Misc. Lanarkshire Accidents 1871-1880

This section contains newspaper reports on selected accidents in miscellaneous areas of Lanarkshire between 1871 and 1880 inclusive. Please check the indexes in the Accidents Section for reports by the Inspector of Mines and accidents in other areas.

30 March 1871

Newarthill – Fatal Accident – On Tuesday afternoon, John Pettigrew, 13 years of age, residing with his father at Newarthill, was fatally injured at No 1 Linndridge Pit, belonging to Messrs Forrester and Robson. He was, along with his father, engaged taking out stoops, when a large mass of coal came unexpectedly away on him, breaking his leg and severely injuring him internally. He was conveyed home and attended by Dr Jones, but he died that night. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 1 April 1871]

31 March 1871

Wishaw – Narrow Escape – On Friday 31st ult, a man named Richard M'Culloch, pit bottomer at Messrs Forresters and Robsons No 1 Lindridge Pit, was in the act of taking up a piece of coal that had fallen to the pit bottom, the cage came down on him, but he escaped with the fracture of his ankle. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 8 April 1871]

5 April 1871

Wishaw – Accident – On Wednesday, while a miner named James M'Donald, residing at Muirhouses, Newmains, was working in Whitetrope Pit, a large stone came away on him, bruising him severely about the back and injuring his spine. [Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser 8 April 1871]

29 June 1871

Serious Accident – An accident, which it is feared will prove fatal, occurred on Thursday afternoon to a boy named John Evans at No 1 coal pit, Motherwell Colliery. Evans had volunteered to assist in the “snibbling” of some loaded coal waggons, and while they were in motion, he was struck by the snibble and thrown on the ground before them. Several of the waggon wheels passed over his left arm, and crushed it so severely that it had to be amputated. [Scotsman 1 July 1871]

30 June 1871

Motherwell – Singular and Fatal Accident A singular occurrence took place shortly after nine o'clock yesterday morning in No, 2 coal pit , belonging to Messrs Merry and Cunningham , at North Motherwell. An old man, named James Maxwell, employed on the night shift as tube-man in the pit, at the expiry of his hours of labour gave the usual signal to be hoisted to the surface . The engine was put slowly into motion, but upon the arrival of the cage at the pit mouth , it was found to be empty. Maxwell being the only one in the pit at the time, a fireman and a miner descended and found the old man lying on his face in the cage seat at the bottom of the pit , with blood flowing from his mouth and ears and life quite extinct. It is supposed that death had been caused by the deceased falling while in the act of stepping into the cage. He was 79 years of age, a widower and residing at Logan's Row, Motherwell. [Scotsman 1 July 1871]

9 July 1871

Glasgow – Three Men Scalded to Death - Yesterday morning three engineers in the employment of Mr W.S .Dixon, Glasgow , named John Boyd , Robert Reid, and John Binning, while engaged making repairs on the engine in connection with a pit in the neighbourhood of Rutherglen, were so severely scalded by the bursting of a pipe that two of them were killed instantaneously , and the third died while being conveyed to the Infirmary. The men, it appears, had neglected to let the steam off at the boiler before commencing operations. [Scotsman 10 July 1871]

Three engineers were killed yesterday at a colliery near Rutherglen by a sudden escape of steam from a boiler which they were repairing. [Glasgow Herald 10 July 1871]

