Misc. Lanarkshire Accidents 1855-1870

This section contains newspaper reports on selected accidents in miscellaneous areas of Lanarkshire between 1855 and 1870 inclusive. Please check the indexes in the Accidents Section for reports by the Inspector of Mines and accidents in other areas.

6 April 1855

Coal Pit Accident - An explosion of firedamp took place on Friday morning at Bankhead coal pit, near Rutherglen, by which one man named Reid, and four boys were injured, but not to a very serious extent. We understand that the only place in the pit at which firedamp makes it appearance is in the inside of s slip which has been newly cut. A man whose duty it is to inspect this place every morning, had, on the morning of Friday, been there as usual, and had worked in the place for some time with his naked lamp. Although it did not seem to him to be dangerous, still, as an extra precaution, he told Reid to enter first with a Davy lamp. Reid had also been repeatedly warned to enter at all times with the Davy lamp only, more especially when he entered for the first time in the morning; and he was also strictly enjoined never to allow boys to accompany him. Both of these precautions he appears to have neglected, and hence the accident, which, but for the small accumulation of gas, might have been much more serious. [Glasgow Herald April 9 1855]

April 1855

Colliery Accident - Early on Thursday morning an accident occurred at Garscube or Quarry Pit, in the Maryhill District, from an explosion of fire damp, by which a collier named Patrick McGurk was instantly deprived of life, and another workman named Robert Cunningham, whose business it was to keep the pit free of foul air, was so much injured he is not expected to recover. [Glasgow Herald April 13 1855]

28 July 1855

Airdrie Fatal Leap - On Saturday, John Smith, a fireman, was attempting to leap from a coal waggon at Bogles Hole, near Tollcross, when he missed his aim and fell before one of the wheels which passed over him and crushed him so much he died the following day.[Glasgow Herald August 3 1855]

26 December 1855

Coal Pit Accident - On Wednesday morning a piece of rock, stated to have been about a ton in weight, forming portion of the roof of No. 2 pit, Hamilton Hill, near Rockvale, suddenly gave way, and fell among four men who happened to be working close to each other, and who were more or less injured in consequence. They were speedily brought to the surface, when Dr Crossan was sent for, and did all he possibly could for them in the circumstances.— N. B. Mail. [Caledonian Mercury 28 December 1855]

14 April 1857

Fire damp explosion - On Tuesday last, a fire damp explosion took place in the Jenny Lind pit, belonging to Mr Wm S Dixon, coal-master, Carfin, near Motherwell, when two brothers named Ferguson were somewhat severe burned. The accident is said to have resulted from the neglect of some party at work in the pit. [Hamilton Advertiser 18 April 1857]

20 January 1858

Melancholy and Fatal Accident - On Wednesday morning, the 20th inst., a melancholy and fatal accident took place at Parkhead Colliery, Dalziel, leased by Messrs King and Henderson, from Captain Hamilton, MP. The fireman, Walter Clark, having gone down the pit about 4 o'clock and having gone round the workings,found all correct – and signalled the colliers to descend to their work, which they proceeded to do to the number of 29 – men and boys. After working for about two hours nothing appeared to disturb them in their operations, till in some part of the workings, an explosion of fire damp took place, which caused them all to make their way to the bottom as quick as possible, which they all reached except two, viz:- David Brown and his son, a boy almost eleven years of age. The explosion damaging the shaft, the cage stuck fast, rendering the communication from the top at a close. Mr King, one of the masters, along with the manager and pit-head man, commenced to get down, when, with every exertion being made for about 3 hours, they managed to bring the men to the top, but one of them was found to be dead, named Matthew Whitelaw, aged 22 years. Then operations were commenced to procure the two that were found to be amissing. The danger that arises from the fire in after damp requires that every precaution be used before any person can enter into the parts where it exists It was not till next morning about 7 o'clock that the bodies were found and brought out, life of course was extinct. And what is very astonishing, none of the parties were burned, not a hair of their head singed with the fire, consequently their deaths must have been caused by the after damp. [Hamilton Advertiser January 23 1858]

February 18 1859

Pit Accident at Dalziel - On Friday, Bernard Bonnar, drawer, met with a serious accident in Mr Kidston's coal pit, on the estate of Dalziel, by a double cage and empty hutch coming down upon him while he was crossing the bottom. He was removed to his lodgings in Church Street here, and is attended by Dr Loudon. [Hamilton Advertiser February 19 1859]

18 May 1859

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - Yesterday afternoon, while a collier, named John Courtney, was working in a pit, situated at Springbank, London Road, belonging to Mr. George Wilson, a quantity of coal fell upon him from the roof, whereby he was instantaneously deprived of life. Deceased, who was forty years of age, resided at 163 Canning Street, Calton, and we regret to learn that he has left a widow and six children. [Glasgow Herald 18 May 1859]

21 June 1859

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - Yesterday morning, while a collier named William Barrowman, residing in Shettleston, was at work in Mr Gray 's wester pit, Parkhead, a quantity of coal fell upon him, whereby he was deprived of life. Deceased was about 50 years of age. The son of deceased got his foot severely injured at the same time. [Glasgow Herald 22 June 1859]

2 September 1859

Serious Accident - On Friday the 2nd inst., an accident of a most serious nature happened to John M'Kendrick, miner, Maryfield. While engaged at his work, a part of the roof fell in, and injured him very severely. It was in one solid piece, about 5 cwt., and fell upon him from a height of 4 feet. His spine is much injured and he has, meanwhile, lost all muscular power from the wound downwards. Hopes of his recovery are still entertained. [Hamilton Advertiser September 10 1859]

27 September 1859

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - On Monday evening, about eight o'clock, a melancholy accident occurred at Bankhead Coal-Pit, Rutherglen, belonging to Messrs. M'Naughton & Hood, coal masters, Union Street, Glasgow. It appears that while James Dyer, roadsman, residing in Burnhill Street, Rutherglen, and Michael Rooney, roadsman, residing in Mill Street, Rutherglen, were at work in the above-named pit, a portion of the roof, about six inches thick, fell upon them. We regret to state that Dyer was instantaneously deprived of life, and Rooney was so severely injured - his back and legs being fractured - that he is not expected to survive. Dr. Gorman, surgeon, was in attendance. Dyer was forty years of age, and has left a widow and three young children. Rooney is sixty-five years of age, married, and has five of a family. [Glasgow Herald 28 September 1859]

