both Bennie and the hutch fell down the shaft to the ball coal bottom, a distance of 51 feet. The injured man was taken to the surface, and, after receiving first-aid treatment , was conveyed to the infirmary, where it was found that he had sustained fractures of the left leg above the knee, and of the right leg below the knee. He also suffered from shock, a dislocated finger, a severe scalp wound, and other injuries. [Scotsman 6 August 1927]

September 1927

Entombed Miners – Both Rescued Alive – A Dreadful Ordeal - The prolonged efforts to reach -the two men James M'Alpine, miner, Glasgow Road, Dennyloanhead, and James Docherty, miner, Banknock Terrace, Longcroft - who had been entombed in Broomrigg No. 2 Pit, Dennyloanhead, Stirlingshire, since Tuesday evening, were successful yesterday morning, and the men were got out alive.

Local miners from the No. 1 Broomrigg Pit had worked incessantly from Tuesday night to clear the way into the new mine, in which the men were imprisoned by a heavy fall, and a brigade from the Mines Rescue Station, at Larbert had been in readiness at the pit since Tuesday night in case their services were necessary. After the inrush of moist material from old workings ceased on Wednesday night, the work of eating into the fall progressed much more rapidly, and about 6 am. a rod, which was forced through the debris to the spot where the men were thought to be, was found to be marked on being withdrawn. Soon afterwards an aperture was made, and the two men came to it and were got out.

They had conserved their light during the period of imprisonment, rekindling the lamps now and again when they heard sounds so that they might see if anything was being passed through to them. They had withstood their awful ordeal wonderfully well, and when raised to the pithead were able to walk the few yards from the cage to the motor waiting to take them to their homes. Both seemed fairly cheery, and it was surprising to observe that Docherty, the older man and of much less powerful frame than his companion, showed the least trace of his dreadful experience. [Scotsman 9 September 1927]

29 December 1927

Maddiston Colliery Fatality - An accident attended with fatal results occurred at Craigend Colliery, Maddiston, near Falkirk, yesterday afternoon, James Dick, a surfaceman, Parkhall, Maddiston, was filling waggons with coke and dross, and, when pushing forward a waggon to be coupled to another, he was crushed between the buffers. Dick, who was severely injured internally, was removed to Falkirk and District Infirmary, where he died about 2 hours later. [Scotsman 30 December 1927]

2 January 1928

As a result of injuries received by the explosion of a gas container at the by-product works at Plean Colliery, George Amos Wright (34), engineer, Forthview, East Plean, had died in Stirling Royal Infirmary. Wright was engaged welding a copper pipe with a flame produced by oxygen and coal gas when the gas container exploded and he was severely injured about the face and had an arm broken. [Dunfermline Journal 7 January 1928]

3 January 1928

Fatal Accident in Stirling Pit - George Mercer, 17, miner's drawer, residing at 25 Roxburgh Row, Cowie, near Stirling, met with injuries in No 1 Pit, Bannockburn Colliery, on Tuesday, which resulted in his death in Stirling Royal Infirmary on Wednesday night. Mercer was proceeding from the coal face to the pit bottom, and it is supposed that he had been struck by one of the hutches running on an endless chain in one of the roads. [Scotsman 6 January 1928]

15 May 1928

Fatality at Redding Pit - While at work yesterday morning in No. 23 pit, Redding Colliery, Redding, belonging to James Nimmo & Company, coalmasters, Robert Easton, miner, 11 North Row, Shieldhill, near Falkirk, was accidentally killed. About 8.30 Easton was engaged in shot-firing operations at the coal face when a shot unexpectedly went off. The unfortunate man was so severely injured as a result of the explosion that he died almost immediately. [Scotsman 16 May 1928] [Many thanks to David Ferrie for supplying details of this accident]

4 August 1928

Kilsyth Miner Fatally Injured - Francis M'Whinnie, miners' drawer, Findlay Street, Kilsyth, succumbed on Saturday to injuries received in Dumbreck Colliery, Kilsyth. While pushing a hutch down an underground roadway he was overtaken by a loaded runaway hutch, which crashed into him. One of his legs was broken and his back terribly hurt; while he also suffered internal injuries. Deceased, was 24 years of age, and leaves a widow and young family. [Scotsman 6 August 1928]

16 November 1928

Fatality In No 3 Pit – Miner Crushed By Falling Stone - While at work in No. 3 Polmaise Colliery Fallin, on Friday, about 1 o'clock, Andrew M'Googan, 53 years of age, residing at D. Block, Fallin, was fatally injured by a large stone falling from the top of the coal, where he was working, and crushing him below it. He was removed to Stirling Royal Infirmary, after he had been attended to by Dr. Porter at the pit head. He succumbed to his injuries shortly after admission to the Infirmary. Mr M'Googan had been employed at Fallin for 21 years, and he is survived by a widow and grown up family. [Many thanks to Helen and John for supplying this information]

5 December 1928

Fallin Pit Fatality - A fatality occurred at No. 3 pit, Fallin Colliery, about midnight on Monday. Robert Somerville, brushing contractor, was at work at the face when a large stone fell on top of him. Two hours elapsed before Somerville could be released, and when extricated he was found to be dead. As a mark of sympathy the pit was idle yesterday. [Scotsman 5 December 1928]

11 December 1928

Stirling Pit Worker Dies In Hospital - Allan MacDonald (52), pit worker, Loanfoot, Millhall, has died in Stirling Royal Infirmary as a result of injuries sustained when knocked down by hutches at the bing at Millhall Colliery. A number of hutches were being taken up the bing to be emptied. There was some delay and Mac Donald went to see what was the matter and was struck by the oncoming hutches. He received compound fractures to both legs and his right leg had to be amputated in Stirling Royal Infirmary. [Evening Telegraph 12 December 1928]

28 January 1929

Bannockburn Miner Killed - William Elliot (33), miner, who resided at Carpet Close, Bannock burn, was killed by a fall of stone in Millhall Colliery, Stirling, yesterday. [Scotsman 29 January 1929]

2 April 1929

Fatality at Redding Colliery - Robert M'Nee (36), a married miner, who resided at Buttock Cottage , Polmont , was fatally injured as the result of an accident which occurred at No. 23 Pit, Redding colliery, near Falkirk, late on Tuesday night. M'Nee, along with another man, was operating a coal-cutting machine, and had just switched on the power when the machine swung round. He was caught in the cutting-wheel of the machine, and was so severely injured that he died before he could be taken to the surface. [Scotsman 4 April 1929]