Serious Accident In A Pit Near Rutherglen - Three Men Killed - Early yesterday morning, a serious accident occurred at a pit (No. 6) belonging to Mr W.S, Dixon, situate close to the road, about a mile west from Rutherglen, known as the Mallsmyre Road whereby three men who were working there at the time lost their lives. The unfortunate men were engineers in the employment of Mr Dixon, and when the occurrence took place were engaged making some repairs on the steam-valves of boilers in connection with the works, It is not known exactly how the men came by their death, as there was no other person about the works at the time; but a subsequent inspection of the place, and the position in which the bodies were found, lead to the supposition that the accident had been occasioned by the proper precautions which the nature of the operations the men were engaged in demanded, not having been taken. The repairs which required to be made necessitated the removal of the cover of the valve, and in order to do this with safety - a heavy pressure of steam being on at the time - the steam ought to have been let off at the boilers, but this it appears the men had neglected to do, and it was when they were in the act of taking the bolts out of the cover, which is attached to the valve, that the accident occurred. As soon as the cover was removed the steam escaped in great volumes, and the men being unable to make their way out of the premises in which they were working were so severely scalded that two of them died almost instantly, the third expiring while being conveyed to the Infirmary. Immediately after the occurrence the foreman of the work, who lives in the neighbourhood, attracted by the volumes of steam issuing from the place went and let off the steam at the boilers. By this time a number of people had come to his assistance and looked for the men who had been working, and found that two of them - Robert Reid and John Binning - were already dead. The other, whose name is John Boyd, was still in life, and steps were instantly taken for his removal to the infirmary, but, as we have already stated, he died while being conveyed thither. All the men, it may be mentioned; were practical tradesmen. Boyd, who was a widower, lived in the Cowcaddens,Glasgow; Reid, who leaves a wife and a large family, resided in South Wellington Street; and Binning, who is a young man, and who in a native of Hamilton, also, we believe, lodged in a house in the same street. [Glasgow Herald 10 July 1871]

13 July 1871

Colliery Accident at Bishopbriggs – Three Men Killed - An accident of a very melancholy nature occurred on Thursday, in No. 14 ironstone pit, belonging to the Carron Company, Cadder Moss, near Bishopbriggs. In the afternoon, three men - named Robert Henderson, pit-sinker, Kilton Cottages,Cadder; Robert Hoggans, pit-sinker, and David Shaw, engine man, both dwelling at Lochfauld Cottages, Cadder - were engaged connecting pump-rods, about thirty fathoms down from the mouth of the pit above mentioned, which is 90 fathoms deep, and contains fully 30 fathoms of water, the removal of which was the object in view. In order to execute the work, a scaffold was suspended by means of a rope from the pit-mouth. The three men descended the shaft in a " kettle, and having stepped from it to the scaffold signalled to the engineman above to raise the cage. Hardly, however, had this .been done than the scaffold gave way, and the three unfortunate men were precipitated to the bottom. The body of Henderson was discovered floating on the surface of the water, where it had got entangled in the surface of the woodwork. The other two bodies had sunk, and it is not expected that they will be recovered until the water has been drawn off, an operation which will occupy some three or four days in execution. Henderson was 22 years of age and unmarried; but Hoggans who was aged forty, and Shaw, twenty-eight, were married, and leave widows with four children each. [Scotsman 15 July 1871]

19 July 1871

Motherwell – Fatal Accident - A melancholy accident occurred yesterday in No. 2 coalpit at Milnwood, belonging to Mr Christie, whereby a collier named Robert Mitchell was instantaneously killed. The deceased along with another collier named Clark was employed in the second or Pyteshaw seam of coal, and while in the act of pushing forward a loaded hutch to the shaft he failed to observe that the cage was up, and fell over the edge of the workings to the bottom of the pit - a distance of 16 fathoms. The hutch in its descent broke, and stuck firm in the shaft. The deceased, who was about twenty-seven years of age, was married only a few weeks ago. [Scotsman 20 July 1871]

20 July 1871

Glasgow – Fatal Pit Accident At Shettleston A fatal coal pit accident occurred on Thursday afternoon, in No 4 of the Crownfield Collieries, belonging to G. M'Nair & Co., whereby two of the miners were killed. The deceased, William Kinnaird , aged 44, and Charles Neilson, 15 or 16, both residing at Middle Quarter, Shettleston, were in the cage either ascending or descending the shaft , and when , about 30 or 35 fathoms from the bottom the tow rope broke and the unhappy occupants fell with the cage to the ground . They were immediately conveyed to their homes. The man had both his legs broken and his head frightfully mangled , and the boy had his left arm torn from his shoulder. - Glasgow Star. [Scotsman 22 July 1871]

24 August 1871

Motherwell - Fatal Accident - Yesterday afternoon, while a labourer, named Wm Cotts, in the employment of Messrs Thomson & Shirlaw, Motherwell, was engaged "snibbling" some loaded coal waggons at Dalzell pit, he was thrown to the ground, and, before he could , recover himself, several of the wheels passed over his head, causing instantaneous death. The deceased was married, and resided at Windmillhill. [Scotsman 25 August 1871]