June 1860

Coal-pit accident – On Thursday last an accident occurred at Camp Colliery, by which Henry O'Neil had his foot injured, and his son, Donald O'Neil, sustained a fracture of the collar bone. It appears that while working in the pit some of the coal gave way, falling upon the O'Neils and causing the injuries mentioned. Dr Loudon was promptly in attendance and we are happy to state that in neither case is danger apprehended. [Hamilton Advertiser June 30 1860]

August 9 1860

Fatal accident – We are informed that an accident of a very serious nature took place on Thursday last, at Auchinheath, by a fall of coal. The particulars we have not heard, but we understand that one man died shortly afterwards from the hurts received, and that other three are dangerously injured. [Hamilton Advertiser August 11 1860]

Accident – On Thursday the 9th inst. while four men were engaged in making or widening a road in one of the pits at Auchinheath, the face at which they were working gave way without the least warning, nearly burying them in the mass. One man, James Briscoe, was killed, and the other three made a narrow escape. John Briscoe, father of the above, had his body severely bruised and fractured; John Robertson had his right thigh bone broken, and a brother of Briscoe's (who was killed) had his foot bruised; however he could walk home. No blame is attached to any person. The Drs Lindsay, who were both promptly in attendance, consider those surviving out of danger. [Hamilton Advertiser August 18 1860]

16 August 1860

Man Killed – On Thursday as a collier named Michael Baxter was engaged in the Westmuir Hill Coal Pit, a stone fell from the roof on to his head, killing him on the spot. Deceased, who was 25 years of age, has left a wife and two children. [Hamilton Advertiser August 18 1860]

August 1860

Pit Accident – While working in No 3 coal pit, Newlands Bothwell, James Wotherspoon, collier, Muirside, P Currens, roadsman, Baillieston, Wm Marshall, underground manager, A Lawson, manager, Rosebank, were severely burned on the head and face through an explosion of fire damp. [Hamilton Advertiser August 25 1860]

10 September 1860

Fatal Ironstone Pit Accident - On Monday morning about half past ten o'clock, while a miner named Patrick Rodger, was employed in No 3 Springfield Pit, belonging to Messrs Dixon & Co, a portion of roof suddenly fell in, whereby the poor man was instantaneously deprived of life. The ironstone which fell upon the deceased weighed between 5 and 6 tons. [Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser 15 September 1860]

28 September 1860

Fearful Colliery Explosion - Three Men Killed and Three Others Frightfully Injured - Yesterday morning, one of those fearful events that fill a whole district with alarm, occurred at Rutherglen, Glasgow – viz., an explosion of fire-damp. It would appear that some men had been engaged walling, or hewing off a portion of the shaft, to allow some brickwork to be put into the mine. To accomplish this a scaffold had been laid across the shaft a considerable distance from the bottom of it. Indeed another scaffold intervened between the men and the bottom of the shaft. It seems to have been well known that foul gas lay in that part of the pit. During the period that the second scaffold had been laid, the gas issued from beneath, and reached the upper. When the men commenced to remove the rubbish caused by the work, the gas came in contact with their lamps. The result was an instant explosion by which John Marshall, John Jackson, and Wm. Carr, were instantly deprived of life; and James Penman, Walter Beveridge, and Thomas Watson, severely injured. The pit, which is known by the name of Dixon's No 4, and which belongs to Wm. S. Dixon, is one that many fatal disasters have occurred in. It is surely to be hoped that at a season like this, when hundreds of humane persons are in the city from all parts of the nation, that the strictest investigation will take place, so that the cause may be fairly known. [Glasgow Herald September 29 1860]

7 January 1861

Pit Accident – On Monday last,George Kerr,collier, residing at Rumblingsykes, sustained a fracture to one of his legs, besides other severe injuries, by a fall of coals from the roof while at his work in Muirhouse Colliery, belonging to the Trustees of the late Provost Davidson, Airdrie. No blame is attached to any person. The unfortunate man was attended by Mr Forrest, Motherwell. [Hamilton Advertiser January 12 1861]

27 February 1861

Melancholy and Fatal Accident – On Wednesday the 27th ult., Alexander Weir, New bridge end, Carluke, was killed at Armadale, near Bathgate, by a fall from the roof of a mine. Further particulars have not reached us. [Hamilton Advertiser March 2 1861]

28 February 1861

Fatal Coal Pit Accident Near Glasgow – On Thursday last, between 9 and 10 o'clock, while a collier named Daniel Martin, residing at Garthamlock, was working at a coal facing in No 1 pit, Garthamlock, in the possession of Mr James Panton, a large stone weighing about a ton, fell from the roof upon the person of the unfortunate man, who was in a sitting position at the time. Some time elapsed before the stone could be removed from off Martin's body. Deceased has left a widow and nine children. [Scotsman 2 March 1861]

28 February 1861

On Wednesday last, while several boys were amusing themselves at the mouth of the second shaft of the Low Pit, Eastfield, one of the lads named John Jackson, 14 years of age, residing in King Street, Rutherglen, accidentally fell down the shaft to the bottom, a depth of 13 fathoms. The poor boy was killed on the spot. [Scotsman 2 March 1861]

The Accident At Eastfield Colliery- To the Editor of the Glasgow Herald - Sir - In reference to the paragraph in Saturday's Herald regarding the death of John Jackson in the low pit, Eastfield Colliery, I beg to inform you that the pit, from the surface is 60 fathoms in depth. The blind pit is 260 fathoms, from the bottom of the above pit, from the surface, and in this blind pit there are traps or ladders for going up or down. At the dinner hour (from 2 to 3pm) on Wednesday last, eight or nine of the boys assembled at the top of this blind pit, and the frolics you speak of were their casting stones and mud at one another till the whole of their lights were put out and two of them, named Jackson and Currie climbed up on top of the pithead frame which is over this blind pit, and, being in the dark, on coming down Jackson fell into the pit, and so was killed. All being in the dark, none of the other eight can say how it happened. May I ask you to insert the above in the Herald. - I am, Sir, your respectfully, James Dunn, Manager, March 5 1861. [Glasgow Herald 6 March 1861]

16 March 1861

Accidents in a coal pit – A lad named Robert Westwater was working on Saturday at the coal fall in the Low Pit, parish of Rutherglen, when the coal face suddenly came down upon him and crushed him severely. In the same pit, and on the same day, Hugh Frew was cleaning the air course of the it when a large stone fell from the roof upon him, severely injuring him. [Hamilton Advertiser March 23 1861]