In Falkirk Sheriff Court yesterday - before Sheriff Robertson and a mixed jury - a public inquiry was held into the circumstances attending the death of Robert M'Nee, miner, Battock Cottages, Polmont, who was killed while working at a coal-cutting machine in No. 23 Pit, Redding colliery, on 2nd April last. The evidence was to the effect that M'Nee and another miner named Robert Paterson, working on night shift, had prepared a coal-cutting machine for under-cutting operations, and had fitted it with fresh picks. The machine had just been set in motion, when the fresh picks, "gripping greedily," threw the machine back, and. M'Nee, standing behind, was caught by the revolving disc. Paterson at one made to switch off the power, but found that the switch and the emergency switch had been thrown out of gear. Before he could stop the machine he had to go a distance of 50 yards to the box switch at the end of the road, but in the meantime M'Nee was being pummelled by the picks at every revolution of the disc. When witness got back he found M'Nee lying at the side of the machine with his left arm torn right off from the shoulder and the body otherwise badly lacerated. He was then still alive, but died before he could be conveyed to the pit bottom. It had been the custom prior to this accident to have a man at the back of the machine. That practice, by an instruction of the owners of the colliery, had now been stopped. The jury returned a formal verdict. [Scotsman 2 July 1929]

10 April 1929

Stirling Miner Injured - Having only started work in the Manor Powis Colliery yesterday after a period of nearly three years' idleness, Charles Gibson, a miner, residing at Baker Street, Stirling, had the unfortunate experience of being involved in a serious accident last night. He was crushed by a runaway hutch, and was removed in an unconscious condition to Stirling Royal Infirmary. [Scotsman 11 April 1929]

17 September 1929

The death has taken place in Stirling Royal Infirmary of Thomas Boyd (49), pit-drawer, East Plean, as a result of an accident in No. 4 Pit, Bannockburn colliery, East Plean, on Tuesday afternoon. Boyd was engaged lifting an empty hutch on to the rails, and failed to observe the approach of a loaded hutch, with the result that he was struck on the head. [Scotsman 20 September 1929]

December 1929

Stirlingshire Colliery Fatality – The death has taken place in Stirling Royal Infirmary of Alan M'Donald (52), labourer, Loanfoot, Millhall, who received serious leg injuries as a result of being knocked down by hutches on the haulage road at Millhall Colliery. M'Donald sustained a compound fracture to both legs, it being found necessary to amputate the right leg. [Scotsman 13 December 1929]

11 February 1930

Fatal Fall Down Pit Shaft - William Sinclair, colliery under manager, last night fell down the shaft of Messrs Wm. Baird & Co.'s Haugh Colliery, Kilsyth, a distance of about 40 fathoms, and was found lying dead at the bottom. He fell from the mid-level, and, owing to the cage jamming, it was several hours before his body was reached. Sinclair, who was about 40 years of age, had been resident in Kilsyth only a few months. [Scotsman 12 February 1930]

11 April 1930

Fire Clay Pit Fatality - While, at work in the Roughcastle Fireclay Mine, Camelon, Falkirk, a clay miner named George Neilson (31), residing at Lock 10, Camelon, was killed as the result of being caught under a fall of- material from the roof. Deceased was loading a hutch with clay, when there was a fall of material, and Neilson was completely covered by debris weighing about 30 cwts. He survived only a few minutes. [Scotsman 12 April 1930]

26 May 1930

Stirlingshire Pit Fatality - [illegible name - looks like Scott] (45), stone mason, Shore Road,.... Stirlingshire, who was working as a miner at .........Colliery, about five miles from Stirling, was instantly killed about noon on Monday by a fall of stone from the coal face [Dunfermline Journal 31 May 1930]

Note - Apologies for the poor quality of this record.  Research shows this man was James Scott Jeffrey who was killed at Carnock Colliery

22 October 1930

Miner Killed By Fall From Roof – A Cowie miner, Victor James Haughton (48), who resided at 29 Ardgowan Place, was instantaneously killed in a pit accident. Haughton was at work in No 2 Pit, Bannockburn Colliery, Cowie, when he was struck by a large stone, which had become dislodged from the roof of the workings. [Scotsman 23 October 1930]

13 November 1930

Miner Fatally Crushed - Yesterday at Craigend Colliery, Maddiston, near Falkirk, John Henderson, miner, 10 Standburn Rows, by Avonbridge, was engaged in shovelling coal at the face of No. 1 pit when a large piece of stone, weighing about 10 cwts., became dislodged from the roof, crushing him in its fall. He was speedily removed to the pithead, where he was found to have expired. [Scotsman 14 November 1930]

3 April 1931

Robert Fraser (24), a miner, who resided at 44 Baker Street, Stirling, was instantaneously killed a fall from the roof at Millhall Colliery, near Stirling. Fraser leaves a widow and two young children. [Scotsman 6 April 1931]

14 April 1931

Crushed By Hutches - While at work in Woodyett Pit, of the Herbertshire Colliery, Denny, yesterday, James Murray (56), married, and residing at 64 Broad Street, Denny, was caught by a runaway rake of empty hutches and sustained serious crushing injuries. He was removed to Falkirk and District Infirmary. [Scotsman 15 April 1931]

23 June 1931

Miner Killed On The Railway - A Cowie miner, James M'Quirter (66), 16 Polmaise Place, was found dead on a railway siding at Bannockburn Colliery yesterday. Shortly before the body was discovered a number of empty waggons on the line had been shunted. M'Quirter, who leaves a widow and family, was terribly injured. [Scotsman 24 June 1931]

30 August 1931

Fatal Ending To Accident - The death has taken place at Stirling Royal Infirmary of William Hutton (30), brusher, 23 M'Gowan Row, Comrie. Hutton was engaged last week at his work in Polmaise Colliery, Fallin, when a fall took place from the roof. He sustained serious internal injuries. [Scotsman 1 September 1931]

24 November 1931

Stirling Miner Killed - While at work in Manor Powis Colliery yesterday afternoon. Robert Begg, 5 Lower Craigs, Stirling, was instantaneously killed by a fall from the roof. Begg. who is a young married man, was working alongside another man when a large stone became dislodged and crushed him. [Scotsman 25 November 1931]

15 February 1932

Pit Fireman Killed - A distressing fatal accident occurred yesterday in Craigend Colliery, Maddiston, the property of Carron Company. James M'Lay (46), pit fireman, 120 Carronview, Maddiston, was at work in No. 8 Section ball coal when an explosion took place, killing him instantaneously. M'Lay had been working at a water sump when a stick of gelignite which he was holding in his hand exploded. No one witnessed the accident. [Scotsman 16 February 1932]

