Old Monkland Accidents 1870-1899

This section contains newspaper reports on selected accidents. Please check the indexes in the Accidents Section for details of Inspector of Mines reports and other accidents covered on the site.

6 July 1870

Fatal Accident – Thomas Baird, a collier, residing at Woodhall, who was severely burned by an explosion of fire-damp in Garden pit, Woodhall on Friday last, died on Wednesday from the effects of the injuries. [Hamilton Advertiser July 9 1870]

Holytown – Explosion of Fire Damp – On Friday an explosion of fire damp took place in Garden Coal Pit, Woodhall, near Holytown, by which a man named Thomas Baird, got himself very severely injured. It is stated that Baird had broke his pick shaft, and was proceeding through a portion of the workings where a board had been put up warning the men against fire. Notwithstanding this, however, the man persisted in going into the place with a naked lamp. He had not proceeded far when an explosion took place and the poor fellow was picked up in a very serious condition, having been burned on the face, breast and arms. Dr O'Hea, Airdrie, attended. [Hamilton Advertiser 9 July 1870]

6 July 1870

Pit Accident – On Wednesday last, Hugh Crichton, a collier residing at Rosehall, was severely injured while engaged at work in No 9 coal pit, Rosehall. He was proceeding along the workings when he was jammed between two hutches which were coming in opposite direction. He was severely bruised and several of his ribs were broken. [Hamilton Advertiser July 9 1870]

20 September 1870

Fatal Pit Accident – About 9 o'clock on Tuesday morning, Peter Thomson, oversman, Blair Bridge, was accidentally killed in No 4 Coal Pit, Drumpellier Ironworks. Deceased was ascending the pit in the cage, and when 106 fathoms from the bottom, the winding rope broke, and the unfortunate man was precipitated to the bottom and killed. His body was frightfully mangled. [Hamilton Advertiser 24 September 1870]

26 September 1870

Baillieston – Fatal Explosion of Fire Damp – On Monday morning a man named Joseph Gillespie, died from the effects of an accident which he met with in No 2 Coal pit, Calderbank, near Baillieston, on Saturday last. Gillespie, who resides in Baillieston, was proceeding to his work with a lighted lamp on the morning stated, when an explosion of firedamp took place, and he was thrown down and severely burned about the face, arms and body. Every available means was used to alleviate the suffering of the poor man, but after lingering in agony he expired, as above stated, on Monday morning. [Hamilton Advertiser 1 October 1870]

2 November 1870

Coatbridge – Accident – On Tuesday last, a miner named John Graham, belonging to Gartsherrie, sustained severe injuries by being dragged underneath a loaded hutch with which he had got entangled. His shoulders were severely bruised, and the skin of his breast tore off. [Hamilton Advertiser 5 November 1870]

2 November 1870

Coatbridge – Fatal Accident – At No 1 Bank Pit, Summerlee, on Tuesday forenoon, Thomas M'Guinnie was accidentally killed through the falling of a large quantity of coal under which he had been excavating. He leaves a widow and two children. [Hamilton Advertiser 5 November 1870]

3 November 1870

Baillieston – Pit Accident - On Wednesday forenoon as a number of men were working in a blind pit shaft at one of the Provanhill Company's pits at Nackerty, near Uddingston, the scaffolding on which they stood gave way and one of them, named Alex Wotherspoon, fell therefrom, a depth of fully 8 fathoms, and was very much injured. The shaft in which the men were engaged for boring purposes, is fully that height above the level of the pit, and the scaffolding gave way so suddenly that the men had hardly time to see what was happening. Wotherspoon fell upon the hard bottom. There was also much rubble lying near, on which he fell, and it is feared that the spine is much injured, and some of his ribs are broken. His legs are staved and his tongue is notched, a circumstance often attending falls of that kind. He could not move a limb, and after being carefully taken up the shaft, was conveyed home to Braehead near Baillieston, where medical attendance was procured. He is a middle aged man and has a wife and family. The other men engaged with him had a very narrow escape. They saved themselves by holding on to the gearing at reach until the men in the workings below came to their assistance. We may mention that this is the same pit in which an explosion of fire damp, with fatal consequences, took place a short time ago. [Hamilton Advertiser 5 November 1870]

31 December 1870

Coatbridge - Sad Death By Falling Down a Pit - A very sad death occurred on Saturday in the Tannel Coal Pit, Drumpellier, belonging to Messrs Henderson and Dimmack. A child of Michael Dollan, collier, Dundyvan, was taken down the pit, it being the belief in the district that whooping cough can be cured by the air of a coal pit. One of the party, a boy, 10 years of age, named John Dolan, having gone away in search of a drink of water, went towards the shaft. The party was on one of the upper levels, and the boy, not having observed the shaft, fell to the bottom of the pit, about 20 fathoms. He was killed instantaneously, his head being very much injured. [Hamilton Advertiser 7 January 1871]

20 January 1871

Fatal Accident - On Saturday afternoon, while James Carson, a collier, was working at the face in No. 2 Row Pit, Burnbank, an immense mass of rock, stated to weigh over five tons, fell from the roof, crushing him underneath. A considerable time elapsed before his body could be extricated, but from the appearance it presented it was obvious that death must have been instantaneous. [Falkirk Herald 26 January 1871]