23 March 1861

Fire damp Explosion - About half past twelve o'clock on Saturday last, a partial explosion of fire damp took place in the pit at Dalziel Colliery, occupied by John P Kidston Esq., coalmaster, by which Peter McCann, collier residing in Muir Street, Hamilton, aged 34 years, and John Queen collier, residing in Gateside Street, were severely burned about their arms and faces. This occurred it is said, through the carelessness of the men themselves. They were speedily attended by Dr S Thomson, Motherwell. [Hamilton Advertiser March 30 1861]

16 July 1861

The Fatal Coal-Pit Accident At Kelvinside - The water in the pit at Kelvinside had been reduced on Thursday evening from forty feet to twenty-seven feet in depth, or nearly three and a half feet above the door heads leading to the rise 'working in which the four men are supposed to be. The workings into which the men are believed to have made their escape are nearly 500 fathoms in length, with a height and width together of about nine feet.. Every exertion has been and is being used to reduce the depth of water in the pit. It is thought that the poor men are in such. a position in the upper working that they will not expire for want of air for some days yet if hunger does not hasten their untimely end. [Glasgow Herald, quoted in Scotsman 20 July 1861]

Coal Pit Accident Near Glasgow, And Loss of Life - As the men at the new Sheep Mount gas coal pit, between Maryhill and Glasgow, were working at the head of the pit, they were alarmed by the danger bell ringing violently, and by hearing a few minutes after cries of distress coming up from the pit. As they could not hear what was the nature of the cries, the roadsman, named William Macdonald, boldly slid down the shaft by the rope so far as to be able to hear the man from whom the cries proceeded say that the water had rushed into the pit, and that it had driven him about thirty feet up, while he then was hanging on to a bunter, which is a stick that runs along the side of the shaft. The roadsman shouted up for a rope to be let down. This was done, and by the rope the two were drawn up. The man who was thus saved was found to be Michael Devlin. He lay exhausted for about five minutes after he came to the surface, but then so far recovered as to state the nature of the accident. He said that he and another man named Aitken, were working at stone, in order to get at coal, and that immediately after making a blast with gunpowder, the water from the Old Sheep Mount pit rushed in upon them. They ran to the bottom of the shaft, and got into the covered cage, but the water immediately reached them, and drove Aitken in the pit with the cage, and drowned him, but Devlin who managed to free himself, was carried by the force of the water 30 feet up the shaft, where he clung to the bunter till he was picked up. Four other men were in a higher part of the pit, and there is little hope of their being saved. However, the pump of the engine and two large buckets which bring up 1800 gallons of water in the hour, have been set to work since the evening of the accident, to pump the pit dry and see if the four men are still alive. Three of the unfortunate men are married, with families and two unmarried. The despair of the wives and children, several of whom were at the pit head all night after the accident is heart rending. – From our Glasgow Correspondent. [Dundee Courier and Daily Argus 18 July 1861]

The Fatal Coal Pit Accident Near Glasgow - Every effort has been made to reduce the water which rushed in upon the workmen in Kelvinside Park on Tuesday last, causing, it is to be feared, the death of four workmen, whose operations in the pit had been the accidental means of flooding it. The nine fathoms of water has been reduced by two feet, in consequence of the operations of the engine. The body of one of the four missing men, we regret to say, has been seen floating in the water at the bottom of the shaft. He was an elderly man, named Aitken, and would have been saved with his comrade had the cage not become jammed. Had this dire catastrophe occurred a day later, in all likelihood much worse consequences would have resulted, as owing to Glasgow Fair Holidays, the coal miners were not at work on Tuesday afternoon, thus escaping the catastrophe. Dundee Courier and Daily Argus 19 July 1861]

The Kelvinside Coal-Pit Accident - The utmost exertions have been continued since the lamentable catastrophe at this pit on Tuesday afternoon, to pump out the water so far as to enable an entrance to be effected to the part of the pit where the four men were working, who were unable to make their escape when the water rushed in upon them. The progress of diminishing the water has been, however, very slow - at the rate of about two inches an hour, so that, up till Thursday afternoon, it was only reduced to the top of the pit door. Strong hopes were still entertained that the men were in life, as the seam in which they were employed slopes considerably upwards, so that it is believed they had retreated to the elevated portion of it, and were thus above the elevated portion of it, and were thus above the level of the water, where a large space probably existed free of water, and where they were likely to exist for some days, unless unfortunately they had fallen victims to carbonic acid gas. The utmost excitement prevailed in the neighbourhood, and the pit has been visited by large numbers of the inhabitants. - ‘Daily Mail.’ [Dundee Courier and Daily Argus 20 July 1861]

The Pit Accident At Kelvinside – On Friday, the men engaged in pumping water from the pit succeeded in getting 15 inches nearer the door of the rise workings, but, of course, the bodies of the unfortunate sufferers were not recovered. [Scotsman 22 July 1861]