21 March 1932

Miner Killed At Work - While at work in No. 2 Pit, Millhall Colliery, Stirling, yesterday, a 51 years old miner, James Doherty, residing in St John Street, Stirling, was killed by a fall of stone from the roof. Doherty, who leaves a widow and family; had started work after being idle for a considerable period. He belongs to Denny district. [Scotsman 22 March 1932]

31 March 1932

Denny Miner Killed - A miner, Patrick M'Menamy (31), residing at Broad Street, Denny, was fatally injured by a fall of stone from the roof while at work in the Larbert Dook Section of Woodyet Pit, Herbertshire Colliery, Denny, yesterday. The stone measured about 6 feet long, and weighed about half a ton. He died shortly after being extricated. M'Menamy leaves a widow and one child. [Scotsman 1 April 1932]

18 June 1932

Fatal Pit Accident - James Petrie (57), pit bottomer, Blairmains Cottages, Blairlogie, died in Stirling Royal Infirmary on Saturday as a result of injuries sustained the previous day when working at the pit bottom in No. 3 pit, Manor Powis Colliery. Petrie was in the act of raising the safety gate at the shaft bottom when he was seen to stumble and fall into the cage well. At that moment the cage was descending, and Petrie, unable to get clear, was severely crushed internally and had his right leg fractured. [Scotsman 20 June 1932]

28 June 1932

Stirling Miner Killed - While working in the Greenyards section of No. 2 Pit, Manor Powis Colliery, Stirling, yesterday morning, an elderly Stirling miner was killed by a fall of stone from the roof. He was Bernard M'Kenna (55), a widower, residing at 47 Baker Street. [Scotsman 29 June 1932]

SCOTTISH PIT TRAGEDIES - Man Who Was Recalled - Joseph Norton, colliery brusher, Church Street, Kilsyth, was killed in Curriemine Colliery, Kilsyth, to-day. He had finished his shift and was on his way up the pit when he was recalled to attend to some job, and a large stone fell upon him and killed him outright. A well-known football official, Norton leaves a family of eight.   Stirling Man Killed –An elderly miner Bernard M'Kenna (55), widower, 47 Baker Street, Stirling, was killed in the Greenyards Section of No. 3 Pit, Manor Powis Colliery, this morning. Death was due injuries sustained when a large stone fell from the roof at the point where he was working. [Evening Telegraph 28 June 1932]

11 July 1932

Killed In Stirling Pit - A Cambusbarron man, William Sneddon (41} repairer, 32 North End, was instantaneously killed in No. 1 pit, Millhall colliery, Stirling, yesterday morning. Sneddon was engaged at his work repairing the roof of the main haulage road when he was buried by a fall from the roof. The weight of the fall was between one and two tons, and Sneddon when extricated was found to be dead. [Scotsman 12 July 1932]

5 December 1932

Stirling Pit Fatality - Edward Moir, aged 50, stated to belong to Edinburgh,was killed while engaged at work in Hill-Hall , Colliery, Stirling. Moir, who resided at Bannockburn Road, St Ninians, was engaged at the coal-cutting machine,, when, it is thought, he stumbled over a bar and was revolved round the machine. Death was instantaneous. [Scotsman 6 December 1932]

21 February 1933

Pinned Down By Boulder - Stirling Miner's Eight Hours' Ordeal in Pit Mishap - Thirty miners worked for nearly eight hours in Manor Powis Colliery, Stirling, yesterday morning, to free one of their comrades who had been trapped under a heavy fall of rock. Patrick M'Cue, St Mary's Wynd, was brushing in the Armstrong section, at a part which is only about 20 inches high, when the fall occurred. He was pinned down by a stone weighing many tons, the upper part of his body was free of debris, however, and the rescuers were able to pass stimulants to M'Cue, who kept up a cheery conversation and sang occasionally, although he was in great pain. The stone had to be jacked up before he could be liberated. M'Cue was carried half a mile by stretcher to the pit bottom, taken to the surface, and removed to Stirling Infirmary, where it was learned he had sustained severe injuries to the lower part of the body, and that both his legs were broken. [Scotsman 22 February 1933]

Stirling Miner Dies From Injuries - The death occurred in Stirling Royal Infirmary yesterday of Patrick M'Cue, the young Stirling miner who was trapped under a stone for eight hours at Manor Powis Colliery, Stirling, on Tuesday. M'Cue sustained a fracture of the pelvis and a fracture of both legs. He displayed great bravery during the eight hours that thirty of his colleagues worked unceasingly to extricate him from under a stone weighing many tons, and heartened his rescuers by singing and whistling during the time they were jacking up the stone. M'Cue was well-known in the Stirling district as a juvenile footballer of great promise, and played for St Mary's, Stirling. [Scotsman 23 February 1933]

3 April 1933

Denny Miner Injured- A man named George Mullen, 54 Broad Street, Denny, sustained a broken leg and other injuries through being caught by a runaway hutch in the north dook section of Woodyett Pit, of the Herbertshire Colliery, Denny, yesterday. Mullen had a very fortunate escape, as the runaway hutch weighed about 25 cwts. and came down a gradient of 1 in 3. After being medically attended to he was removed to Falkirk Royal Infirmary. [Scotsman 4 April 1933]

15 May 1933

Boy Miner Falls Down Pit Shaft - At the Woodyett Pit of the Herbertshire Colliery, Denny, yesterday afternoon, when the men were being raised to the surface at the finish of their shift, a young miner, David Baxter (16 1/2), son of Thomas Baxter, Broomridge Terrace, Dennyloanhead, fell out of the lower deck of the cage down the shaft. Apparently the gate of the cage gave way. The body of the boy was found later in the sump at the pit bottom. The shaft is about 600 feet deep, and the cage is stated to have been nearing the surface at the time the accident happened. [Scotsman 16 May 1933]

23 October 1933

Overcome By Foul Air In Mine – Stirlingshire Men's Alarming Experience - David M'Ewan and Robert Reid, both of Dennyloanhead both had an alarming experience in Dennyloanhead Mine yesterday. They had been working by themselves, driving a new road in the mine. On entering the working place after the firing of shots they were overcome by foul air. Reid managed to struggle to the mine mouth, where he collapsed. Pithead workers observed him, and at once surmised that his mate must be below ground. Four of them immediately entered the new road, where they found M'Ewan, unconscious and carried him to the pithead. Both men were carried to a house close at hand, and a doctor summoned. After fully an hour and a half the men were sufficiently revived to be conveyed to their homes, where they were put to bed. [Scotsman 24 October 1933]

6 March 1934

Fatal Accident In Stirling Pit - Andrew Harley, pit bottomer, residing in Menstrie, was killed while at work in Manor Powis Colliery, Stirling, yesterday afternoon. He was crushed by a descending pit cage, and death was instantaneous. [Scotsman 6 March 1934]

1 July 1934

Scottish Pit Cage Accident – Miner Killed and 12 Injured - Eleven miners were admitted to Stirling Royal Infirmary yesterday afternoon after an accident at No. 3 pit, Polmaise Colliery, Fallin, near Stirling, when the cage overwound. One of them, William Agnew, of Fallin, aged 27, died last night. Seven men were descending the pit at the time and six were coming to the surface. The miners in the descending cage, which struck the pit bottom, were the more seriously injured.