March 1871

Pit Accidents At Rosehall – Martin Rooney, a collier residing at Rosehall met with an accident while at work in No 12 coal pit there on Thursday 23rd ult. He was engaged at his usual work when a fall of stones took place, bruising him very severely about various parts of his body. - On Monday an explosion of fire damp took place in No 10 coal and ironstone pit, Rosehall, whereby a miner named Hugh Richardson was bruised in a serious manner. He had gone out to his work at 6 o'clock, and had worked for about two hours before the accident took place. The explosion occurred while he was working at the “face” and the unfortunate man was thrown down and burned severely. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 1 April 1871]

27 March 1871

Baillieston – Serious Pit Accident – A young lad named Francis Williamson, about 15 years of age, met with a serious accident on Monday, while at work in No 1 coal pit Heatheryknowe. The poor boy was employed as a drawer in the pit, and while pursuing his ordinary avocation, a heavy fall of coal took place and he was buried beneath the mass and frightfully crushed. When rescued, it was found that besides other injuries, both his legs were broken, the left one in two places. He was removed and attended by Dr Wills, Baillieston. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 1 April 1871]

28 March 1871

Baillieston – Fatal Coal Pit Accident – On Tuesday morning, about 8 o'clock, a fatal accident occurred in No 9 pit, Mount Vernon Colliery, belonging to Mr John Young, Easterhouse near Baillieston, which resulted in the death of a miner named Robert Park, seventeen years of age, son of John Park, Shettleston. While Park was working at a coal facing, a large piece of coal fell upon him, and his head was so dreadfully crushed that death was instantaneous. His father was working in the pit at the time of the occurrence, which is said to have been purely accidental. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 1 April 1871]

24 May 1871

Coatbridge – Fatal Accident - Yesterday , a collier named James Wallace, residing at Langloan, Coatbridge , was instantaneously killed in No. 3 coal-pit , Kirkwood colliery, belonging to Mr John Hendrie. Wallace, along with several other miners, was engaged in bringing down a mass of coal from the root of the workings. All the supports had been removed, and the men were waiting the fall of the coal, when Wallace sprang forward to save a tin flask which was lying below the coal that was to be brought down. At that moment the mass fell upon him, burying him beneath it, and crushing him to death on the spot. [Scotsman 25 May 1871]

18 July 1871

Coatbridge – Pit Accident – On Tuesday, a miner named Robert Scott was severely injured in No 2 coal pit, Kirkwood Colliery, Coatbridge, by the fall of a quantity of coal from the roof. His right leg was broken above the knee. [Scotsman 20 July 1871]

3 February 1872

Baillieston – Serious Pit Accident – About 3 o'clock on Saturday morning, two colliers, John Ramsay and David Archibald, got themselves severely injured in No 2 Pit Bogleshole. The men had gone up from the bottom of the shaft in a “kettle” suspended from the cage to make some repairs in the shaft, when the chain broke, and they were precipitated to the bottom. Ramsay sustained a compound fracture of his thigh bone, so serious that he was removed to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, and had the injured limb amputated. Archibald's injuries, though not so dangerous as those of his companion, were nevertheless very severe, his left arm being broken and his back and legs much bruised. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 10 February 1872]

6 February 1872

Gartsherrie – Melancholy Pit Accident – Two Men Killed – On Monday forenoon a melancholy accident occurred at No 1 Coal Pit, Gartsherrie, by which two men came to a painful death. The men were all busy at their work as usual, and the pithead man – Thomas Greig, who is said to have been a very steady man – was superintending the drawing of the coals from the pit. About 11 o'clock a crash was heard, and it was discovered that the guides of one of the cages had given way. Greig, along with a labouring lad named Ferris, at once prepared to descend the shaft to obtain the assistance of the roadsman for the repair of the guides. They had descended almost to the bottom of the shaft when the whole of the heavy planting at the top of the shaft to which the guides are fastened gave way and fell upon their heads with a terrible crash, breaking through the roof of the cage and killing the men on the spot. The bodies of the unfortunate victims presented a frightful appearance, the head of one of them being entirely separated from the body, while the other had his skull torn off, and the head otherwise badly mutilated. Dr Farquharson, was promptly on the spot, but of course could give no assistance beyond dressing the bodies of the unfortunate men previous to internment. Greig the pitheadman was about 50 years of age, and has left a widow and six of a family, but Ferris was only about 20 years of age, and unmarried. Much sympathy is expressed for the bereaved family. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 10 February 1872]

9 March 1872

Fatal Pit Accident - Early on Saturday morning, a brusher, named John Doyle, residing at Baillieston, Airdrie, was instantaneously killed in No. 2 Coal-pit, Ellismuir, the property of the Provanhall Coal Company. Doyle, along with other brushers, was working during the night, and while engaged clearing the roads, a large stone fell on him from the roof. He never breathed after being extricated. [Falkirk Herald 14 March 1872]

18 April 1872

Fatal Pit Accident At Coatbridge – On Friday morning, about seven o’clock, Andrew Clarkson, underground manager, and a lad named Francis M’Lachlan, a drawer were instantaneously killed in No 3 coalpit, Drumpellier, belonging to Messrs WiIson & Co., of Summerlee Ironworks, Coatbridge. They were working near to the coal “face,” when a heavy mass of stones fell on them from the roof, burying them under it. Death was instantaneous [The Dundee Courier & Argus 22 April 1872]

COATBRIDGE - Fatal Pit Accident - Two Men Killed - About seven o'clock on Friday morning a melancholy accident took place in No. 3 Coal Pit, Drumpellier, resulting in the instant death of Andrew Clarkson, 47 years of age, underground manager, residing at Summerlee, and of Francis M'Lachlan, a drawer, 16 years of age, residing at Whifflet. The two were working near the coal face when a heavy fall of stone came away from the roof of the workings, completely burying them. When the debris was cleared away there was no evidence of life in either of the victims of the accident - death having apparently been instantaneous. [Falkirk Herald 25 April 1872]