The Accident At Kelvinside Coal Pit – Three Men Brought Out Alive - The result of the accident at Kelvinside Coal Pit, near Glasgow, on Tuesday last, previously given in our paper, has been an unexpectedly fortunate one -fortunate, indeed, beyond general expectation though, unhappily, two lives have still been sacrificed. The pumping operations were continued all Friday and Saturday, though Saturday afternoon and night passed away without it being in the power of those above ground to ascertain the fate of the unfortunate men underneath. On Sunday morning, about six o’clock, Mr Laird, underground manager, who had several times previously descended the pit, thought that sufficient space bad been cleared to admit searchers.  He and a party were able to effect an entrance, and the first thing that presented itself to their gaze was the dead body of the boy Henry Figgan, aged seventeen years, about twenty-five yards from the shaft, lying flat on the back, with a jacket quite close to it. We may here mention that it was only to bring up his jacket, which he had forgotten, that the poor boy had descended the pit on the day of the accident. When the exploring party were, perhaps, about twenty yards from the spot where the men were found, a cry was heard, and Mr Laird shouted out that the men were alive. Intelligence of this was immediately sent up the shaft, and the joy of the relations was, as may be supposed, excessive. Medical assistance, blankets, cordials, &c., were immediately obtained. Meanwhile, Mr Laird and the searching party proceeded on, and at a distance of about 120 yards from the place where the body of Figgan was found, they discovered the three men alive and crouching together. On seeing their deliverers approach, expressions of thankfulness to God for preserving and restoring them to home and friends fell from their lips. The medical gentlemen thought it prudent not to remove the three men- whose names are Michael Daly, Thomas Cairney, and John Johnstone above ground at once, but they administered to them small quantities of beef-tea and wine, which benefited them considerably. They were not, however, in a very exhausted state. About nine o’clock the three men were cautiously hoisted up the pit, at the head of which they were received with warm congratulations, and restored to the arms of loving friends, who had almost given them up for lost, but who had still hoped on. The greatest excitement prevailed amongst the crowd at this moment, and general joy and thankfulness seemed to prevail. The men were immediately put into cabs which had been provided, and they were driven to their respective home., where they are at present making satisfactory progress towards complete recovery. At half past ten o’clock the body of Alex. Aitken, was recovered, slightly disfigured about the nose. It will be remembered that he was working at the bottom of the shaft, at the moment of the accident, and was therefore drowned almost immediately. The accident occurred at two o’clock on Tuesday afternoon last, but it was not till about six the same evening that the three men discovered that their communication with the outer world was prevented by a body of water. This is accounted for by the nature of the workings below in which they were engaged, as the rise upwards from the shaft is at the rate of about 1 in 12. It was Daly who first ascertained their position, when going to send a message to the top, and when he made the fearful discovery he immediately returned and informed his companions. As they found the water rising they almost abandoned themselves to despair, but when it reached it maximum height and then began to subside, hope again illumed their breasts. To mark the progress of the retiring water, they placed stones on the rails on which .the coal-hutches run, and they were thus enabled to know at what rate It was receding. It may be somewhat strange, but one of the men actually made a calculation that they would be rescued on or about Sunday. Another states that he felt quite resigned to his fate, and calmly awaited the issue, trusting fully in God to work his deliverance or not as He saw fit. Each man had a lamp burning when the accident occurred, and these were kept lighted till the oil was exhausted, after, which a small quantity of oil used for lubricating the wheels of the carriages was discovered and made of, and the men think that they thus had light for two days, after which, of course they were in total darkness. They sustained one another as they best could, and by degrees a firm belief entered their minds that they would be saved. They knew all about the exertions that were being made for their relief, and they distinctly heard the ascent and descent of the large square boxes which were used to lift the water out of the pit. The men had of course no distinct idea of time. One of them, when spoken to, imagined it might be Sunday, from the length of his beard ; the other two thought yesterday was Friday. It was fortunate for them that they had access to plenty of pure spring water; and as for hunger, Johnstone said he could have lived for some days longer as he had never felt hunger since the occurrence of the accident. They got some boards on which they lay when sleeping – for they did sleep with some degree of regularity, and they alternately lay in the centre, so that the heat might be equally shared. Up to the time they were discovered they had been 112 hours in the pit; or to the date of reaching the pit 114 hours. [Dundee Courier and Daily Argus 23 July 1861]

On Friday Alexander Laird, manager of the New Sheep Mount Pit was placed at the bar of the Glasgow Circuit Court, charged with culpable homicide. The indictment alleged neglect of duty, which led to the late Kelvinside coal-pit accident. Witnesses were examined, and the further trial of the case was adjourned until Saturday. [Dundee Courier and Daily Argus 30 September 1861]

24 August 1861

Fatal Accident Near Glasgow- On Saturday morning, about seven o'clock, while an engine driver , named Alexander Bunton, in the employment of the Summerlee colliery Company, was engaged shunting some waggons, in the absence of the stoker, at No 19 pit , Possil colliery, he accidentally lost his life by being jammed between the waggons. No person observed the sad occurrence. Deceased who lived at Keppoch Quarry, was married, and has left a widow and four children. [Scotsman 27 August 1861]

31 December 1861

Fatal Accident – A lad named Donnelly, aged 16 years, met his death while at his work in No 1 Pit, Newmains, by a fall of roof. From the great mass of coal that fell on him, death must have been instantaneous. [Herald January 3 1862]

14 January 1862

Fatal accident – On Tuesday the 14th inst a serious accident took place at the new sinking pit of Messrs James Ferguson and Co, Auchinheath, whereby one man, named John Thompson lost his life, and another, whose name we have as yet not ascertained, was dangerously injured. It appears that they were upon the night shift, and about 2 o'clock am, a large stone fell upon Thompson's head, from a height of from 5 to 6 fathoms, felling him to the ground, and some smaller ones upon the other. Thompson died upon Saturday from concussion of the brain – the other man, though seriously hurt, is likely to recover. Much sympathy is felt for Thompson's untimely fate, being much respected by his fellow workmen. He leaves a widow and large family totally unprovided for. [Hamilton Advertiser January 25 1862]

20 January 1862

Pit Accident – On Monday the 20th inst., about 2pm, while Robert Aitken miner, residing in Crawford Dyke St, Carluke, was along with another man ascending the shaft at No 2 Ironstone Pit, situated on the farm of Langshaw, near Carluke, and just in the act f stepping off the cage to follow his neighbour, who, fortunately for himself, just got clear, a bolt or nut of the machinery gave way, together with the gearing, precipitating Aitken to the bottom of the shaft – a depth of 30 fathoms, whereby his left foot and thigh-bone were severely fractured, his back, and other parts of his body, greatly injured. Dr Buglas was in attendance and did all he could to alleviate the sufferer, who, under the circumstances, is now progressing favourably. The accident was reported to the Fiscal, who is at present investigating the case, but the result is not yet known. [Hamilton Advertiser January 25 1862]

Pit Accident – Robert Aitken, reported in last weeks issue to have sustained severe injuries at No 2 ironstone pit, died on Tuesday the 28th ult., after intense suffering. He was a widower and left 4 orphan children. [Hamilton Advertiser February 1 1862]

5 February 1862

Fatal Pit Accident - On Tuesday, a collier, named James Young, residing in Shettleston, was accidentally killed in the Garibaldi Pit. His body was discovered by his brother John lying under a quantity of stones, which had fallen from the roof of the pit. The deceased has left a widow and two children. [Dunfermline Saturday Press 8 February 1862]

6 February 1862

Two Men Killed in Coal Pit – On Thursday two men named William Campbell and William Newton were killed in No 2 Polmadie Coal Pit, parish of Govan, by an explosion of powder. It appears that Campbell had been working in the crosscut mine, and that Newton is considered to have entered the powder magazine (contrary to orders), which is situated on the right side of the cross cut mine, to get a supply of powder, and that while supplying himself his lamp had in some way or other ignited the powder, and caused an explosion, which destroyed a part of the bratticing and roof of the mine, and thus caused the death of the two men. Campbell resided at Govan Colliery and Newton in Calton, Glasgow. [Herald February 10 1862]