Those admitted to Stirling Royal Infirmary and detained were:
George Kerr, 61, of Fallin, a compound fracture of the leg and arm.
Angus Milroy, 35, of Fallin, fractured ribs.
Patrick Kelly, 55, of Millhall, Stirling, an injury to the back.
James Rankine, 23, of Fallin, a facial injury.
George Gilmour, 32, of Fallin, an eye injury.
Bruce Thompson, 37, of Fallin, a fractured foot.
James Heeps, of Borestone Crescent, Stirling, an injury to his back.
Joseph Graffen, of Fallin, a leg injury.
Martin Lawley, 34, of Roxburgh Row, Cowie, a compound fracture of the leg.

Robert Stevenson, of Baker Street, Stirling, was allowed to go home after treatment of minor injuries. Two other injured men who were taken direct to their homes were:- Patrick Ingles, of Bannockburn, and James M'Alister, of Cowie.

The accident occurred when the afternoon shift was succeeding the day shift. Miners going to their work helped carry the injured men from the pithead to the ambulance room. The joiner's shop was utilized for this purpose. The injured men were brought to the surface up the adjoining shaft, No4.

Seventy men had been safely carried on the cage a short time before the accident. The colliery stopped work for the day after the accident. [ The Times 2 July1934]

Another Miner Dead - The Polmaise Pit Accident – Condition of Injured - A second death has occurred as a result of the accident at Polmaise Colliery, Fallin, Stirlingshire, on Sunday. George Kerr (61), who resided at 8a Block, Fallin, succumbed to his injuries in Stirling Royal Infirmary, yesterday afternoon. Kerr had sustained compound fractures of the leg and arm. It was learned at the Infirmary yesterday that the other injured men - nine in number - had passed a comfortable night. George Gilmour (32), 23 Fallin Rows, Fallin, it was stated, in addition to a severe eye injury, was suffering from a fracture of the leg. It was learned that a soldier from Stirling Castle had given a blood transfusion in an attempt to-save the life of William Agnew, who died on Sunday night. H.M. Inspector of Mines visited Polmaise Colliery yesterday to conduct an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the accident, which was caused by the overwinding of a cage. [Scotsman 3 July 1934]

30 November 1934

Stirling Pit Fatality – While at work in Manor Powis Colliery, Stirling, yesterday, John Mitchell Wylie, age 22, miner's drawer, residing at 22 Duff Crescent, Stirling, was killed by a fall of stone. [Scotsman 1 December 1934]

2 January 1935

High Bonnybridge Works Tragedy - The resumption of work after the New Year holidays at the Milnquarter Brick Works, High Bonnybridge, yesterday, was marred by a fatal accident. Shortly before the lunch interval a 15-year-old pithead worker, Nicholas Connell, Waverley Place, High Bonnybridge, was engaged at a powerful clay crushing machine, when he was drawn in between two pinion wheels forming part of the crushing, apparatus and fatally injured. [Scotsman 3 January 1935]

18 February 1935

Miner's Death Through Injury - An accident in an East Stirlingshire pit had a fatal sequel yesterday, when a miner died as the result of injuries. He was David Brown, drawer, who resided at 44 Longdyke, by Falkirk, and it appears that while he was entering the cage at the bottom of the main coal seam in Carronhall Colliery, owned by Carron Company, he received injury to his head in contact with the cage. Brown died in Falkirk and District Royal Infirmary. [Scotsman 19 February 1935]

25 February 1935

Stirlingshire Pit Accident - Two Miners' Narrow Escape when Trapped by Fall - Two men had a narrow escape from death yesterday when they were buried by a fall from the roof in the Greenyards section of Manor Powis Colliery, Causewayhead, near Stirling. The accident occurred shortly before the day-shift was due to finish. William Dunn, fireman, Main Street, St Ninians, along with Archibald Hunter, miner, Alva, was making a last-minute inspection of the workings prior to the new shift taking over duty when both men were suddenly trapped by the fall. Dunn was buried, while Hunter was held fast by one foot. On the alarm being given miners rushed to the aid of the men, and after an hour succeeded in extricating them. Hunter was not badly injured and was able to go home, but Dunn was carried on a stretcher along the pit-bottom for over a quarter of a mile, and an reaching the pit-head was medically attended to. He was removed to Stirling Royal Infirmary suffering, it is believed, from fractured ribs. [Scotsman 26 February 1935]

13 May 1935

Stirling Miner Killed - A Cambusbarron miner lost his life a few minutes before the end of the shift at Millhall Colliery, Stirling, yesterday morning. He was John Douglas, aged about 50 who resided at 13 Hayford Square. While at work in No. 1 Pit, Douglas was trapped by a fall of stone from the roof. He died shortly after being taken to the surface. [Scotsman 14 May 1935]

6 August 1935

Miner Killed At Stirling Colliery - A fatal accident occurred at Manor Powis Colliery, Stirling, yesterday afternoon, the victim being Andrew Dalrymple (39), miner, who resided at 17 The Square, Clackmannan. Dalrymple was engaged at his work, when a large stone fell from the roof and struck him on the head. He was found by workmates, and, after he had been extricated, artificial respiration was applied, but without success. Medical aid was summoned, and life was pronounced extinct. [Scotsman 7 August 1935]

31 October 1935

15 Year Old Boy Killed In Pit Accident - Through being run down by a hutch, containing a load of sand, Patrick Clancy (15), son of Patrick Clancy, machineman, 105 Bothwell Park Rows, Bellshill, employed as a bencher in Woodyett Pit of the Herbertshire Colliery, Denny, sustained injuries from which he succumbed after being conveyed by his mates to the pit bottom. Clancy was at work in the mine section of the pit at the time the hutch broke loose. Running down the incline, it crashed into him, and threw him against one of the girders, breaking his neck. The lad was one of a squad of miners who are conveyed daily to the colliery from the Bellshill district. The pit was idle for the remainder of the day. [Scotsman 1 November 1935]