25 November 1872

Fatal Accident - On Saturday morning, a miner named Benson, in the employment of Mr A. G. Simpson, Carfin, was instantaneously killed by a quantity of ironstone falling from the roof of a pit in which he was at work. Deceased has left a young wife and two children. [Falkirk Herald 28 November 1872]

15 January 1873

Motherwell - Pit Accident - Yesterday morning while a miner, named Andrew Roddy, residing at the Camp, was employed in No. 1 coal pit, Motherwell Colliery, a mass of coal came away from the working face, and crushed him so severely that there are little hopes of his recovery. [Scotsman 16 January 1873]

22 April 1873

A miner named John Smith was killed on Tuesday while assisting at the “stooping” in No 9 Shieldmuir Pit, Wishaw, by a fall of coal from the roof. [Scotsman 24 April 1873]

11 November 1873

Melancholy occurrence - Two Men Killed In a Coal Pit - Yesterday morning, about half-past five o'clock a melancholy accident occurred in No 4 Coal Pit, Eastfield, parish of Rutherglen, belonging to Mr Jas. Buchanan, coalmaster, whereby two colliers, named Allan Maxwell, residing a 43 Mill Street Rutherglen, and James Speirs residing at Eastfield, were deprived of life. From inquiries made by the police, it appear, that Maxwell and Speirs and other two men named John Latta collier, residing at 15 Cathcart Street, Rutherglen, and Michael M'Cue, drawer, residing at 13 Ferrie Street, Rutherglen, went into a cage at the mouth of the pit for the purpose of being lowered down the shaft to their work. It is said that the pitheadman called to the engineman that all was ready; and it it alleged that the latter failed to raise the cage so that the "snakes" could be opened to allow the cage to descend; but that he set the engine in motion the reverse way, which caused the rope to slacken on the pirn. The pitheadman, it is said, again called to him to stop his engine and reverse it, so that the snakes might be opened. The engine was then stopped and reversed, and the cage was lifted off the snakes, and raised in the usual way. The engine was then set in motion for the purpose of lowering the cage down the shaft, and when it had descended about 10 fathoms the rope slipped off the pulley on the platform, and at the same moment the spokes of the pirn broke. The result was that the cage dropped down the shaft with a sudden jerk, and Maxwell and Speirs were thrown out, and fell to the bottom from a height of about 23 fathoms, Maxwell was killed on the spot, and Speirs died in about two hours afterwards. The cage was thrown out of the slides by the force of the jerk, but fortunately Latta and M'Cue succeeded in holding on, and saved their lives. Latta was slightly injured on the right knee and thigh, but luckily M'Cue escaped scathless. Maxwell and Speirs were each about 18 years of age, and unmarried. The county police are making inquiries into the sad occurrence. [Glasgow Herald 12 November 1873]

Melancholy Pit Accident – Two Men Killed- A melancholy accident occurred yesterday morning at No. 4 coal pit, Eastfield, near Rutherglen. About a quarter to six, four miners, named John Maxwell, James Spiers, John Latta, and Michael M’Cue, were being lowered, and when the cage was about half-way down the shaft the rope suddenly slackened, throwing out Maxwell and Spiers, who were precipitated to the bottom, and killed instantaneously. Latta was pretty severely injured by being squeezed between the cage and the side of the shaft, but M’Cue was unhurt. The deceased were both young men, and unmarried. [The Dundee Courier & Argus 12 November 1873]

The Late Fatal Coal Pit Accident At Eastfield - The engineman James Black, who was in charge at the coal pit at Eastfield on the 11th ult., when two miners were killed by falling down the shaft, has been committed to prison on a charge of culpable homicide, or culpable violation or neglect of duty. [Scotsman 5 December 1873]

The Recent Coal Pit Accident At Eastfield – Charge of Culpable Homicide - Last week James Black, who was in charge of the engine at the coal pit at Eastfield on the 11th uIt., when two miners, named Allan Maxwell and James Spiers, were killed by falling down the shaft, and two others injured, was examined before Sheriff Galbraith. After examination, Black was committed to prison on a charge of culpable homicide, or culpable violation or neglect of duty; but with the option of being liberated on finding bail to the amount of £30. - Glasgow Herald. [The Dundee Courier & Argus 11 December 1873]