6 February 1862

Glasgow – Fatal Accident In A Coal Pit – On Thursday afternoon, while a miner, named Robert Richardson, residing in Wardlawhill Street, Rutherglen, was engaged working at a coal “facing” in a pit at Stonelaw Colliery, the mass of coal gave way and fell upon the poor man, whereby he was instantaneously deprived of life. Deceased was only 19 years of age. [Scotsman 8 February 1862]

26 February 1862

Fatal Colliery Accident - Yesterday forenoon a fatal accident occurred in the Netherfield Colliery, Duke Street (leased by the Messrs. Robertson), in consequence of the fall of part of the roof, on a man named James M'Dowal or Busby. The unfortunate man was working at the coal face, and his death was instantaneous, It was his second day in the pit, and the occurrence was, we are informed, purely accidental. [Glasgow Herald 27 February 1862]

5 March 1862

Lesmahagow – Fatal Accident – On Monday last, a miner named Wm Loudon, while working in Draffan Pit, belonging to His Grace the Duke of Hamilton, got his leg broken by a fall from the roof. He was taken home where he was speedily and carefully attended by Dr Kerr. He grew worse about 10 o'clock the same evening and died on Wednesday morning, leaving a wife and four children to mourn his loss. [Hamilton Advertiser March 8 1862]

5 March 1862

Man Killed – A lad named Edward Russell, about 18 years of age, and a native of Donegal, Ireland, was killed at one of the Coltness Iron Company's open-casts, Kilncadzow, on Wednesday last, Hastie & Waddell, contractors. The circumstances were as follows:- A “fall” had come down the afternoon previous, and it being near the time of leaving off work was not removed till next day, and Russell, while assisting to clear it away was knocked down and killed by a large piece breaking off and rolling over upon him when in the act of stooping for his shovel. The night's frost had hardened it, which made it less resistible. His head apparently had received most of the stroke, for it was smashed to pieces, while the rest of his body sustained little damage. He had only been a few days in this country. [Hamilton Advertiser March 8 1862]

19 March 1862

Carluke – Another Boy Killed - On Wednesday the 19th inst., John Gilfillan, age 14, son of James Gilfillan, miner Mayfield Rows, Carluke, while at his work in Milton Pit, belonging to the Coltness Iron Co met with his death in the following manner:- He had just been engaged for that day in the room of another boy, who was absent, to couple and uncouple waggons at the foot of an incline in the workings, and while so employed a waggon filled with ironstone came away from the top of the incline on the descending line, and the boy not being aware of its approach had not the opportunity to escape, and was consequently struck by the waggon, receiving injuries from which he expired in four hours afterwards. Accidents of a fatal nature have been a frequent occurrence here of late. Parties engaged in, or in charge of, works of a dangerous kind ought to take warning, and use every caution to prevent, as far as possible, such melancholy disasters. [Hamilton Advertiser March 22 1862]

5 October 1862

Fatal Accident. - On Monday morning, a labourer named John Connor, residing at Fullarton, Tollcross, was killed at No. 2 Pit, Bogleshole, belonging to Clyde Ironworks, under the following circumstances:- While shunting forward a large truck of coal from under the screen he attempted to pass between the moving waggon and one that was standing laden when his head was caught between the buffers of the two waggons and he was killed on the spot. [Dunfermline Saturday Press 11 October 1862]

11 October 1862

Glasgow - Fatal Coal-Pit Accident - On Saturday morning an explosion of fire-damp took place in No. 4 Pit, Glasgow Road, Rutherglen, belonging to Mr William Dixon, whereby a roadsman named Thomas Robertson, residing at No. 90 Rose Street, Hutchesontown, was instantaneously deprived of life and two colliers, named Miller and Colquhoun, slightly burned. The fire-damp was ignited by a lamp carried by a collier named Sweenie, who was working at a coal “face.” Sweenie, we are informed, was told by Colquhoun not to proceed to the working with his lamp, but he paid no attention to the advice, went forward, and the explosion was the result. The case has been reported by the county police to the Sheriff. [The Dundee Courier & Argus 14 October 1862]

26 November 1862

Pit Accident - A fall from the roof of Newlands coal-pit , near Baillieston, occurred on Wednesday last, by which Charles Cross, Baillieston, one of the brushers , was dangerously injured. [Scotsman 28 November 1862]

13 January 1863

Rutherglen – Accident at Eastfield Laigh Coal Pit – On Tuesday morning while the miners were descending to their work in Eastfield Laigh Coal Pit, an accident occurred which luckily and extraordinarily considering the circumstances had no fatal termination. Three men were in the cage going down the shaft, when from some unexplained hindrance, the cage stuck fast about 6 fathoms from the bottom. A fire lit near the bottom of the pit for ventilating purposes was sending clouds of smoke up the shaft so dense that the three men were in danger of suffocation. One of them managed to get out of the cage and partly falling and partly scrambling to the bottom escaped with a few bruises. The other two named respectively William Watson and James Stewart, were not so fortunate, both falling out of the cage when overcome with the smoke and getting considerably hurt – Watson receiving severe injuries about the legs and Stewart getting his collar bone broken. Both were removed home. [Hamilton Advertiser 17 January 1863]

31 January 1863

Fatal Accident at a Coal Pit – On Saturday last, a lad 15 years of age, named John Crawford, residing with his father, a gardener in Armour Street, Govan, met with a fatal accident while working at No 2 ironstone pit (belonging to Messrs Colin Dunlop & Co), East Drumoyne in the parish of Govan. The lads duty was to take off full hutches at the pit mouth and substitute empty ones, and, while thus engaged on Saturday, he lost his balance and fell down the pit, which was 22 fathoms in depth. He was immediately after brought to the surface, but on reaching it the poor lad expired. [Hamilton Advertiser 7 February 1863]

10 February 1863

A man called M'Cartney was killed on Tuesday in an ironstone pit in Govan parish, near Glasgow by the fall of a quantity of stones from the roof of his working. [Scotsman 14 February 1863]

John McCartney aged 19 died Balgrayhill Partick, 10 February 1863

24 February 1863

Wishaw – Coal Pit Accident – On Tuesday morning a rather serious accident occurred at No 3 pit Carfin. It appears that while a man named Adam Campbell, collier, aged 22 years and a boy aged 12 years named Edward Murray, were ascending the shaft, and when about 10 or 12 fathoms from the bottom, the rope gave way and they, along with the cage, were precipitated to the bottom, the cage penetrating through the thick scaffold which divided the present working seam from the shaft to the main coal in progress of sinking. Campbell is injured on the back, but is not considered in danger; Murray is thought to be dangerously hurt. [Hamilton Advertiser 28 February 1863]