7 April 1936

Stirlingshire Pit Fatality - John Collins, machineman, who resided at LethamTerrace, Carronshore, was killed while at work in Barleyside Colliery near Falkirk, yesterday. It appears that Collins was engaged at a coal-cutting machine when he encountered some obstacle, and was caught in the cutting wheel. He was killed instantaneously. [Scotsman 8 April 1936]

21 March 1936

Fatal Result of Pit Accident - The death took place in Stirling Royal Infirmary on Saturday, of David Rae (17), haulage boy, 138 Red Row, East Plean, who met with an accident in No. 5 pit, Plean Colliery, on Thursday night. Rae slipped on the greasy plates at the pit bottom, and fell into the cage sump as a double-decker cage, weighing about seven tons, was descending with empty hutches. Before the lad could be pulled out he was pinned by the cage and severely crushed. [Scotsman 23 March 1936]

18 May 1936

Stirling Miner's Fatal Accident - Alexander M'Lean, an elderly miner, who resided at 72 Baker Street, Stirling, died in Stirling Royal Infirmary yesterday, a few hours after he had been injured by a fall of stone from the roof of Manor Powis Colliery, Stirling. M'Lean, who leaves a widow and grown-up family, was a native of Hamilton, and was well-known as an athlete in his younger days. He was a past chairman of the men's section of the Stirling Socialist party, and took a keen interest in local government affairs. His wife is at present chairman of the Baker Street Ward committee. [Scotsman 19 May 1936]

2 October 1936

Denny Pit Explosion - Three Men in Hospital – Burning Injuries - Three men sustained severe burning injuries, and three others suffered from shock and the effects of gas fumes, as the result of an explosion early yesterday in Woodyett Pit of the Herbertshire Colliery, Denny, Stirlingshire, owned by Wilson & Clyde Coal Co. The injured are Henry Davidson, miner, Church Place, Bellshill; John M'Master, drawer, 113 Stirling Street, Denny, formerly of Bellshill; and William M'Nairn, brusher, 23 Glasgow Road, Dennyloanhead. Davidson and M'Master were removed to Falkirk and District Royal Infirmary, and M'Nairn, who was less seriously injured, to Denny Cottage hospital. The other men involved were Thomas Gillon senior, and Thomas Gillon, junior, brushers, Kerr Crescent, Banknock, and William Turnbull, fireman, 13 Stirling Street, Denny. The explosion occurred in the No. 1 bench of the south dook of the pit, immediately following shot-firing operations. The brushers were sitting taking their piece. There was a sudden blast of coal dust, followed by a strong current of hot air. Some of the men were blown several yards and losing their lamps were left in darkness. Although badly burned about the head, M'Nairn was able to make his way to a telephone and raise the alarm. Turnbull who was in charge of the shift, and was firing the shots on the level road some distance away from where the other men were, stated in an interview that his first indication that something was wrong was the reversal of the air current. He also heard a shout coming from the direction of where the other men were, and on making his way there found this part of the pit filled with dust and fumes. All the other men had gone with the exception of Davidson, whom he found lying in a weak state in the centre of the road. With great difficulty he managed to drag the injured man to a point about 30 yards away, where he found the air was purer. Being on the point of collapse, Turnbull left Davidson there and scrambled up the incline where he got two men to go to Davidson' s assistance. [Scotsman 3 October 1936]

Denny Pit Explosion – Injured Man Succumbs - Henry Davidson, Churchside Place, Bellshill, one of the six men injured in the explosion which occurred in Woodyett Pitt, Denny, on Friday died from his injuries in Falkirk and District Royal Infirmary on Saturday morning. Davidson was seriously burned about the body and arms, and also suffered internally from the effects of gas fumes. Deceased was married, was about 55 years of age, and had started work in the pit only a few days previous to the accident. John M'Master, 113 Stirling Street . Denny, another of the men injured in the explosion is reported as being still very ill. The other men involved are making satisfactory progress . [Scotsman 5 October 1936]

Second Death In Denny Pit Explosion - A second death occurred yesterday as a result of the explosion which occurred in Woodyett Pit of the Herbertshire Colliery, Denny, a fortnight ago. John M'Master, aged 22, 113 Stirling Street . Denny, dying in Falkirk and District Royal Infirmary. Six men were injured, and one of them-died on the day following the explosion. M'Master, a native of Bellshill district took up residence in Denny recently. Besides sustaining severe burning injuries, he also suffered from the effects of poisonous fumes. [Scotsman 16 October 1936]

20 December 1936

An element of mystery surrounds the death of a Bellshill miner named Alexander Gordon, 453 Old Edinburgh Road, whose body was found in the workings of Woodyett Pit, of the Herbertshire Colliery Denny, where he was employed as a fireman. Gordon failed to report at his customary station at the change of shift, and on a search being made, he was found lying dead near the coal face. The only mark on the body was a cut in the region of the right eye. It is expected that a post-mortem examination will be made to ascertain the cause of death. Gordon was about 60 years of age. Following the discovery of the body, the colliery was idle yesterday. [Scotsman 22 December 1936]

25 January 1937

Fatal Accident At Stirling Colliery - A fatal accident took place at Manor Powis colliery, Stirling, yesterday. David Lauder, miner, who resided at 6 Orchard Terrace, Cambuskenneth, was run over by a runaway empty hutch. Lauder, who was married, was 33 years of age. [Scotsman 26 January 1937]

27 February 1937

Charles Nicol (43), miner, who lived at 47 Wallace Street, Bannockburn, was killed while at work at No. 2 pit, Polmaise Colliery, Millhall, Stirling, on Saturday. He was struck by a stone which fell from the roof, death being instantaneous. [Scotsman 1 March 1937]

March 1937

Relatives at Kilsyth have received a cable intimating that John Hardie (31) who emigrated about 10 years ago to Australia, has been killed in a colliery accident at Catamaran, Tasmania. [Scotsman 5 March 1937]