7 January 1874

Severe Pit Accident - A miner of the name of Thomas McLaughlin, on Wednesday last, while “stooping” in the ell coal in Messrs Waddell & Sons Mauldslie Mine, received the following injuries from a fall of coal from the roof, viz:- compound fracture of the collar bone and simple fracture of the first four ribs of the left side, and other internal bruises. Dr Thomson was promptly sent for and carefully attended to the injured man. [Hamilton Advertiser 10 January 1874]

10 February 1874

Lesmahagow - Fatal Pit Accident – On Tuesday a man named Alex Waddell, residing at Gateside, near Lesmahagow, was suddenly deprived of life. When engaged in his usual employment, as a bottomer in the Major Pit, one of those leased by Messrs Colin Dunlop & Co., Quarter, he was caught by a descending cage and crushed to death. He has left a widow and a large family. [Hamilton Advertiser 14 February 1874]

13 February 1874

Fatal Pit Accident – Yesterday, a young man named Thomas Henderson, residing at Ravenscraig, lost his life in the Glasgow Iron Coy's No 10 Pit. It is supposed that Henderson had gone to a waste portion of the pit to procure a prop, and taking it out, a fall of stone came away by which the poor man lost his life. [Hamilton Advertiser 14 February 1874]

9 March 1874

Motherwell – Serious Colliery Accident – On Monday evening an explosion of fire damp took place in Shields Colliery, belonging to Messrs John McAndrew & Co., resulting in the severe injury of two men, named James Hamilton and Adam Galloway, firemen employed in the pit, and both residing at Windmillhill. A wall leading to one of the air courses in a portion of the mine not recently worked, had given way, and immediately on the men entering that part of the pit with their naked lamps to repair the wall, a loud report was heard. The two men were found lying on the ground, with their faces, arms and other parts of their body seriously burned. They are both lying in a critical state, and it is said Galloway will not regain his eyesight. [Hamilton Advertiser 14 March 1874]

The Late Accident at Shieldmuir – James Hamilton, fireman, residing in Windmillhill, who was accidentally burned in Shieldmuir Colliery last week, as already reported, died in his own house on Wednesday, after great suffering. The other man, named Adam Galloway, who was burned with him, is said to be in a critical position. [Hamilton Advertiser 21 March 1874]

3 April 1874

Motherwell – Serious Colliery Accident – On Friday night two men named Henry Mullen and Andrew Kelly, brushers, both residing in Parkneuk Place, were severely burned while at work in the Braidhurst Colliery, belonging to Mr Addie. Both men were together repairing some roads in the main air course with their naked lamps, when suddenly an explosion of fire damp took place, knocking them insensible to the ground. They were for a length of time in the mine afterwards in a helpless condition when they were discovered by some workmen. Mullen is in a critical state, and is said to be internally injured. Dr Forrest was in immediate attendance. [Hamilton Advertiser 4 April 1874]

Motherwell – Fatal Result of an Accident – Henry Mullen, brusher, residing in Park Place, who was accidentally burned a fortnight ago in the Braidhurst Colliery, died on Tuesday morning form the effects of his injuries. [Hamilton Advertiser 11 April 1874]

10 April 1874

Carluke – Fatal Pit Accident – Yesterday morning, at 9 o'clock, at Shawfield Colliery (Law, Carluke) belonging to John Wilson, Esq., while two miners, named James Fell and Maxwell, were working at the face, a fall came away from the roof, and killed Fell on the spot, and severely injured Maxwell. [Hamilton Advertiser 11 April 1874]

21 July 1874

Carluke – Fatal Pit Accident – On Tuesday, John Callan, a collier at Stravenhouse Colliery, belonging to Mr James Thornton, was applying a light to a blast, when a charge went off and the head coal fell upon him. He expired about an hour after the occurrence. [Hamilton Advertiser 25 July 1874]