12 November 1863

Fatal Pit Accident - On Thursday, about three o'clock, a miner named Archibald Livingstone, about 24 years of age, a native of Rutherglen, came by his death very suddenly when working in No. 1 Pather Pit, the property of Messrs. Boyd & Spencer. Being behind his neighbours with his output he was advised by a neighbour to go to his working place as being more convenient to get the quantity of coal requisite to make out the ''darg." The roadsman went to deceased while he was in the act of taking coals off a "stoop'' and warned him of his danger in doing so. He carelessly answered he could take out the whole "stoop" without any risk, and the warning had scarcely been given when a stone weighing nearly five tons fell on the unfortunate man. Assistance was promptly at hand, but when, released life was extinct. [Glasgow Herald 14 November 1863]

21 November 1863

Melancholy Accident - On Saturday afternoon, between three and four o'clock, while a miner named Peter Drummond, residing at No. 40 Firhill Road, Springbank, was employed in Shangey Ironstone Pit, parish of Cadder, the property of the Carron Company, a stone weighing about 4 cwt. fell from the roof. The unfortunate man, who was working at the spot at the time, was so severely crushed by the stone that death was almost instantaneous. Deceased, who was 35 years of age, has left a widow and five children. [Dunfermline Press 25 November 1863]

8 March 1864

On Tuesday morning, a collier, named William Keith, was so severely injured in No. 5 Pit, Blackfaulds Colliery, Rutherglen, that he expired in about seven hours afterwards. [Dunfermline Press 16 March 1864]

16 March 1864

Fatal Coal Pit Accident at Wishaw - On Saturday afternoon, a boy of about 13 years of age, named William Henderson, lost his life under the following circumstances - James Henderson, the boy's father, is employed as a waggoner by Messrs Boyd & Spencer, at No 1 Pather Pit; the horse was drawing a waggon of dross, to which was attached an empty one. The waggons were suddenly brought to a stand, and it is supposed that the sudden stoppage caused the poor boy to lose his balance, and in the act of falling he was caught between the buffers of the waggons. When lifted by his father, it was found that life was extinct. [Dunfermline Press 16 March 1864]

2 April 1864

Carluke – Fatal Accident – An accident of a very melancholy nature occurred here on Saturday, the 2d inst. James Chalmers, 13 years of age, son of Mr John Chalmers, mineral borer, Carluke, while at work in Braidwood Meadow Pit, belonging to W S Dickson, Esq, was crushed by a fall of stones and rubbish from the face of the working. Death was instantaneous, his head having been split and dreadfully bruised. [Hamilton Advertiser 9 April 1864]

11 April 1864

Douglas – Accident – John Maxwell, collier, got himself severely crushed by a fall of coal, while at work in the new pit at Glespen Coal Works belonging to James Swan Esq on the 11th inst. He was promptly attended to by Messrs Meikle and Thorburn, surgeons, and is now considered on the way of recovery. [Hamilton Advertiser 16 April 1864]

14 April 1864

Carluke – Accident – On Thursday the 14th inst, James Cairns, miner Carluke, was severely bruised about the body and cut on the head by a fall from the roof in Burnbank limestone pit. He is doing well. [Hamilton Advertiser 23 April 1864]

18 April 1864

Motherwell – Fire Damp – On the morning of Monday last William Thomson, fireman Carfin, was severely burned about the face, head and arms by an explosion of fire damp in Braidhurst colliery. [Hamilton Advertiser 23 April 1864]

11 May 1864

Carluke – Accident – James Morton, miner, Carluke, was on Wednesday last severely injured by a fall in Burnbank Pit. Some of the bones of his arms were broken and he was otherwise injured on the body. [Hamilton Advertiser 14 May 1864]

12 May 1864

Pit Accident – On Thursday last an explosion of fire damp occurred at Newton Colliery in the parish of Cambuslang, whereby John Cunningham and James Devine, colliers were severely burned. Another workman named Fotheringham was slightly burned by the explosion. [Hamilton Advertiser 14 May 1864]

16 May 1864

Motherwell – Pit Accident – On Monday last, 16th instant, Alexander Mason, miner, a middle aged man, residing at Bell Row, Carfin, had a narrow escape with his life. Mason was employed by W S Dixon Esq in his No 3 Cleland Pit, and while engaged at the surface of the workings in raising coals a large stone fell from the roof, inflicting severe injuries. The medical assistance of Dr Thomson Motherwell, was called in, who, on examination, found that besides the bruises sustained, Mason had suffered a dislocation of the hip joint. [Hamilton Advertiser 21 May 1864]

18 May 1864

Fatal Accident – An accident of a very melancholy nature occurred in the vicinity of Motherwell colliery on Wednesday last. Hugh Boag, a labourer, 35 years of age, and residing in Campbell Street here, was, about 1 o'clock pm, engaged in “breaking” a number of empty trucks down an incline leading to the colliery beforementioned. He was standing on the “break” of the first truck and leaning back, when passing a number of other trucks which he had not observed, one of them struck him and knocked him across the rails, when one or two of the trucks passed over his legs a little below the knee, mutilating them in a frightful manner. In the fall he likewise received a scalp wound. Drs Thomson of Motherwell and Marshall of Hamilton were in attendance. He expired shortly after 5 o'clock in the afternoon. [Hamilton Advertiser 21 May 1864]

6 June 1864

Explosion of Fire Damp – On Monday morning as John M'Kay and James Stewart, colliers, and residing in Rumblingsykes, parish of Dalziel and David Beveridge, collier, residing at Netherton Colliery in the parish of Cambusnethan, had descended the shaft of Wellington or Craigneuk Colliery at Rumblingsykes, belonging to Messrs Merry & Cunningham, and were proceeding along one of the roads to their work, Beveridge having a Davy lamp and naked lamp in his hand, an explosion of fire damp took place, burning M'Kay and Stewart severely on the legs, arms, back and face, and Beveridge slightly on the hands. [Hamilton Advertiser 11 June 1864]

28 June 1864

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - On Tuesday morning, about two o’clock, while a redsman, named Samuel Owen, was sitting upon a stone in the underground working of the Caroline coal pit, Westmuir, smoking his pipe, a quantity of stone fell from the roof upon him. Two of his comrades who were working near the spot went to his assistance; but before they could clear the debris from the body of Owen he expired. Deceased was twenty-eight years of age, and unmarried. f[The Dundee Courier & Argus 30 June 1864]