29 March 1937

Court of Session - Dependency Question - Mother’s Successful Appeal - Fatal Accident Sequel - The Second Division of the Court of Session yesterday gave judgment in an appeal in an arbitration under the Workmen’s compensation Act, 1925, relating to a claim preferred by the mother of an illegitimate child on his behalf in respect of the death of the father who sustained injury by accident arising out of, and in the course of his employment at Polmaise No. 2 Pit on February 25, 1037. There was no dispute as to paternity nor as to the fact of dependency. The only issue was whether on the facts found by the arbitrator, Sheriff-Substitute J. Dean Leslie, the dependency of the child was total or partial. The child was born on August 27, 1936. From his birth onwards he lived with his mother in her parents’ house. The deceased workman paid the mother 15s for his child in September 1936 and 5s on each of three occasions in February 1937. For unspecified periods between the date of the birth and the date of the accident he was unemployed. He died as the result of the pit accident on March 29, 1937. At the date of the accident the workman was in employment and earning a wage at the rate of £2 10s per week. The workman and the child’s mother had arranged to marry on January 1, 1937, but some weeks before that date they departed from their purpose to marry on that date on the advice of the woman’s father, as the workman was then unemployed. The parties renewed their purpose to marry, and on February 6. 1937, they intimated that purpose to the registrar of births in Stirling, and arranged with the Roman Catholic clergyman at Fallin to celebrate the marriage on February 27, 1937. Publication of that was made in the Roman Catholic Church at Fallin. On the night of the accident the workman asked the mother of his child if she would still marry him as he was (he was paralysed from the waist downwards), and to that she consented. Upon those facts Sheriff Substitute Dean Leslie reached the conclusion that the child was only in part dependent upon the earnings of the workman at the time of his death, upon the footing that in alimenting an illegitimate child the father would pay the mother the customary aliment, which ordinarily means a payment of 4s 6d a week, the mother having claimed aliment on the basis that the deceased workman was in her view responsible for one half and not the whole of what was required for the maintenance of the child. The Division sustained the appeal, answering the main question in the case to the effect that on the facts the arbitrator was bound to hold that the dependency of the child on the deceased workman was total. The case was remitted back to the arbitrator to assess as for total dependency. Lord Wark, who gave the leading opinion, expressed the view that the authorities established the proposition that, in considering the question of dependency of an illegitimate child, the arbitrator was not only entitled but bound to have regard to the declared intention of the workman, who bad acknowledged paternity, to marry the mother if the facts showed that, but for the accident that intention would have been carried out. In other words, he must take the intention frustrated by the accident for the deed, and decide the question of dependency as if the marriage had taken place. In the present case the arbitrator had found in fact that, but for the accident, the workman would have married the child’s mother. The child would have been living in family with his father and mother. Mr Clyde, continued his Lordship, did not seriously contest this view. But he argued that even if the arbitrator was bound to proceed upon that footing, he was not bound to find total dependence. He maintained that it was still open to the arbitrator to hold partial dependence since the workman might have lost his employment and been unable to support his son, or might have left the child in the custody of his wife’s parents. Those appeared to his Lordship to be mere speculations. At the time of the accident the workman was in full employment, and in a position to support his wife and family; and there was nothing in the case to show that he would not have been able and willing to do so at the date of his death but for the incapacity due to the accident. It was precisely to exclude such considerations as Mr Clyde’s argument involved that the statute took the death as the date to be looked at in considering the question of dependency. In his Lordship’s opinion, if he found the intention to marry proved, as, in fact, he did, the arbitrator was not, only entitled but bound to hold total dependency established. The Lord Justice-Clerk and Lords Mackay, Wark. and Jamieson concurred. Counsel for the Appellant—Mr Arthur P. Duffes K.C. and Mr F. C. Watt Solicitors —William Geddes & Co. Edinburgh; and D. J. Ross, Stirling. Counsel for the Respondents—Mr J. L Clyde. K.C. and. Mr L H. Shearer. Solicitors —W. & J. Burness, W.S., Edinburgh; and J A. M’Ara, Glasgow. [Scotsman 21 June 1939]

5 April 1937

Fatal Collapse in Colliery - Dermott Curran, a miners' brusher, who reside at Courthill Crescent, Kilsyth, was this morning found dead in the underground workings of Easter Gartshore No. 12 Colliery, Croy. Curran had been working alone when he had evidently collapsed and died. He was a married man of about 60 years of age. [Evening Telegraph 5 April 1937]

19 April 1937

Denny Miner Dies From Injuries - William Crawley, (46), residing at 49 West Boreland Road, Denny, who had both legs broken and sustained serious injuries to his head and body, as the result of an accident when at work in Herbertshire Colliery, Denny (R. Addie & Sons Collieries, Ltd.), on Saturday , died from the effects of his injuries in Falkirk and District Royal Infirmary yesterday. Crawley was engaged in repair work in a side road leading from the No. 3 dook of the Quarter mine section when the road collapsed, and he was buried under the debris. The falling mass, estimated-at about 40 tons, became wedged and formed a bridge about 18 inches high, under which Crawley was pinned through huge stones resting on his arms and legs. His comrades worked for three hours before he could be extricated, the rescue operations being hampered by further falls of material. The victim of the tragic affair leaves a widow and a family of three. [Scotsman 20 April 1937]

26 April 1937

Two men lost their lives in Millhall Colliery, Stirling, last night, as a result of a fall of stone from the roof of the working place. The men were:-
James Cowan (42), 4c Gordon Crescent, Raploch, Stirling; and
John M'Kenna (36), Orchard farm, by Millhall.
Both were employed as brushers, and, while at work on the backshift in No. 2 pit, they were caught by a fall of stone weighing almost two tons. Assistance was at once obtained, but it was fully two hours before the men were extricated. They were at work at a distance of two miles from the pit bottom. On being taken to the surface they were found to be dead. The men employed on the backshift, numbering about 200, ceased work, and to-day the pit will be idle. About 800 men are employed at the colliery. [Scotsman 27 April 1937]