26 July 1872

Fatal Pit Accident - On the evening of Friday, a fireman residing at Whifflet named George Carr was killed at No. 12 Pitt, Rosehall, by a fall of stones from the roof. [The Dundee Courier & Argus 30 July 1872]

7 February 1873

Coal Pit Flooded -Two Lives Lost - Late on Thursday night, two men, named Archibald M'Beth and James Moodie, descended No. 2 pit, Kenmure, belonging to James Dunlop & Son, for the purpose of commencing operations in the further sinking of the shaft. They had only been about an hour down when the engineman heard the signal given to draw up the cage. According to usage he signalled back, but getting no answer he cautiously drew the cage to bank, when he found it covered over with rubbish, but no trace of the two men. Peering down the shaft he heard the sound of rushing water, and the truth flashed upon him that the men in the working had struck into old workings in the vicinity , where a quantity of water was known to have accumulated. It is supposed that it will be three weeks before the water can be pumped out of the pit, and in the meanwhile there is little doubt but that both of the men have perished. The men in two other pits in the neighbourhood, belonging to the same proprietors, have been thrown idle by the pits having been suddenly flooded with water. Several ponies in the pit have also been lost. [Falkirk Herald - Thursday 13 February 1873]

13 March 1873

Fatal Pit Accident - A collier named John Scullion, residing in Coatbridge, was accidentally killed by a fall of stone from the roof while at work in No. 4 Coalpit, Drumpellier, belonging to Messrs Henderson & Dimmack. Death was instantaneous. [Falkirk Herald 22 March 1873]

28 May 1873

Fatal Pit Accident - On the 28th ult. a boy of fourteen years of age, named James Allan, residing with his widowed mother at Tollcross, met with a fatal accident at No. 4 coal pit, Bogleshole, belonging to Messrs James Dunlop & Co. Allan was employed as a pony driver in the pit, and while at work a stone fell on him from the roof, striking him on the head, and inflicting injuries of so severe a nature that he died shortly after. [Falkirk Herald - Thursday 5 June 1873]

31 May 1873

Man Killed - About eight o'clock on Friday morning, a man named John Battles, residing at Whifflet, was accidentally killed in No. 2 Coalpit, Souterhouse, belonging to Mr Pettigrew. Deceased was employed at the "wheel brae" (a steep incline in the pit worked with ropes), and had stepped on the line before two loaded hutches that were slowly descending, intending to step off before they reached him. However, the coupling chain of the hutches broke in an instant, and one of the loaded hutches thus disengaged came down with great velocity, running over Battles, and severely crushing him about the legs and body. He was removed home, but despite every attention, he died about three hours afterwards. [Falkirk Herald - Thursday 5 June 1873]

18 November 1873

Fatal Pit Accident -An accident took place on Tuesday in the B Coal Pit, Rosehall, which resulted in instant death to a boy of thirteen years of age, named Patrick Laiden, who had only recently begun to work in the pit. He was sitting at one of the landings in the shaft smoking his pipe, and in rising forgot his proximity to the shaft, and stepping back, was precipitated down the shaft, 13 fathoms, being killed on the spot. [Falkirk Herald 22 November 1873]

9 January 1874

Baillieston – Fatal Pit Accident – A young man named George Davies was on Friday last killed in the coal pit at Heatheryknowe, and another narrowly escaped a similar fate. Davies was employed as a drawer in the pit and was bringing a hutch of coal along a road to the shaft in one of the upper coal seams, when first the hutch and then he himself were precipitated to the bottom of the shaft – a distance of 42 fathoms. Another drawer who came shortly after Davies, and, like him, never thought that the shaft was near, suddenly felt the hutch elude his grasp. In the case of Davies death was instantaneous, and as the other hutch fell on top of him he was mutilated. [Hamilton Advertiser 17 January 1874]

Glasgow Circuit Court - The Court resumed its sitting yesterday morning. - Alleged Culpable Murder - John Ramsay, fireman or overman, residing at Cuilhill , Old Monkland, was charged with the crime of culpable homicide, as also culpable violation or neglect of duty. The indictment set forth that the prisoner was employed as overman in No. 2 pit, Heatheryknowe colliery, Old Monkland, and his duty was to keep safe and efficient the shaft and relative fittings of the pit; that on the 8th and 9th January last he permitted the entrance from the shaft to the splint coal workings, being 42 fathoms from the bottom of the shaft, to remain unfenced. In consequence of the alleged neglect, George Davies, a drawer, who was engaged drawing a loaded hutch to the entrance of the workings, fell down the shaft, a distance of 42 fathoms, whereby his skull was fractured, and both his legs broken, and he was otherwise so severely injured that he soon after died. The accused pleaded not guilty, and was defended by Mr M'Kechnie.

William Brennan , drawer remembered seeing George Davies on the 9th January in the pit. When Davies and witness were pulling their hutches to the lye there was no light, and their lamps went out. The deceased's hutch fell down the shaft in consequence of a fence known as "a policeman" not being on. Had the fence been on his hutch could not have tumbled down the shaft.