2 December 1874

Cambuslang – Singular and Fatal Pit Accident – Between six and seven o'clock on Wednesday night, a serious accident happened to a collier named Joseph Robertson in No 2 Pit, in process of sinking on the estate of Westburn. It seems that Robertson was, along with several others, working at the bottom, and having prepared three shots, and applied a light, the party went into the “kettle” giving the engineman at the pithead the signal to draw them up. When about eight fathoms from the bottom, the “kettle” caught on the midwall, causing it to swerve to one side, and Robertson, overbalancing himself, fell with great violence to the bottom. As he was descending, the three shots which had previously been lighted went off. Robertson's companions found him lying in an insensible condition and brought him to the surface, but he lived only 20 minutes after the accident. Deceased who was 24 years of age, resided at Bushyhill. [Hamilton Advertiser 5 December 1874]

22 January 1875

Carluke - Fatal Pit Accident - At 4 o'clock on the afternoon of Friday last, while James Shaw, miner, residing at Roadmeetings, Carluke, was employed in Lochknowe Ironstone and Limestone Pit, belonging to Castlehill Iron Works, a large piece of blaes came away from the roof, struck him in the forehead and knocked him down, when his head came violently in contact with the ground, severely, cutting it in the back part, and killing him on the spot. Peter Shaw, the father of the deceased, was standing quite close to his son when the accident happened, but fortunately escaped unhurt. The deceased was a young man of [illegible] years of age, and leaves a widow and a very young child. [Glasgow Herald 25 January 1875]

22 March 1875

Boy Scalded to Death - A boy of 11 years of age, named Henry Sharp, was scalded to death on Saturday last. He was an inmate of Reddrie Reformatory, but had got leave of absence to visit his mother. He was playing about No 3 Coalpit, Newlands, belonging to Messrs Dunn Brothers, when he accidentally fell into a pond of water, which was at almost boiling heat. The alarm was raised by his playmates, and he was promptly rescued, but he was so dreadfully scalded all over the body that he only lived a few minutes. [Glasgow Herald 24 March 1875]

1 April 1875

Wishaw - A Fall Down a Pit - Late on Thursday night, an engine-keeper, named Andrew Pringle, residing in Kirkland's, Craigneuk, was killed by falling down the Wellington Pit, belonging to Merry & Cunninghame (Limited). It seems that Pringle had been at Cleland, and on his way home he called in at the engine-house of the pit, and spoke to the man on night duty. Shortly afterwards he went away in a homeward direction, and a minute or two thereafter the engineman was alarmed by hearing something falling down the pit. On looking out he could see no trace of Pringle, and seeing the door leading from the surface to the shaft standing open, he concluded that he had fallen. He gave the alarm, and shortly after the dead body, much mangled, was brought to the surface. Pringle has left a widow and family. The depth of the pit was 104 yards. [Glasgow Herald 3 April 1875]

11 April 1875

Fatal Accident - About one o'clock on Sunday morning a miner named Wm. Campbell, 24 years of age, residing at Queenslie Row, while under the influence of liquor, fell into 31 Pit, Garthamlock, belonging to the Provanhall Coal Company, and was killed on the spot. The depth of the pit is 68 fathoms. The usual fencing, 4 feet in height, is said to have guarded the pit mouth. [Glasgow Herald 13 April 1875]

19 May 1875

At No. 1 Pit Shawfield Colliery, on Wednesday forenoon, as John Winning, miner, residing at Gilhead, Cambusnethan, was employed along with his brother, Wm. Winning, "stooping" - John being engaged "holing," and William "boring," preparing for a shot - the coal came away on the top of John, killing him instantly. Winning was unmarried and the only support of a widowed mother. [Glasgow Herald 21 May 1875]

17 June 1875

Serious Coal-pit Accident - On Thursday last, while a miner named Patrick Ward, residing at M'Nair's Row, Shettleston, was working on the main road of Budhill coal pit, near Shettleston, a portion of the roof fell upon him. The poor man was speedily extricated from the debris and attended by Dr Steven, Tollcross, who found that his collar bone was fractured, and his left leg severely bruised at the knee and ankle. Ward was conveyed home. [Glasgow Herald 19 June 1875]