21 June 1937

Colliery Hutch Chains - Question of Breakages - Stirling Inquiry - Questions relating to the breaking of colliery hutch chains were asked at a Fatal Accidents Inquiry held by Sheriff-Substitute J. Dean Leslie and a jury at Stirling yesterday into the circumstances surrounding the death of a Bannockburn colliery bencher, Andrew Cross (26), who resided at 12 East Murrayfield, and who died in Stirling Royal Infirmary on June 21 as a result of injuries received when he was knocked down by a runaway hutch in No. 5 Pit, Plean Colliery, on June 17. John Paterson (38), oversman, 10 Loanfoot Gardens, Plean, said he looked at the fastenings of the hutch, and the chain was not broken. The clip was loosened from the haulage road and the hutch had run away. There was one hutch with the chain broken. He had examined the road to see what had caused the breaking of the chain, but he never found anything wrong. In his opinion the chain was broken by the jerking of the rope. This had lifted the hutch off the road. The jerking might have been caused by the derailment of a hutch at another point. “Broke Frequently” - Witness, in reply to Mr P. C. Dominy, Dunfermline , H.M. Inspector of Mines, said that not many chains had broken in this way. He never reported such a thing as a broken chain, nor did he examine the broken chain very carefully. In answer to Mr John Cassells , solicitor, Hamilton, representing deceased's relatives, Paterson said he did not think the chains were examined regularly. It was within his knowledge that chains broke frequently. Sheriff - Do they break weekly? - Yes. And it is so frequently that you don't take any interest in a broken chain. You didn't look at the part of the chain which was broken? - When I looked at the chain there was one broken link. The broken link was missing? - Yes. Mr Cassells - Did you look for the broken link? - No. Did you make a report of the accident? - No. John Binnie (44), colliery manager, Hillhouse , Main Street, East Plean, said that on the following day he examined the place where the accident happened. In his opinion the accident happened as a result of the hutch becoming derailed. The hutch had hit a girder and the chain was broken in consequence . He had not found the broken link, although he had given instructions for a search to be made for it. Fiscal - Have you any rule about workmen travelling on this haulage road where tubs are running? - The men are not allowed to travel on that road. A notice is put up to that effect. What is the reason for this rule? - Because it is unsafe for men to travel there, and also, it is against the Coal Mines Act. Such an accident as this might happen at any time?—Yes. Witness, cross-examined by Mr Cassells, said that to his knowledge the chains did not break frequently. It was not within his knowledge that the chains broke weekly. The breaking of chains was not reported to him directly. Binnie replied to the Sheriff that no record was kept of broken chains because there were very few broken. He admitted that no harm would be done in booking a broken chain. The chains, he said, were examined at the surface by the engineer and the blacksmith , but there were no definite intervals of time for the examination. They were not examined regularly apart from breakages. The medical evidence was to the effect that Cross died from internal haemorrhage. A formal verdict was returned. [Scotsman 31 July 1937]

23 September 1937

Miner's Spine Fractured - A Falkirk miner, Daniel Mills (43), 158 Orchard Street, Camelon, is critically ill in Falkirk and District Royal Infirmary with injuries sustained in a fall of stone from a pit roof. It was ascertained to-day that he is suffering from a fractured spine. [Evening Telegraph - Monday 09 August 1937]

Daniel Mills died 23 September 1937 in Falkirk Royal Infirmary.

25 October 1937

Miner Killed At Work - Robert Kemp, a 54-year-old miner who resided at Westerton Terrace, Carronshore, near Falkirk, was killed in an accident at William Pit, Carronshore, on Saturday. Kemp was engaged at the coal face when there was a sudden fall from the roof. He was caught under the debris and was pinned to the ground, death being instantaneous. [Scotsman 25 October 1937]

7 November 1937

Kilsyth Man's Death - Peter Stevenson (55), miner, who resided at Johnston Avenue, Kilsyth, died in the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, at the weekend. Deceased sustained severe burning injuries while at work some time ago, when an accumulation of gas in a disused roadway ignited. He leaves a grown-up family. [Scotsman 8 November 1937]

14 December 1937

Colliery Accident At Kilsyth - Thomas Russell, colliery undermanager, Queenzieburn, Kilsyth, was yesterday injured when struck by a runaway hutch in the underground workings at Dumbreck Colliery Kilsyth. He was removed by ambulance waggon to the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. [Scotsman 15 December 1937]

14 January 1938

A fatal accident occurred yesterday morning in No. 2 Pit, Polmaise Colliery, Millhall, the victim being Frank Cairns (43) machine-man, Loanhead, near Stirling. Cairns was at work in No. 5 jiggers' Section when he was instantly killed by a fall of stone from the roof. [Scotsman 15 January 1938]

25 January 1938

William Weir, miner, 6 Bandeath Cottages, Fallin, died in Stirling Royal Infirmary yesterday as a result of injuries received in an accident in Millhall Colliery, Stirling, earlier in the day. Weir fell down the pit shaft to the sump. [Scotsman 26 January 1938]

16 April 1938

Fatality At End of Shift - Almost on finishing-up time in the Dumbreck No. 2 Colliery, Kilsyth, belonging to William Baird & Co., Ltd., a serious accident took place on Saturday, involving the death of one man and severe injuries to another. A large stone weighing several hundredweights unexpectedly fell out of the roof of the workings and caught James Gilfillan, miner, Maxwell Place, Kilsyth, and John Murphy, miner, Barrwood Cottages, Kilsyth, When extricated, Gilfillan was found, to have been killed outright, his neck being broken, while Murphy was injured about the neck and legs. Murphy was taken to the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. Gilfillan, who was a married man of 30 years of age, leaves a widow and two children. [Scotsman 18 April 1938]

Kilsyth Colliery Death - A Second Death - The death took place yesterday at Glasgow Royal Infirmary of John Murphy, Barrwood Cottages, Kilsyth, who succumbed to injuries received in an accident in Dumbreck No. 2 Colliery, Kilsyth, on Saturday. Murphy had been at work along with James Gilfillan, Maxwell Place, Kilsyth, when a large boulder fell on them. Gilfillan was killed outright, and Murphy was badly injured. Murphy was a married man of 27 years of age. [Scotsman 23 April 1938]

7 July 1938

Young Kilsyth Man Killed At Work - A fatality occurred at Kilsyth yesterday, the victim being an 18-year-old labourer Robert M'Phee Stevenson, who lived at Drumtocher Street, Kilsyth. He had been engaged along with another man on the demolition of the engine-house at the Haugh Colliery, Kilsyth, which has been closed down His companion observed the brick wall sway, and shouted to Stevenson, but the latter failed to get clear and was pinned down by the mass of bricks. [Scotsman 8 July 1938]

21 June 1939

Pit Fatality - Peter Hunt (39), coal stripper, 24a Duff Crescent, Raploch, Stirling, was killed yesterday while working in the Wallsend conveyer run section in No. 2 Pit, Polmaise Colliery, Millhall. A large stone fell from the roof and pinned him down. When extricated, Hunt was found to be dead. Hunt, who served throughout the Great War, was in the Territorial Army, being a corporal in the Stirling Signals Company. [Scotsman 22 June 1939]

14 November 1939

Kilsyth Pit Fatality - While at work in the Haughrigg section of Dumbreck No. 2 Colliery, Kilsyth, John Haggart (52), miner, Mid Barrwood, Kilsyth, was pinned down by a massive stone, and killed It was two hours before he was extricated, and the body had to be carried a distance of 1 1/2 mile to the pit bottom before being brought to the surface. Haggart leaves a wife and a family of nine. [Scotsman 15 November 1939]

18 November 1939

Roof Fall Kills Miner - William Wells, fireclay miner, who lived at Broomhill, High Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire, was killed while at work in J . G. Stein & Co.'s Milnquarter Fireclay Pit on Saturday. He was pinned down by a heavy fall of material from the roof in the underground workings. The debris was removed by fellow-workers, but Wells was found to be dead. He was married and about 30 years of age. [Scotsman 20 November 1939]