By Mr M'Kechnie - Witness and the deceased commenced work before the bottomer or fireman were present that morning. If they had waited for the bottomer witness did not think Davies would have tumbled down the shaft. Thomas Johnstone, drawer ; Thomas Culley, collier ; and Patrick Farrell, drawer, spoke as to the fence having been off for some weeks previous to the accident. Dennis Cairns, bottomer, in answer to Mr M'Kechnie, said the miners had no right to commence work when the bottomer was not present. He was not supplied with a copy of the rules until after the accident occurred, but the rules were hung up at the pithead, although he never read them. Lindsay Smith, miner, deponed to acting as bottomer on the morning of Davies' death. He was acting as bottomer about two mouths previously when the fence got out of order, and was taken off. By Mr M'Kechnie - Witness lifted up the fence when it fell down, and put it at the side of the road. It was his duty to report to the manager or overman that the fence had been removed by him, but he did not do so.

By the Advocate-Depute - He spoke to Dennis Cairns, the regular bottomer, about the fence, and Cairns told witness he spoke to Ramsay about it, A number of other witnesses were examined for the prosecution. The prisoner in his declaration said he did not consider it his duty to see that the fences were on the shaft. For the defence Thos. Gibb, formerly manager of Heatheryknowe Pit, deponed that he did not think the person in charge of the shaft had anything to do with the fences or " policemen " at the entrance of the seam. George M'Raith deponed that he was a mining engineer , and had been manager of a mine for more than three years. He did not think the shaftsman had anything to do with the fences at the end of the seams. If a bottomer had been appointed when the fence was taken away, he did not think it possible that any accident such as the one that befel Davies could have occurred, Malcolm M'Farlane, underground mine manager, gave somewhat similar evidence. Other witnesses were examined, but there was little of importance in their evidence. His lordship, in summing up, said he thought the particular work at which the panel was engaged had not been satisfactorily managed. There ought to have been, in his opinion, a far clearer division of labour , and a proper overman really in the position of underground manager. He left these things for the jury's consideration. In his opinion they tended to diminish the blame attaching to the accused, if not to take it away. The jury, after a, short absence from court returned a verdict by a majority, finding the panel not guilty. The verdict was received with applause. [Scotsman 28 April 1874]

19 January 1874

A shocking incident resulting in the instant death of three men took place on Monday, in No 10 coalpit, Rosehall, Airdrie, belonging to Messrs Robert Addie & Sons, Langloan. Three colliers, named Peter Duffy, Alexander Mays, and a son of the latter named Robt. Mays, were employed at work excavating coal, when a large quantity of coal and rubbish, weighing fully three tons, fell from the roof upon them, completely burying them. When extricated, it was found that life was extinct in all three cases, their bodies being dreadfully crushed and mangled. [Hamilton Advertiser 24 January 1874]

1 July 1874

Shocking Pit Accident – Two colliers, residing in Gartsherrie, named respectively John Gillespie and William Forsyth, were on Wednesday afternoon accidentally killed in No 3 coal pit, belonging to Messrs Wm Baird & Co. The deceased were at work removing the “stoops” left in the working of the coal, when a large portion of the roof came down on them, burying them. Death was, of course, instantaneous. [Hamilton Advertiser 4 July 1874]

14 August 1874

Fatal Pit Accident - On Thursday, an accident took place in No. 11 Coalpit, Drumpellier, whereby one man was killed and two others injured. The three men in question were at their work when a heavy quantity of rubbish fell on them from the roof. One of them, a collier named William Jenkins, was killed on the spot. The other two, who are named Michael Marley and Richard Samuel Coffin, were much crushed and bruised about the body, but their injuries are not expected to prove fatal. [Falkirk Herald 20 August 1874]

19 May 1875

Coatbridge - Serious Colliery Accident - On Wednesday morning, an explosion of fire-damp took place in No. 1 Coalpit, Souterhouse, which resulted in serious injury to two colliers - Wm. Black, residing at Langloan, and James Lavery, residing at New Dundyvan. The injured men were at work on a scaffolding about four fathoms from the bottom of the pit, driving new mines, when a quantity of fire-damp that had accumulated under the scaffolding was ignited by their lamps, and an explosion of an alarming kind followed. The scaffold was blown down by the force of the "blast," and the men fell to the bottom. Their injuries, however, were confined to burns from the fire-damp. [Glasgow Herald 21 May 1875]

17 July 1875

Fatal Firedamp Explosion at Coatbridge – Three Men Killed - An explosion of firedamp occurred in No. 4 pit, Drumpellier, Coatbridge, on Friday, by which three men - Charles Richardson, oversman, aged 21; John Richardson, fireman, 23; and Arthur Moffat, roadsman, 24 - lost their lives, and another man, James Gillespie, was seriously injured. It seems that the unfortunate men were engaged building up an air-course wall, about 150 fathoms from the mine, between the splint and the kiltongue coal, and were removing a wooden bratticing and putting up a brick one to make it more secure. Another workman in the pit came to the pithead about half-past one and informed the manager, Mr Russell, that he was afraid something serious had happened below. The manager, along with some other workmen, immediately descended the shaft, and at the bottom found that a fire-damp explosion had occurred. After exploring the mine they came upon Gillespie, being in a very .exhausted, state, and was at once removed home to his residence. After much difficulty Moffat and the brothers Richardson were taken out from amongst the debris when it was found that they were quite dead. Their dead bodies were immediately conveyed home. The three unfortunate men all leave wives and families to mourn their untimely end. It appears that the manager warned them no later than Thursday afternoon not to go to their work. [Scotsman 19 July 1875]