1 December 1875

Rutherglen - Fatal Pit Accident - A miner named Robert Steel, residing in Bonverie Street, has been fatally injured while at work in Messrs Crookston's Aikenhead Colliery, a large piece of coal, weighing about a ton, having fallen on him and caused instant death. He has left a widow, but no family. [Glasgow Herald 2 December 1875]

4 December 1875

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - On Saturday, a miner named James Taylor, 30 years of age, residing at 27 Sandyhills Square, Shettleston, was accidentally killed in No. 2 Pit, Glenduffhill Collieries, Shettleston. It appears that deceased was working at a seam of virgin coal, and while he was in the act of endeavouring to push a hutch on to a cage which was being raised from a lower seam of coal he overbalanced himself and fell to the bottom, from a height of 38 fathoms. Death was instantaneous. [Glasgow Herald 7 December 1875]

16 February 1876

On Wednesday afternoon an accident occurred in No 5 pit, Braehead, belonging to Dunn Bros, which resulted in instantaneous death to two men and severe injury to another. Two miners named respectively Thomas Bates and Henry Hunter, were putting in props at the face of the working to support the roof, when a huge mass of coal suddenly came down upon them completely burying them. A lad named James Black, employed as pony driver, was standing near by and was crushed by some of the debris, his left leg being broken at the knee. When the other two were got out it was found that in both cases life was extinct, and from the nature of their injuries death must have been sudden and painless. Bates had his neck dislocated and sustained severe spinal injuries, while Hunter had sustained fracture of the skull sufficient to cause instant death. The deceased, who were men of middle age, were working with ordinary caution. [Herald February 18th 1876]

19 February 1876

On Saturday afternoon, at 2 o'clock, upon the miners employed at what is known as the Carron company's “Big Pit” at Cadder dropping work for the day, two of their number named John George and William Thom, remained behind to perform some blasting which was necessary ere the workmen could resume work upon the face on Monday morning. About 4 o'clock as the men had not gone home, a brother of the man George descended the pit to learn the cause of their detention, and while in the act of searching for them he stumbled against a body. Feeling much alarmed he made his way to the cage, and reached the surface in a fainting state. On recovering he expressed his fears that the body he had come in contact with was his brother's and he felt confident both men were dead. A party at once went down to make an investigation, and on proceeding to where the blasting had to be done, the men were found lying dead. It is assumed that the men, becoming impatient at the slowness of the fuse in setting fire to the powder, had gone too near to see if it was extinguished, and that the blast had exploded before they had time to retreat. Both the deceased were under 18 years of age. [Herald February 21st 1876]

21 March 1876

Frightful Colliery Accident At Carluke – Three Men Killed and Six Injured - Yesterday morning, between six and seven o'clock, an accident of a serious nature occurred at No. 1 Pit, Stravenhouse Colliery, Law, near Carluke, belonging to Mr James Thornton. The workmen, numbering upwards of forty, were assembled near the pit mouth for the purpose of descending, when the pit frame gave way and fell, killing on the spot John Nelson, aged 24, and James Nelson aged 13, brothers, residing at Abbey Green Cottage, Whiteshaw Road, Carluke. John Aitchison aged 24, residing at Thornton's Row, Law, was taken up alive, but only survived an hour and a half after the accident. There were also also six injured William Wilson, 30, and George Wilson, 26, brothers; and William Duncan, 30, residing at Law. Edward M'Arthur, Wm. Frater, and Thomas Moffat were slightly injured. The roadman and fireman, M'Arthur and Frater, were in the act of descending the pit to examine the shaft before allowing the workmen to go down, when the accident occurred. They were thirty fathoms from the pithead at the time, and escaped with slight injuries by sliding down the bunting to the bottom of the pit. A greater number of lives would have been sacrificed had it not been that a locomotive with empty waggon came up near the pit a minute before the beam fell, which drew away from the scene of the accident between twenty and thirty men and boys . The two whorls, or pulley wheels that fell on some of the men each weigh about 15 cwt. Several of the beams of the frame (which are of great thickness) were snapped through. The pit frame was put up about three years ago, and appeared to be strong and substantial. The cause of its giving way cannot, as yet, be satisfactorily accounted for. The brothers Nelson were unmarried. Another brother was killed in a pit accident a few years ago. Aitchison was only recently married. [Scotsman 22 March 1876]

