16th Nov 1932 - Cardowan, Stepps

11 men were killed by an explosion:

  • William Bradley, colliery hewer, 30, single
  • Michael Flynn, colliery hewer, 28, single
  • Peter Frati (formerly Jacobelli), oncostman, 21, married
  • William McAlister, coal hewer, 33, single
  • John McNab, coal hewer, 30, married
  • James McVey, colliery hewer, 22, single
  • Richard Maroney, coal hewer, 18, single
  • George Mullen, colliery hewer, 28, married
  • James Reynolds, coal hewer, 43, single
  • John Watt, jun, colliery hewer, 26, single
  • John Whiteford, colliery shot firer, 41, married

Newspaper Reports

Pit Explosion at Glasgow- Four killed and ten injured
Four men were killed and 10 others badly burned this morning in an explosion at Cardowan Colliery, Stepps, near Glasgow. The condition of several of the injured is critical. The explosion occurred about 9 o'clock, when the day shift had been at work for 2 hours.

The names of the dead are:-

John McNab, Blantyre; Richard Moroney, Coatbridge; J Reynolds, Wishaw; William McAllister, Shettleston

Those injured are:- John Sharp, Stepps; William Rae, Glenboig; Michael Flynn, Shettleston; A Murphy, Townhead; William Bradley, Blantyre; Peter Fratti, Baillieston; John Watt, jun, Baillieston; James McVey, Baillieston; John Whiteford, Baillieston; George Mullen, Glasgow

All but Murphy, who was allowed home after treatment, were detained in the Royal Infirmary suffering from severe burning to the head, legs and arms.

An official statement issued by the management of Messrs James Dunlop & Co states that the explosion occurred shortly before 9 o'clock in No 1 pit in the main coal seam in the main west level. It is believed to have been caused by a pocket of gas being ignited by shot firing. There was no fire after the explosion, and officials of the company were able to enter the area affected and render aid to the injured and bring them to the surface. Doctors and adequate ambulance facilities were available and the injured were despatched without delay to the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. Al the victims had been recovered before the rescue brigade arrived from Hamilton.

There were 70 men working in the section where the explosion occurred, and some of them had remarkable escapes.

About a year ago an explosion occurred in the east section of the same pit, and two men were injured. [Times 17 November 1932]

The Glasgow Pit Explosion - Death Roll of Eight
Four of the ten miners who were seriously injured in the Cardowan Colliery Explosion at Stepps, near Glasgow on Wednesday morning have since died bringing the death roll to eight.

Three of the men succumbed to their severe burning injuries between midnight and 6 o'clock yesterday morning in the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, and the fourth died yesterday afternoon.

Their names are:-

George Mullen, Glasgow; William Bradley, Blantyre; Peter Fratti, Baillieston; John Watt, jun, Baillieston

John Whiteford, Baillieston and Michael Flynn, Shettleston, were still in a critical condition last evening. James McVey, Baillieston, was reported to be gradually weakening; and William rae, Glenboig, was improving. There were anxious inquiries about the condition of the injured and many of the men's comrades called at the infirmary to see them.

The whole of Cardowan Colliery was closed down yesterday. After the explosion the day shift was recalled from all workings and the night shift was not allowed to resume on Wednesday night. It is not known how long the colliery will be idle, but over 500 men are affected by the stoppage. [Times 18 November 1932]

Two further deaths have brought the death roll in the Cardowan Colliery explosion at Stepps, near Glasgow, to 10.  The latest victims are James McVey and John Whiteford, both of Baillieston. [ Times 19 November 1932]

The death roll in the explosion which occurred at Cardowan Colliery, Stepps, has now increased to 11. On Saturday the seventh of the nine injured men who were admitted to Glasgow Royal Infirmary succumbed to his injuries. He was Michael Flynn (28), of 1169 Shettleston Road, Glasgow, who was severely burned.

On inquiry at the institution yesterday it was learned that the two remaining injured - John Sharp, 6 Edward Place, Stepps, and William.Rae, 157 Annathill, Glenboig - were making satisfactory progress.

Pathetic scenes have been witnessed at Glasgow Royal Infirmary since the injured men were admitted, relatives keeping constant vigil at their bedsides, and some collapsing under the strain and anxiety.

Shettleston Co-operative Society members have decided to make a grant of £50 towards relief work, and to urge the Lord-Lieutenant of the County to open a relief fund.[Scotsman 21 November 1932]