29 July 1875

Coatbridge - Serious Accident - Yesterday morning, while marriage rejoicings were going on at Souterhouse Colliery, a large iron nut from which shots were being fired with gunpowder burst, and a piece of the iron struck a boy named Edward Dugan, 14 years of age. Drs Wilson and Adam were in attendance, but the injured lad is not expected to live. [Glasgow Herald 30 July 1875]

9 September 1875

Coatbridge - Fatal Pit Accident - On Thursday, a collier named Patrick Kilmartin residing at Greenend, was accidentally killed in the Store coalpit, Calder Iron works, near Coatbridge. Deceased was working as usual at the coal face when a heavy mass of coal fell, and crushed him to death [Glasgow Herald 11 September 1875]

12 November 1875

Coatbridge - Pit Accidents - A man named John Gibson, employed as fireman in the Heathery Knowe Coalpit, belonging to the Heathery Knowe Coal Company, was on Thursday accidentally killed by a fall of stones from the roof. Yesterday morning, a miner named Hugh Duffy, while at work in No. 8 Coalpit, Carnbroe, belonging to Messrs Merry & Cunninghame, was struck by a heavy piece of coal that fell from the roof, and had his collar-bone dislocated. [Glasgow Herald 13 November 1875]

9 March 1876

Coatbridge Pit Accident - Two men named James Wright and Henry Tappin were on Thursday severely burned while at work in No 3 Pit, Rosehall. They were making some repairs in an air course, and were carrying naked lamps, when a quantity of fire damp exploded burning them severely. [Herald March 11 1876]

30 August 1876

Yesterday afternoon a fatal accident occurred in Mainhill Pit, Bargeddie, near Coatbridge. It was stated that the contractor until William Baird & Co, to whom the pit belongs, accompanied by William Stevenson, mining engineer, had been engaged measuring the work done for the month, previous to the settlement, when a violent explosion took place. The onlays would appear to have been charged with fire damp, and as the men used naked lamps, an explosion of a violent nature resulted. When the men, employed in some distant working, alarmed by the explosion, arrived at the spot, they found Stevenson under a mass of stones torn from the roof, one of his arms being fractured in three places, and quite dead from the effects of after damp. The contractor, who was further along the mine, was also in a deplorable condition, and very little hopes are entertained of his recovery. The utmost sympathy is expressed for Stevensons family, as he was a young man of considerable ability, and had the supervision of the famous “Gartsherrie Coal-Cutting Machine”. Many a visitor to the “steam colliers” of Gartsherrie will learn with regret of the melancholy and untimely death of William Stevenson, the talented but unpretending mining engineer. [Herald 31st August 1876]

2 December 1876

Fatal Accident At Kirkwood - On Saturday morning, an accident occurred at Kirkwood No 2 coal pit, resulting in the death of a man named John Fairman. Fairman was engaged working at his place at three o'clock in the morning when a fall came away from the roof, and a large stone crushed the poor fellow to the ground, killing him on the spot. [Glasgow Herald 4 December 1876]

24 January 1877

Fatal Pit Accident at Kirkwood - On Wednesday afternoon, a man named William Hendrie, a miner, working in No. 3 Coal Pit, Kirkwood, belonging to Mr John Hendrie, was killed by a large quantity of coal and stones falling upon him. He was unmarried. [Falkirk Herald 27 January 1877]

22 August 1878

Fatal Pit Accident At Baillieston - On Thursday an unfortunate accident occurred at a coalpit near to Baillieston, whereby Alexander Robertson, residing in Maryston Square, lost his life. Deceased, who was bottomer in the pit, was engaged putting a hutch on the cage, for the purpose of being raised to the pithead, when the engine was suddenly put in motion before he had got it properly adjusted. He was caught by the ascending cage, and received severe injuries, from which he shortly afterwards expired. [Aberdeen Journal - Monday 26 August 1878]

24 July 1879

Fatal firedamp Explosion at Coatbridge - Early on Thursday morning a miner named John Thomson, residing in Dundyvan Rd Coatbridge, was accidentally killed by an explosion of firedamp in No 5 Coalpit, Drumpellier, belonging to Messrs Henderson & Dimmock, coal and iron masters. It appears that the deceased, along with another fireman named James Irvine, residing in Buchanan Street, Coatbridge, had gone down the pit for the purpose of seeing if it was free of firedamp previous to the miners commencing work. The two men separated at the pit bottom, each taking a different direction, and shortly afterwards Irvine heard the report of the explosion when, it is believed, Thomson lost his life. Both men carried a Davy and naked lamp. [Hamilton Advertiser July 26 1879]

1 November 1879

Edward Docherty, miner, has been killed at Kirkwood Colliery, by a fall of the roof upon him when removing stoops from a working. [Scotsman 4 November 1879]

7 March 1882

Fatal Pit Accident Near Baillieston - A fatal accident occurred on Tuesday at No 1 coal pit, Bartonshill Colliery, Old Monkland parish. It appears that John Owen, an oversman in the pit, residing at Bargeddie, was descending the pit in the cage. While the descent was being made the engine-keeper observed that there was something wrong in the shaft, as the rope began to jerk, and he immediately stopped his engine. The man who was in charge at the pit bottom, wondering what was wrong, shouted up the pit to know the cause, and receiving no answer he began climbing up the shaft. About 40 fathoms up he came on the cage and found Owens lying in it. He asked him what was wrong, and how he came by the accident, but received no reply. The cage was immediately brought to the surface, but Owens died about 20 minutes after. His ribs were found to be crushed, one of his arms broken, besides other injuries on various parts of his body. The accident is supposed to have happened by Owens leaning out of the cage and being caught between it and the side of the shaft, although the real cause of the accident is not known. [Scotsman 8th March 1882]