Carluke – The Late Colliery Accident – George Wilson, one of the men severely injured by the accident at Stravenhouse Colliery, Carluke, on Tuesday, died on Saturday morning. This is the fourth death that has resulted from the accident. The other five men injured seem to be in the way of recovery. The Government Mines Inspector and the authorities from Lanark have made an examination of the works. [Scotsman 27 March 1876]

6 September 1876

Carluke – Serious Pit Accident - Yesterday a serious accident occurred at Catcraig Pit, Orchard, Carluke, belonging to Mr Thomas Barr. A pitheadman, named John Maxton, was in the act of putting in an empty hutch on the cage. In a mistake he ran it against the opposite gate, and knocked the gate off, when the hutch went down the pit and he followed. He fell on the cage, near the pit bottom, a distance of about 15 fathoms. He was brought up, and Drs Stewart and Murray being brought, both Maxton's legs were found to be broken and he had sustained severe injury to his head. Maxton belongs to Newmains, is unmarried, and is aged about 36 years. [Herald 7th September 1876]

10 November 1876

Sad Pit Accident – A Man Severely Injured and His Son Killed – A sad accident happened to a father and son yesterday forenoon in Stonelaw Colliery, Rutherglen, where they were employed as miners. While working at the face a fall of stones from the roof killed the son instantaneously, and severely injured the father. The latter was as soon as possible seen by Dr R. A. M’Kechnie, and was afterwards conveyed home. Father and son are named respectively Joseph M’Kee and George M’Kee, the latter being about sixteen years of age. Both resided in Nuneaton Street, Bridgeton. [The Dundee Courier & Argus 11 November 1876]

8 January 1877

Shocking Colliery Accident – On Monday a shocking fatal accident occurred at the Old Pit, Camp Colliery, occupied by Mr Williams of Shieldmuir. Dougald Lawson, one of the oversmen at the colliery, was engaged with two other men repairing the shank, when he missed his footing on the scaffold, and fell down the shank – a distance of about 20 fathoms. The men in the shank gave the alarm but it was sometime before any assistance could be rendered, when the poor fellow was discovered quite dead, jammed in some machinery near the pit bottom. He was a married man, and about 40 years of age. [Hamilton Advertiser January 13 1877]

22 January 1877

Pit Accident – On Monday afternoon, James Farrell, miner, aged 36, residing in Merry St, while engaged in Braidhurst Colliery, was hit by a fall of about 2 tons, which broke two of his ribs and otherwise injured him. He was carried home and attended by Dr Forrest, and lies at present in a precarious condition. [Hamilton Advertiser January 27 1877]

1 March 1877

Fatal Pit Accident – About 5pm on Wednesday last, Thomas Paton, age 13, miner's drawer, stepson of Simon Carruthers, miner, residing at Lochknowes, Carluke, was at work in No 8 ironstone and limestone pit, at Kingshaw, belonging to the Shotts Iron Co, and while in the act, as he thought, of putting a hutch on to the cage, the cage being at the top, the hutch fell down the shaft, a distance of 14 fathoms, dragging Paton along with it. When found he was standing in the sump up to the middle in water, and on being taken to the top, on examination it was discovered his left leg was broken, his right leg severely lacerated, and his head cut and otherwise severely injured. He died on Thursday. [Hamilton Advertiser March 3 1877]

7 April 1877

Narrow Escape of a Pit Shanker – On Saturday last, a serious accident occurred at Muirhead pit which is in the process of being sunk. Workmen were employed in the laying of new pipes, and when one of the pipes had been lowered down about 27 fathoms, a man named Jeffrey stepped from the bunting on the pipe, but missing his footing he fell to the bottom, a distance of fully 10 fathoms, and had it not been that there was a considerable depth of water in the pit he would have been killed on the spot. As it was he was so severely injured that he had to be removed to the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh. [Hamilton Advertiser April 14 1877]