6 July 1864

Lamentable Occurrence - Yesterday morning, about five o'clock, a redsman named Thomas Conway, residing at No. 3 Thomson's Lane, Calton, was instantaneously deprived of life under the following distressing circumstances : - It appears that Conway was employed in the Laigh Coal Pit, Eastfield Colliery, belonging to T. G. Buchanan, Esq;, of Scotstown, and after finishing his labour yesterday morning he was in the act of stepping into the cage at the bottom of the pit for the purpose of being raised to the surface, when he was struck on the head by a stone weighing about 56 lbs., which fell from some part of the shaft. The stone smashed the iron roof of the cage, and the poor man's head was so dreadfully shattered that death was instantaneous. Deceased was 20 years of age, and unmarried. A redsman named Robert M'Dade was standing near deceased when the accident occurred, and he made a narrow escape. [Glasgow Herald 9 July 1864]

17 September 1864

Cambuslang - Pit Accident - On Saturday afternoon last a boy named John Cochrane, in the employment of Mr Kidston, Newton Colliery, got himself severely injured. It would appear that he had been sitting at the furnace (which stands about 6 yards from the bottom of the pit) when a stone of about 2 cwts became detached from the roof, and fell upon him. His right leg was fractured, and his body otherwise greatly injured. [Hamilton Advertiser 24 September 1864]

1 November 1864

Motherwell - Pit Accident - On Tuesday morning a drawer, named Andrew Naismith, residing at Newarthill, got himself severely injured while in the No 11 pit, belonging to the Monkland Iron and Steel Co. Naismith was proceeding from the face of the working to the pit bottom with a loaded hutch, when he became jammed between two hutches, and had his left arm broken. Dr Barrie was in immediate attendance. [Hamilton Advertiser 5 November 1864]

10 January 1865

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - A little after six o'clock yesterday morning, an explosion of fire-damp took place in Dalzell Colliery, leased by Mr. J, P. Kidston, whereby William Connor, a drawer; residing in Hamilton, was killed, and John Heron, a drawer, also residing in Hamilton, was burned. It appears that Connor had gone, while proceeding from the main road in the pit to his work, to a recess from off the main road, with his naked lamp, and that immediately thereafter the explosion took place. This recess has not been wrought for at least half a dozen years. The body of Connor was conveyed to his residence by a horse and cart. Heron was also taken to his house. Heron's injuries are considered not to be of a serious nature. [Glasgow Herald 11 January 1865]

16 January 1862

The Hartley Colliery Accident - The Hamilton Advertiser says: - "The late accident at Newcastle has thrown a gloom over this neighbourhood, the more so in consequence of a number of the miners suffocated in the workings having belonged to this locality, and whose friends and relatives live in this place. The names of the persons who lost their lives are as follow :- John Hodge, David Wyper, Robert Kelso, Thomas Veitch, Barney M'Coll, and J. Millar, who were all well known and much respected here." [Dunfermline Saturday Press 1 February 1862]

2 February 1865

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - On Thursday last, a lad named John Letham, 16 years of age, son of Mrs. Letham, a widow, residing at Queenslie, near Shettleston, was instantaneously deprived of life, under the following circumstances. The poor lad was working in No. 2 coal pit, situated at Garthamlock leased by Mr. James Panton, coalmaster, when a stone, weighing about a ton, fell from the roof upon the lad's head and body, whereby he was killed on the spot. [Glasgow Herald 8 February 1865]

9 February 1865

Fatal Colliery Accident - On Thursday last week, John Brown, a middle-aged man was employed along with other workmen, at Carfin Colliery, filling coals at a bing. He had gone to the pit mouth with a hutch, the “shuts" seemingly not being in a proper position. Brown shoved the hutch forward, which fell down the pit, dragging him after it. The pit is about 60 fathoms in depth, so that death must have been instantaneous. [Dunfermline Saturday Press 18 February 1865]

20 April 1865

Fatal Coal Pit Accident - Yesterday morning, about seven o'clock, a drawer, named Alex. M'Gowan, residing in Shettleston, was accidentally killed in No. 1 Pit; Greenfield Colliery, by being jammed against the roof of one of the workings by a loaded waggon, the progress of which he had neglected to check in time. Deceased, who was killed on the spot, was13 years of age,and the only support of his mother. [Glasgow Herald 20 April 1865]

3 January 1866

Motherwell – Explosion of Fire damp – One Man Killed And Two Injured – On Wednesday evening last, about 10 o'clock, a serious explosion of fire damp occurred in the No 1 Pit, Motherwell. The pit, which belongs to John Watson, jun, Esq, of Craigneuk, had been on fire about a month ago, and for the purpose of putting out the fire, was at the time sealed up, and was opened for the first time on Tuesday last. As soon as the pit was opened, competent men were sent down to examine the workings, and these found the fire entirely out. Three men were sent down on Wednesday to clean out the stables, to prepare for the horses being sent down on Thursday, and the work of the colliery being resumed. Before the men were sent down the whole of the workings were examined by the fireman with the naked lamp, and no signs of firedamp were discovered. After the men had been down some time, and had cleaned out two of the stables, they ceased work and came up the pit for supper. On returning and again beginning work, a fearful explosion of firedamp took place. On the alarm being given Mark Gold, the fireman at No 1 Pit, procured a safety lamp, and at once went donw to ascertain the extent of the damage done. It was found that one of the men, named Archd. Levats, driver, age 23, had been killed; another named Andrew Wilson, reddsman, had his leg broken, and a third, named Andrew Gold, was so severely burned that his life is despaired of. On Thursday, Wilson's leg had to be amputated. [Hamilton Advertiser 6 January 1866]

Motherwell – The Late Explosion of Firedamp – The young man, named Andrew Gold, who was so severely burned by an explosion of firedamp in No 1 Pit, Motherwell, on the 3d inst, died of his injuries on Friday evening last week. [Hamilton Advertiser 13 January 1866]

16 January 1866

Carluke – Pit Accident – On Tuesday the 16th inst., Bernard Condulan, miner at Mauldslie Colliery, got his leg broken by contact with a hutch running down the incline, and also sustained other slight injuries. This is the first accident that has occurred at this colliery, which has been in existence about 3 years. [Hamilton Advertiser 20 January 1866]