4 April 1882

Fatal Pit Accident at Nackerty - On Tuesday morning, John Donaldson, a labourer, aged about 40, residing at the village of Nackerty, in the parish of Old Monkland, met with an accident by which he was instantaneously killed. He had been engaged in pushing a loaded hutch along the gangway to “skree,” and apparently put too much force on, as when he attempted to check he failed, and was dragged over the gangway, a distance of over 13 feet. Falling upon his head, his neck was dislocated, and he was killed on the spot. The body was removed to the lodgings of the deceased. [Scotsman 6 April 1882]

14 June 1882

Fatal Pit Accident Near Coatbridge - Yesterday morning a report was handed in to the county police authorities at Airdrie stating that an accident had occurred at Summerlee (Kirkwood) Coal pit, whereby Neil M’Mullen, a labourer, was so severely injured that he has since died. He was engaged in sending some loaded wagons down an incline, when he somehow got jammed between the buffers, which became locked, and he was fixed for some time. When released he complained of being very much hurt about the back and breast, and was conveyed home in a cab. Dr Wilson attended him, but he died afterwards of the injuries received. [Scotsman 20 June 1882]

23rd August 1882

Fatal Colliery Accident Near Baillieston - Yesterday, at No.l pit, Netherhouse colliery, near Baillieston, a collier, named Adam Steen, residing at West Merryston was killed. He was working in the Kiltongue seam of the pit, when a large mass of stone, weighing about two tons, came away suddenly from the roof, burying the unfortunate man beneath it. Some fellow workmen who saw the accident got Steen extricated as quickly as possible; but the man had been killed on the spot. [Scotsman 24th August 1882]

August 1882

Coatbridge – Serious Pit Accident at Kirkwood - Information was on Saturday lodged with the county police at Airdrie of an accident which had occurred in No. 3 Newlands pit. Bernard Polland, a drawer, 16 years of age, had been swinging on a stick which had got jammed in a stone, when the stone loosened and fell on him, breaking his left leg above the knee. [Scotsman 28 August 1882]

4 April 1884

Coatbridge – Man Killed At Drumpellier Colliery – On Thursday last week, when a collier named John Ruse was engaged at his usual occupation in No 3 Pit Drumpellier, a heavy fall of coal came away from the roof, smashing him underneath. His son-in-law, who was working with him, attempted to extricate him, but unsuccessfully, till assistance arrived. A medical man was sent for, but the poor fellow lived only a few minutes after being released. He leaves a wife and grown-up family.[Hamilton Advertiser 12 April 1884]

Airdrie – Fatal Pit Accident – Yesterday morning an elderly miner, named John Rouse, who resided at Drumpellier, was killed by a fall of coal from the roof of No 3 and 4 coal pit, Drumpellier. Some time elapsed before he could be extricated, and he expired before he reached the pithead. [Edinburgh Courant 9 April 1884]

26 June 1884

Fatal Pit Accident Near Baillieston - Yesterday morning the brushers foreman of a large section of the Provanhall Coal Company's Newlands Pit, near Baillieston, was, after a search found choked or crushed to death in what is called an air-course. He had apportioned all his men their work on Wednesday night, and evidently had gone to inspect the airway. He leaves a wife and family and was much respected. [Edinburgh Courant 27 June 1884]

5 September 1885

Baillieston - Explosion of Fire Damp – Two Men Severely Burned – An explosion of fire-damp occurred on Saturday in an old working near the top bench of No 3 Heatheryknowe Coalpit, belonging to Messrs James M'Naughton & Son. Two men who were at work in the place at the time were very severely burned all over the body. Their names are James Haddow and Andrew Robertson, residing at Cuilhill and West Maryston respectively. Haddow had entered the disused portion of the pit with a naked lamp, which caused the accident. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser September 12 1885]

5 September 1885

Young Lad Crushed To Death – James Lawrie, 16, residing at Bank Row, Clyde Square, Parish of Old Monkland, met his death by an accident at No 2 Ryan Pit, Clyde Works, the property of James Dunlop & Co., on Saturday. He had been engaged filling a waggon with ashes, and had somehow got in between two trucks, when he was accidentally caught between the buffers and very severely crushed. The poor fellow immediately dropped down. On being asked by one of his fellow workmen if he was much hurt, he merely said - “Jock, I'm done for,” and expired. Dr Scott, Tollcross, was at once sent for, and he stated that the injuries sustained internally were such as to have caused instantaneous death. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser September 12 1885]

9 September 1885

Baillieston – Pit Accident At Ellismuir – On Wednesday an accident occurred at No 3 coalpit Ellismuir, whereby a drawer named Wm Campbell, residing at Hogg's Land, Baillieston, got his right leg broken. He had been standing in the main road in Cousie Brae in front of five empty hutches, when a loaded hutch at the head of the incline came down. In hurrying to get out of the way Campbell got entangled with the wire rope and fell, the hutch passing over his leg and breaking it. Dr Willis was in attendance, and ordered the removal of Campbell to the Royal Infirmary. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser September 12 1885]