5 May 1877

Explosion of fire damp – On Saturday afternoon, an explosion of firedamp occurred in No 1 Pit, South Westburn Colliery, belonging to the Flemington Coal Co., by which three men, Wm Dunn, fireman, Thomas French and James Russell, both roadsmen were severely burned about their faces, hands and arms. It seems that a fall from the roof had taken place the previous day near the face, when the men were sent to repair it, and although they were aware of the presence of firedamp in that neighbourhood they carelessly used their naked lights, by which the gas was ignited. Dr Turnbull, Cambuslang, attended the sufferers, but we believe he thinks none of them in danger. [Hamilton Advertiser May 12 1877]

February 1879

Carfin Pit Accident – While John Campbell, night overseer, 57 years of age, and residing at Carfin, was in a stooping position in one of the main roads in Mr Dixons No 1 Pit, a large stone fell on him from the roof, whereby he had his leg broken above the knee and was otherwise seriously injured. [Hamilton Advertiser February 22 1879]

26 May 1879

Fatal Accident in a Mine – On Monday afternoon about 2 o'clock while John Cowden, miner , aged 47, residing at Weir's Entry, off High Street, Carluke, was working at the face within Todds Limestone Mine, near Kilncadzow, a large stone came away, and fell upon him, and killed him on the spot. [Hamilton Advertiser May 31 1879]

17 July 1879

Pit Accident – On Thursday afternoon, John Thomson, 52 years of age, residing in Russell Street, met with an accident in No 1 Pit, Glenclelland Colliery (Kerrs & Mitchells) It seems that he was taking the main coal from underneath the pyotshaw seam, when a fall of stone and coal, two tons in weight, came away unexpectedly from the roof. He was knocked over and had his right leg broken above the ankle. Dr Robert Livingstone attended. [Hamilton Advertiser July 19 1879]

28 August 1879

Sinker Killed – A sad accident occurred in No 2 pit, Logans, Motherwell on the 28th ult., whereby James Campbell lost his life. Deceased was at work sinking when through some accident the skeleton cage used to raise the material to the pit bank, was allowed to fall back. It struck Campbell on the head killing him instantaneously. [Hamilton Advertiser September 6 1879]

23 September 1879

Motherwell – Two Miners Suffocated – On Monday night six brushers descended Messrs Dixon's No 1 pit, Carfin, for the purpose of cleaning out the workings. Yesterday morning they felt that there was an accumulation of choke damp around them, and made for the shaft in order to escape. One of them, named Sweeny, managed to reach it, was drawn to the top of the shaft, and an exploring party at once descended. After a search three of the men were found alive, but two, named Cornelius Dougan, 55, and John Strain, 40, had died. It is believed the other four are out of danger. [Scotsman 24 September 1879]

16 March 1880

Explosion In A Coal Pit Near Govan- About nine o'clock yesterday morning an explosion of fire-damp took place in No. 3 Drumoyne pit, near Govan, belonging to Messrs C. Dunlop& Company, by which two men were injured. At the time of the explosion, 60 men, who had descended early in the morning, were in the pit, but fortunately the effects of the concussion and the after-damp were not serious in the places where most of the men were located. The injured men,whose names are PeterM'Ginty, bottomer, Crayton; and W. Stevenson , bottomer, Crayton, were treated by Dr Freer, Govan, on being taken to the top, and were afterwards sent home. Their injuries are not considered serious, M'Ginty having one of his arms broken, and Stevenson being bruised about the legs. All the other men were speedily removed from the pit. The cause of the explosion has not been ascertained. [Scotsman 17 March 1880]

16 October 1880

Pit Accident - On Saturday a miner named Patrick Milldoon, residing at Haywood, was admitted to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, suffering from severe internal injuries sustained by the fall of some stones from the roof of a pit which he had been working. [Scotsman 18 October 1880]

15 December 1880

Fatal Accident - A miner named James Rox, 40 years of age, and residing in Mitchell's Square, Rumblingsykes, was instantaneously killed yesterday morning by falling down the shaft of Wellington Pit, Craigneuk, belonging to Merry & Cuninghame, a distance of about 400 feet. Deceased was on his way home from Ravenscraig, and to save time had gone by way of the pit. It is stated that deceased was under the influence of liquor. The pithead was well lighted up. [Scotsman 16 December 1880]