1 February 1866

Douglas – Fatal Accident – On Thursday last an accident happened at the Glespin Colliery, which resulted in the death of James Inglis, collier. It is said that Inglis was getting into the cage for the purpose of being drawn up the pit, when a false signal was given by one of the workmen to the engine keeper. The cage was thereby lifted too soon, before Inglis had got himself into the right position, and his head coming in contact with the roof he was dreadfully bruised. He died before they could get him out the pit. [Hamilton Advertiser 3 February 1866]

December 17 1867

Fatal Accident – On Thursday morning about 5 o'clock, at the coal-pit on the farm of Draffan, belonging to the Nitshill and Lesmahagow Coal Coy., an accident occurred by which James Barrie, son of Robert Barrie, farmer, Lanark, lost his life. It appeared that the unfortunate young man, who had been only a short time working at the pit, had been pushing an empty waggon or hutch onto the cage at the pithead, but had, in the darkness, mistaken and pushed it on the side where the cage was down. He fell with the waggon to the bottom of the shaft, which was very deep, and death was necessarily instantaneous. His mangled remains were brought home to the house of his afflicted parents during the day. [Hamilton Advertiser December 21 1867]

14 January 1868

Fatal Coal Pit Accident – On Tuesday, a drawer named Robert Paterson, 16 years of age, son of James Paterson, collier, residing at Provanhall, was instantaneously deprived of life under the following circumstances:- It appears that the unfortunate young man was employed in No 5 pit Provanhall, and while he was leaning against a prop or pillar at the horse brae in the main road, waiting for his brother, who was coming with an empty hutch, the prop gave way, and a portion of the roof, weighing about a ton, fell upon the poor fellow, causing instantaneous death [Herald January 18 1868]

14 April 1869

Glasgow Fatal Accident - On Wednesday morning an accident occurred in No. 4 coal pit, Glasgow Road, parish of Rutherglen, which resulted in the death of a miner named Patrick Shields, twenty-one years of age, residing in Blackfaulds Row, Rutherglen. It appears that while Shields was at work a block of coal fell from the "face" and injured him so severely that he died in a few hours afterwards. [16 April 1869]

20 August 1869

Serious Accident - Early on Friday morning while a miner named William Brown, residing at 21 Dale Street, Bridgeton, was working at No 3 Stonelaw Pit, Rutherglen, a large stone from the roof fell upon him. The stone, which fell across his body was speedily removed by his neighbour workmen. Brown, who received serious internal injuries, was removed home. [Glasgow Herald 23 August 1869]

14 September 1869

Pit Accident - On Tuesday last Thomas Marshall, miner, residing at Davisdyke, met with an accident in No. 2 Pit, Davisdyke. Marshall was engaged filling a hutch with rubbish at the face of the workings when a fall of ironstone cams away from the roof upon him and cut his face and fractured his skull. Dr Miller attended. [Glasgow Herald 18 September 1869]

12 October 1869

Serious Coal Pit Accident - Yesterday, a miner named Dominick Finneran, 18 years of age, residing at 130 Main Street Rutherglen, met with a serious accident in Eastfield High Coal Pit, belonging to Mr Buchanan. It appears that Finneran was requested by John Allardice, underground manager, to proceed towards an old shaft and fetch a hammer. He did so, and immediately on reaching the old shaft an explosion of foul air took place. Finneran, fearing that he would be burned to death, leaped down the shaft, which is 14 feet from the spot on which he stood. He was very severely burned on the face and arms from the effects of the explosion, and his body was severely bruised by the fall. Finneran was attended by Dr Gorman, Rutherglen. [Glasgow Herald 13 October 1869]

22 December 1869

Fatal Coal Pit Accident -Yesterday morning, a collier named Connelly residing at Sandyhills Square, Shettleston, was instantaneously deprived of life in No. 9 Pit, Mount Vernon, by a portion of the roof falling upon him. [Glasgow Herald 23 December 1869]

24 April 1870

An accident of a very distressing nature took place yesterday morning at No. 1 coal pit, Motherwell, whereby a boy, named James Evans, was killed, and two men, named James Brown and James Black, were injured. The deceased and the men, who are both pony drivers, were being lowered to the bottom of the shaft, when the machinery was suddenly reversed, and the cage thrown over the pulley-wheel. The deceased was precipitated to the bottom of the pit and killed, and the two men were thrown to the ground and injured about the body. Evans' brother was in charge of the machinery [Scotsman 25 April 1870]

3 June 1870

Carluke - Man Killed. - On Friday last, Alexander Hamilton, miner, Kilncadzow, a lad about 17 or 18 years of age, was killed by a fall from the working in which he was engaged - No. 2 Lime Pit, Waygateshaw, belonging to W. Dixon, Calder Ironworks. Hamilton was bossing, and the piece of limestone which he was undermining having come down unexpectedly, he was crushed beneath it, and instantaneously killed. The weight of the block was estimated to be between two and three tons. [Glasgow Herald 6 June 1870]

1 July 1870

Motherwell – Accident – On Friday 1st inst., David Crawford, 17 yearsof age, residing at Watsonville, near Motherwell, got himself slightly burned in the Lady Emily Pit, by an explosion of fire gas. Crawford was proceeding to the face of the workings when the accident happened, which was fortunately not of a serious nature. [Hamilton Advertiser 9 July 1870]

18 July 1870

Lanark – Fatal Accident – on Monday, Jas Dempster, miner, Lesmahagow, while working in No 1 pit, Poniel, belonging to the Monkland Iron and Steel Company, a large stone fell from the roof upon him. He was so severely bruised that he died in about three hours. [Hamilton Advertiser July 23 1870]

7 November 1870

Fatal Pit Accident – On Monday morning a fatal accident befell Matthew Know, 19 years of age, residing with his father Robert Knox, in Back Brick Row, Carfin. The young man was employed as a collier in Mr W S Dixon's No 3 Pit, Carfin Colliery, and while engaged taking out stoop coal, a large fall came away from the roof by which the poor young man was instantaneously deprived of life. [Hamilton Advertiser November 12 1870]

12 November 1870

Cambuslang – Accident – About 4 o'clock on Saturday afternoon, John Eadie, waggoner, Tabernacle Row, Cambuslang, sustained severe injury to the leg at No 4 pit, Cambuslang Colliery. He was in the act of snibbling some waggons when the snibble missed its hold sprung back and struck him on the legs, throwing him on the rails in front of one of the waggons, which passed over his right leg, below the knee, almost cutting it asunder. He was promptly attended by Dr John Turnbull, who ordered his removal to Glasgow Infirmary. [Hamilton Advertiser November 19 1870]