2 November 1885

Baillieston – Sad Pit Accident – Two Men Killed – About 9 o'clock on Monday night, a sad accident occurred in the shank of No 2 coal pit Ellismuir, near Baillieston, the property of the Provanhall Coal Company, two men named Michael O'Keefe, 40 and Nicol Morris, 34 , both pit sinkers, residing at Crosshill, Baillieston, having lost their lives. It appears the shaft of the pit was in course of enlargement and the two men named were employed at this upon a scaffold fixed on the shaft. They were working with picks cutting the side of the shaft, when, through some unforeseen circumstance, a heavy fall of stones and rubbish came down on top of them. The result was that the scaffold broke away with the two men who were precipitated to the bottom of the shaft, a depth of 70 fathoms, where they were afterwards found lying half buried among the debris, very severely mangled and bruised. It is stated that the wood of the scaffold was quite fresh when broken, so the force of the falling debris must have been considerable. The bodies of the unfortunate men were removed home early next morning in coffins, and were seen by Dr Willis Baillieston. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser November 7 1885]

22 March 1886

Man Killed in Coal Pit – On Monday afternoon, a miner named John Morgan (30) residing at Merryston Square, Coatbridge, was killed in Drumpellier Coal Pit (No 4). he had been working at the “face” when a stone, weighing 15cwt., fell upon him from the roof and crushed him to death. He leaves a widow and two young children. [Hamilton Advertiser March 27 1886]

5 June 1886

Pit Accident – On Saturday Robert Kearney, 70, collier, residing at Front Row, Rosehall, was seriously injured while working at the “face” in the Pyotshaw seam of coal, No 10 Pit, Rosehall. A large quantity of rubbish came down upon him from the roof, his right shoulder being dislocated, and the bone broken and pressed into his body. He also sustained severe internal injuries. Fortunately, Mr Smith the colliery manager, was at hand, and from his ambulance training had the man very efficiently attended to before the arrival of Dr McPhail, who afterwards examined the injuries and ordered the removal of the sufferer to the Royal Infirmary.[Hamilton Advertiser June 12 1886]

July 1886

Pit Accident - A lad named Bernard McIlinden, residing in Rosehall, Whifflet, had his legs severely crushed and his thigh bone broken by tumbling off a train of hutches running along the workings of No 4 Rosehall Pit. [Hamilton Advertiser July 17 1886]

31 August 1886

Fatal Boiler Explosion – On Tuesday afternoon a fatal boiler explosion occurred at Kirkwood Colliery near Coatbridge. Shortly after 12 o'clock the workmen of the colliery were alarmed by a loud report and a sudden and violent rush of steam. When this had cleared away it was discovered that the boiler at No 1 pit had exploded and had been rent in twain, one half rising in the air and crashing through the smithy, over 60 yards distant, killing one man named Wm. Gibson on the spot and injuring three others. Gibson was a young man and only recently married. [Hamilton Advertiser September 4 1886]

31 December 1886

Fatal Accident – While a boy named David Hogg or Geekie, residing at Dykeside, Coatbridge, was driving a pony with a train of hutches in Scrawhill Pit on Friday, he fell off the front of the first hutch, and was run over. He appeared, when discovered, to have been instantaneously killed. [Hamilton Advertiser January 1 1887]

18 July 1887

Coatbridge – Suicide of an Engineman – On Monday night, Robert Waddell, 70, engineman, Luggiebank, committed suicide by hanging himself with a rope from the rafters in the enginehouse at No 5 pit, Braehead, Old Monkland, near Coatbridge [Hamilton Advertiser July 23 1887]

21 February 1888

Fall From A Pithead At Coatbridge - Yesterday the authorities were informed that a lad named Andrew Hunter , residing at Dundyvan Road, Coatbridge, had fallen from the top of the pithead at No. 1 Souterhouse colliery, and alighted on the iron plates below - a fall of 11 feet. He received severe injuries , among which was the fracture of his right thigh bone. He was removed to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. [Scotsman 22 February 1888]

March 1888

On Saturday the authorities at Airdrie were apprised of the occurrence of three somewhat serious accidents.....Edward Quin, miner, Baillieston, was burned by an explosion of fire-damp in an old disused road of No. 1 pit Springhill colliery. [Scotsman 12 March 1888]

19 May 1888

John Paterson, miner, Crosshill, Baillieston, has been killed by a fall of coal from the roof of No 2 pit, Aitkenhead Colliery (Provanhall Coal Company's), near Baillieston. [Scotsman 22 May 1888]

June 1888

Pit Accidents Near Coatbridge - Yesterday a married man, named Francis Degnon, Tannochside Rows, was so severely injured by a fall of stone from the roof of No. 2 Ford pit, that he died after being brought up the shaft. Yesterday morning, a lad about 16 named Archibald Burns, met his death in a pit between Broomhouse and Baillieston. While at work he had occasion to cross what is called a "blind shaft," which was covered with sleepers; but his foot slipped, and he fell a distance of fifteen fathoms. When rescued he was so terribly injured that he expired before he could be got to the pit bank. Joseph Haggart, a young miner, belonging to Cuilhill, got himself very seriously injured internally, his back bruised, and his thigh bone fractured, by an accident in Heathery Known Pit, [Scotsman 14 June 1888]

15 June 1888

Two Miners Seriously Injured - Yesterday it was reported that two men named David Adamson (35), a collier, residing in Coathill Street, and Alexander Flanigan (30), collier, Rosehall, had been badly injured in Rosehall colliery by falls from the roof. One of Adamson's legs had to be amputated. [Scotsman 16 June 1888]

20 December 1888

Yesterday John Davis, a fireman, residing at Nackerty, was killed by a fall from the roof in No 3 pit, Aitkenhead Colliery, near Coatbridge. [Scotsman 21 December 1888]