25 December 1939

Pit Fatality - A Bannockburn miner, Peter Morrison (42), who resided at 20 Lomond Drive, was killed while at work yesterday in No. 2 Pit, Polmaise Colliery, Millhall, near Stirling. Morrison, who was a married man, had almost finished his shift when he was trapped by a fall from the roof. Death was instantaneous. The colliery was idle for the remainder of the day. [Scotsman 26 December 1939]

1 March 1940

Pit Fatality - A Cowie man, William James Smith (30), miner's brusher, 2 M'Gowan Row, was killed yesterday when following his occupation in No. 1 pit, Polmaise Colliery, Millhall, near Stirling. He was struck by a large stone. Deceased was a married man. [Scotsman 2 March 1940]

11 October 1940

Killed by Fall of Roof In Mine – A 17 year old apprentice engineer, James Hunter, Manor Powis Cottages, Causewayhead, Stirling, was killed today while working underground at Manor Powis Colliery. It is understood that his death was caused by a fall of stone from the roof. [Evening Telegraph 11 October 1940]

18 October 1940

Pit Fatality At Denny -A fatal accident occurred in Herbertshire Colliery, Denny, yesterday, when a miner, Hendry Crossan, residing at Glasgow Road, Dennyloanhead, was caught by a fall from the roof. He died a few minutes after being rescued by a party of his fellow workmen. [Scotsman 19 October 1940]

14 February 1941

Pit Fatality - While he was at work yesterday at Gateside mine, Standburn, Patrick Welsh, miner, Limerigg, Slamannan, was killed by a fall from the roof. Deceased, who was 55 years of age, had just recently resumed work after an illness. He was an active worker in connection with A.R.P. and ambulance services in the Slamannan district. [Scotsman 15 February 1941]

3 July 1941

Plean Miner Killed By Heavy Stone - Went to Rescue of a Comrade - David Laird, miner, 147 Red Row, Plean, lost his life in No. 5 pit, Plean Colliery, when he went to the assistance of a colleague who had been pinned by a stone which fell from the roof. Laird, Richard Campbell, 4 Red Row, and Robert Herriot, all of Plean, were engaged working as packers in the 20-inch section when a stone fell from the roof and pinned Campbell by the foot. Campbell shouted for help, and Laird and Herriot ran to his assistance. While they were engaged in clearing the debris from Campbell another stone, weighing about two tons, also came away from the roof, and pinned all three men. On rescue parties arriving, Campbell and Herriot were extricated, but Laird was found to be dead. Herriot, who was suffering from severe crushing injuries, was taken to Stirling Royal Infirmary, while Campbell was taken home suffering from an injury to the foot. [Scotsman 5 July 1941]

12 October 1941

Fatal Kilsyth Colliery Accident - The death has taken place of William Bankier (64) colliery fireman, Parkfoot Street, Kilsyth, following an accident on the railway at Dumbreck. Bankier had failed to notice the approach of waggons as he was crossing the line with the result that he was knocked down, and was found between the rails badly injured after the waggons had passed. Deceased was unmarried. [Glasgow Herald 14 October 1941]

30 October 1941

Miner Killed - James Penman, Woodside Terrace. Steelend, who was working at the Woodyett Pit of the Herbertshire Colliery, Denny, was killed yesterday through being crushed by a fall from the roof. [Scotsman 31 October 1941]

8 December 1941

Miner Killed by Falling Stone - William Douglas Cockburn Kerr (38), brusher, 85 Fourth Block, Fallin, near Stirling, a former King's Park goalkeeper, was killed by a fall of stone at Polmaise Colliery last night. Kerr, until a year ago, was employed in England, but when he and his family were bombed out of their home they returned to Fallin. He is survived by a wife and three children. [Evening Telegraph 8 December 1941]

9 April 1942

PIT MISHAP PROVES FATAL - Thomas Rodger, electrician, 27 Bandeath Road, Fallin, near Stirling, injured at Fallin Colliery last Saturday, when his clothing was caught in a revolving shaft, has died in an Edinburgh hospital. [Dundee Courier 11 April 1942]

20 August 1942

Stirling Pit Tragedy - John Campbell, oversman, Millhall Farm, Millhall, by Stirling, while cleaning up the haulage road in No. 2 pit, Polmaise Colliery, Millhall, yesterday, was struck and pinned to the pavement by a large stone which fell from the roof. He was dead when extricated. [Scotsman 21 August 1942]

17 January 1943

Colliery Tragedy - Alexander Rennie (71), colliery fireman, 12 A Block. Fallin, and James Dawson (52), colliery roadman, 12 Woodside Place, Fallin, were knocked down by a runaway hutch in the main haulage road at Fallin Colliery. Rennie received severe head injuries, and Dawson’s left leg was fractured. They were removed to Stirling Royal Infirmary, where Rennie died shortly after admission. Dawson died in the Infirmary yesterday. [Scotsman 18 January 1943]

9 February 1943

Pit Tragedy - William Wood, 6 Church Place, Redding, was fatally injured yesterday by a fall of stone from the roof of No 23 Pit, Redding Colliery, where he was at work. [Scotsman 10 February 1943]

20 December 1943

Pithead Mishap – One Man Killed and Three Injured – Four miners were injured, one fatally, when the pithead at Burnhead coal mine, Avonbridge, Stirlingshire, suddenly collapsed at the week-end. The injured were:- Peter Shanks (28), Heatherdew, Longriggend; Robert Healey (21), 145 Main Street, Caldercruix; Gavin Millar (56). Old Main Street, Airdrie; and Alexander Finlay (44), Blackloch Farm, Limerigg. All were engaged at the pithead at the time, and as a result of the collapse they were thrown 21 feet to the ground. Finlay and Millar were able to climb out of the wreckage. Shanks and Healey, however were buried in timber and hutches, and when these were removed it was found that they were badly injured. Shanks, Millar, and Healey were removed to Glasgow Royal Infirmary, where Shanks died after admission. Millar and Healey have been detained suffering from severe head injuries. [Scotsman 21 December 1943]

15 February 1945

Killed After Month At Work - Mathew Martin 14-year-old son of Mathew Martin, works policeman, Edmonstone Drive, Kilsyth, after washing his tea can at Dumbreck Colliery where he was employed as a sampler, stepped back on the colliery railway to go to the canteen but was crushed, between two waggons and fatally injured. He had only been employed a month. [Evening Telegraph 15 February 1945]