13 October 1891

Miner Killed - Yesterday it was reported by the authorities that a pit drawer named Charles M'Kay (24), residing in Kirkwood, had been killed in No. 1 pit of the Kirkwood Coal Company. The check prop had got out and let a rake of seven hutches run back into a side lye where M'Kay was at work, the result being that the unfortunate man was jammed up between the loaded hutches and the wall and crushed to death. [Scotsman 15 October 1891]

9 April 1895

Miner Killed At Baillieston – A miner named Robert Leitchman (32), residing at Baird's Row, Cuilhill, was killed while at work in Hallhill Colliery, Baillieston, about 15 cwt of stone &c., having fallen upon him from the roof. [Scotsman 12 April 1895]

27 April 1895

Pit Oversman Killed - A serious accident has occurred in No. 1 Pit, Bredisholm colliery, belonging to the Glasgow Iron and Steel Company, whereby Robert Paterson (55), oversman, was killed , and another man, named John Noon, had a narrow escape. The oversman had broken up with dynamite a large stone that had fallen on the main. road, and was engaged with others removing the broken pieces when a heavy stone fell upon him from the roof, and also upon Noon. The latter, however, only sustained a slight injury, but Paterson was so seriously crushed that he expired on being taken to the pit head. [Scotsman 30 April 1895]

July 1895

Fatal Accident At Kirkwood - A boy named Thomas Martin Inglis, nearly twelve years old, and residing at 181 Buchanan Street, Coatbridge, was fatally injured at No 2 pit, Kirkwood colliery, where he had been with his brother's dinner. The lad had been crossing a line of railway between some waggons, when a waggon came up from the scree, and being caught between the colliding buffers, he was badly crushed at the neck and base of the skull. Death ensued in about ten minutes. [Scotsman 1 August 1895]

18 March 1897

Fatal Fall Down a Pit Shaft - Late on Thursday night a man who gave the name of John Holmes, about forty years of age, accidentally fell down the shaft of No. 2 pit, Kirkwood colliery, fifty-six fathoms deep, and was instantaneously killed. Deceased had been driving a hutch of gas coal from the bing to the cage, and not knowing that the gates were open and the cage on the top platform, the hutch went down the shaft and deceased with it. [Scotsman 20 March 1897]

3 September 1897

Fatal Mining Accident At Baillieston - A number of miners who were travelling up a " dook " in Broomhouse colliery on Saturday had a narrow escape in consequence of the haulage rope breaking. The loaded hutches ran down the incline with great velocity. Edward Cameron, a lad of seventeen, was knocked down by the first hutch, and instantly other five hutches were telescoped on the first one. Cameron was taken to the hill as soon as possible. He was found to be suffering from a crushed chest, broken ribs, and several wounds on the head. He died a few minutes after he was brought to the pit-bank. [Scotsman 6 September 1897]

29 September 1897

Fatal Fire-Damp Explosion - Bernard Rodger, fireman, Allan's Place, Bank Street, Langloan, has succumbed to injuries sustained in an explosion of fire-damp in No 11 Drumpellier Coal Pit, Kirkwood, belonging to the Summerlee and Mossend Company. The working place had been under examination with a naked light, when the explosion occurred and deceased was burned severely on the arms,hands, head, and face. He declined to be removed to the infirmary, and was treated at home under Dr Rennie. [Glasgow Herald 12 October 1897]

17 August 1898

Pit Explosion at Rosehall – Two miners named Walter Haddow, Crossgates, and George Haddow, Hamilton Road, Bellshill, have been severely burned by an explosion in No 7 Rosehall Colliery, belonging to Robert Addie & Sons. Walter was so severely burned that he was removed to the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. [Scotsman 19 August 1898]

1 November 1898

Baillieston Miner Killed – About midnight yesterday a fatal mining accident happened in Calderbank Colliery. A brusher, named Hugh Nunn, 25 years of age, was instantaneously killed by a fall of stones from the roof. [Scotsman 3 November 1898]

16 March 1899

Miner Seriously Injured - James Callachan (40), miner, Merryston Square, Coatbridge, has been seriously injured in Messrs Addie's Rosehall Colliery. He had been securing his working place with props when a stone, weighing 1 ½ cwt., fell upon his head and left shoulder, crushing him badly and rendering him unconscious. He was removed, to the Royal Infirmary in the ambulance. [Glasgow Herald March 16, 1899]

17 November 1899

On Friday evening about half past seven,a fireman named Samuel McEwan (32) 118 Whifflet Street, Coatbridge was killed by falling down the shaft at No 3 Pit, Rosehall Colliery owned by Messrs Robert Addie and Sons Ltd, a distance of fourteen fathoms. It appears that they were sinking a shaft from the main to the splint coal seam. The deceased was engaged receiving and dispatching hutches at the higher seam and there was a guard drawn across the entrance to the shaft for safety. McEwan took off a hutch and drew on this guard. When he was away the guard somehow came off and when he returned, the hutch and man fell over the shaft. Before he fell over , McEwan shouted to his comrades below, warning them of the danger they ran by the falling hutch. Deceased leaves a widow and three young children. [Coatbridge Express 25 November 1899, with thanks to J Mullett for this article]

2 December 1899

Miner Killed At Coatbridge - On Saturday a miner named John Duffy, residing at Dundyvan Road, Coatbridge, was killed by a fall of coal from the roof in Souterhouse Colliery (No. 1 pit). His son and a half-brother were also caught in the fall, but escaped without injury. [Glasgow Herald 4 December 1899]